Out in the Shed

Lawrence

A couple of shots of the progress so far:

The upper track plan is now complete so (despite being sidetracked with playing with leds) it is now a case of getting things wired up.  Many of the points were purchased second hand so didn't come with the connectors but that was no big deal as I just soldered wires to the pins maintaining the same format on all points.  These all have to be fed back to the Kato switches, I have also added a couple of extra power feeds to the inner loop as it was a bit erratic for some reason, the outer loop has not yet been fully tested.

Local station

shed1_zps69e6db77.jpg

Main Station, straight out of the box absolutely no work done to it yet.

shed3_zpsaa0d018b.jpg

Start of the town

shed2_zps30ca8033.jpg

Fortunately I never wired an aircraft like this  :laughing11:

shed4_zpsba315120.jpg

and the local station with some of the lighting installed, I didn't want it all bright white lights so I fitted a warm white in there too

station1_zps25bc0607.jpg

station2_zpse6f34934.jpg

I think there are 14 points in all to wire up (still waiting on some connectors from Hong Kong for the point switches) plus any additional power feeds the outer loop may require.  Then there is all and any building lighting I may install, after that I may get down to doing some scenic work.

I forgot, there are the powered Tomix signals to wire up and the instructions are all in Japanese and I don't have a clue!

Good job this is a long term project  :D

• Like 5

Nice! It's always great to see a layout bullding up! Didnt realise that the Kato local station was so detailed right out of the box! Wished i had space for one..

Really envy having a shed all just for running trains... Must be really sweet!

Anxious to see more of your layout!

*Erm perhaps an admin can assist to shift this thread to the Personal Projects thread? I think we would all love to see Lawerence's project blossom over time ~

Ooohhh, looking good! You have great taste!

Although not Japanese, I spotted a nice US locomotive.

@JR500

I think the local station is made up of these Tomytec and Greenmax kits:

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10129152

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10182137

You are quite correct Densha, on both counts :)

The station building and platforms will both need to be raised up slightly as they are too low for the Kato track and I will have to extend the platform edges somehow or cut off the lower lip of the platforms as they will be too far from the trains otherwise.

The American loco is an Atlas GE U36B, the lower layout will be an American layout based on the Baltimore & Ohio RR and whilst the B&O did not own any U36Bs they did lease a couple so when I got the chance of this one at a good price, well who was I to refuse :D it does run beautifully on the Kato track I must say

Station with the roof off showing the led positioning

station3_zps83df0d74.jpg

The little foam blocks are painted black inside, the idea is to prevent any light bleeding out

Hi Lawrence Densha:

Yes my bad. I thought it was the Kato Sub-urban station kit:  http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10019971

Very nicely done Lawrence. Yes the black paint sure helps to block out the light especially when the LEDs are very bright. I need to do the same to my buildings too, esp the Tomytec ones. I find the walls/ paint too thin on the Tomytec models and the LEDs just almost simply shine through...

Very nicely done Lawrence. Yes the black paint sure helps to block out the light especially when the LEDs are very bright. I need to do the same to my buildings too, esp the Tomytec ones. I find the walls/ paint too thin on the Tomytec models and the LEDs just almost simply shine through...

Back in the Netherlands, I have solved this with glueing aluminium foil on the insides of my Tomytec buildings. You can also use this foil to conduct power as well if you need it. Aluminium blocks the light almost 100% and it's in everybody's kitchen cupboard.

• Like 1