Kato Oriental Express Complete Set with engine

to2leo

CaptOblivious

Hate to sound dumb,

I've got the set BUT it seems the stanadrd set isn't a complete set.

I've got blue 2 boxes of carriages, and a plastic box with the round house loco.

So what bits am I missing from a COMPLETE set ???

veejo, could you elaborate?

Quote from a previous post

"From what I've been able to figure out, the Orient Express never ran with only the steam locomotive (the Kato Roundhouse release), but always had the EF58-61 running along with it. I think they just hooked up the D51 498 in front of the EF58-61 for special runs",

Although I have the 13 peice set, It doesn't have this engine. A quick google and resultant picture reveals it comes with the emblem on the loco, etc like the steam loco.

Non for sale on ebay, but if I can find one, it would definitely make a great 14th item to the set, and match it very well.

Martijn Meerts

The EF58-61 had another production run when Kato released the Orient Express. Should be possible to find one somewhere.

The locomotive itself doesn't come with the header board, but it should be included with the Orient Express car set(s).

The EF58-61 had another production run when Kato released the Orient Express. Should be possible to find one somewhere.

The locomotive itself doesn't come with the header board, but it should be included with the Orient Express car set(s).

BTW it's not the first time that EF58 61 was released, the fist was 5-6 years ago whit imperial train set ) whit imperial arms and 2 jap falgs

ciao

Massimo

Martijn Meerts

The current release is the same as the old one, with the Japanese flags etc, but they come as additional parts.

The Orient Express car sets come with a header board for the EF58 ;)

(Btw, you should be careful with saying Jap, it's still considered discriminating/degoratory for many Japanese)

The current release is the same as the old one, with the Japanese flags etc, but they come as additional parts.

The Orient Express car sets come with a header board for the EF58 ;)

(Btw, you should be careful with saying Jap, it's still considered discriminating/degoratory for many Japanese)

sure???

I use this nick from 10 years, I've thinking like a composite name Giappone+mania (crazy for Japan or man that love all things from Japan) in Italian language

so reduced is giappomania (whit J because is much better for me)

I'm really sorry if someone find my name offensive :-(

thank's for this info

ciao

Massimo

Martijn Meerts

Oh, I wasn't referring to your nickname, just the word "Jap".. While it makes sense to shorten Japanese to "Jap", it's a term used a lot during WW2 (and before that as well) .. Sort of like calling an American a Yank or something. Most won't mind, but a few won't like it ;)

GREAT NEWS! Looks like this set is being re-released in Feb 2012! It's oddly absent from their English pages though... Looks like the D51 will also be re-released, but based on the recent D51 instead of the old one! Yippee!!

http://www.1999.co.jp/10077140

http://www.1999.co.jp/10077141

http://www.1999.co.jp/10167008

I've been holding on paying the exorbitant prices for these in the hopes that Kato would re-release it, and I guess my prayers have been answered! Woohoo another $400+ down the drain (better than double that though LOL).

Guest Closed Account 1

Didn't they double head the steamers?

I have the D51 SL and D51 498 and that's what I plan to do to pull my passenger cars.

Waiting for the front couplers for my Kato Mikado's to double head them. DCC.

Kato will use the new D51-498 tooling-good news.

The bad news is, this time is really selling in Japan only. Online retailer all deny international sell so far.

Martijn Meerts

Might have to try and get the new D51, even though I already have the old Kato Roundhouse one, as well as a MicroAce D51-498 (not the Orient Express version).

Not sure if they ran double headed steam, but they often used the imperial EF58-61 in combination with the D51-498.

Might have to try and get the new D51, even though I already have the old Kato Roundhouse one, as well as a MicroAce D51-498 (not the Orient Express version).

Not sure if they ran double headed steam, but they often used the imperial EF58-61 in combination with the D51-498.

D51 498 might have been the only operating steam loco JR East had at the time, we're talking 1988 here.

SURE!

How many do you want? 10? 20? 100?

bob@bttrains.com and let me know. We will have a box coming over in January with some stuff and another BIG skid around the first of March to feed Supertrain 2012 (if we go). If the order gets to be more than 5 units I will knock 5% off of everyone's order.

Bob

We will have a box coming over in January with some stuff and another BIG skid around the first of March to feed Supertrain 2012 (if we go).

Might be a little late for Supertrain... Applications for exhibitors was due back in November and after that, you're on a wait list. The list of exhibitors thus far seem quite full! I guess the good news for me is, if you did NOT come, I'd save a ton of money...  :grin :grin Would be nice to meet you though.  :cool:

FYI, there might be more options to pre-order your the Kato 2016-2.  The pre-order price is at 9000 Yen.

http://global.rakuten.com/ja/store/a-toys/item/1000000293043/

1000000293043_1.jpg

渋谷模型楽天 rakuten@shibuyamokei.co.jp via rakuten.co.jp

Thank you for your inquiry with Shibuyamokei. We could  be ship to

worldwide. Please choose country on the website.

but, This product will be ship  after sales on manufacturer, it will be

february in this year.

Unfortunately,We cannot put it on hold for you at October this year.

Thanks.

with Kind regards,

Shibuyamokei.

■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■□■

渋谷模型

〒150-0031 東京都渋谷区桜丘町3-1 TNビル3F

TEL:03-3463-9600 FAX:03-5728-6250

担当者:木村・大森・橋田

店舗連絡先: rakuten@shibuyamokei.co.jp

Martijn Meerts

Doesn't look like the Orient Express version though.. The Orient Express version had various markings on the tender

D51 498 might have been the only operating steam loco JR East had at the time, we're talking 1988 here.

That is correct, I jsut did some internet searching and found out that only D51 498 was the only Steam Locomotive at that time that was restored and able to run. The C57's were not looked at until after the 90's.

There were three Steam Trains in the JR East but only 1 was operational (being D51 489) The other steam trains were the C57 180 (Operational in 1999) and the C61 20 (Operational 2011)

Please note: the translation (Google Translation) has made it very hard to understand with the jibberish way of translating and then trying to reword it to understand it.

Just let someone you may not know already.

Kato cancelled "Sold in Japan only" limitation. Everyone should be able to preorder form Japan retailer now. My source reply me and I did my preorder for D51-498 2016-2.  :grin

After a long wait and finding a new online shop, my D51-498 2016-2 had arrived yesterday via EMS.

I have posted several pictures as a comparison to other Kato's steamers that I have purchased for the past years.

The details in this latest offering is simply amazing.  Also, the steamer continues to shrink in comparison to older Kato ones, I guess this is the true size? 

It is the smoothest and quietest Kato engine with traction tires that I owned so far.

Feel free to ask if you have questions.

post-60-13569930452684_thumb.jpg

post-60-13569930453811_thumb.jpg

post-60-13569930455663_thumb.jpg

post-60-13569930457083_thumb.jpg

post-60-13569930458579_thumb.jpg

post-60-13569930460114_thumb.jpg

post-60-13569930489478_thumb.jpg

post-60-13569930491178_thumb.jpg

My only question is, where can I get one? :)

This is my first purchase from them but not my first from shopping at their store in Tokyo.

e-mail rakuten@shibuyamokei.co.jp  and let them know you are interested and start using their registration system using translation.

They do ship oversea and have a Rakuten site but you have to contact them in order to proceed with the transaction.

Martijn Meerts

Massimo, thanks for the link, ended up ordering it :) It might be more expensive than elsewhere, but I trust PlazaJapan, and he's got good service. Besides, a Fleischmann or Minitrix steamer with that kinda detail and running characteristics would cost 3x as much :)

To2leo, bit hesitant ordering by mail using some translating engine for the registration process. Knowing my luck I'd end up ordering 20 of something I really don't need ;)

The question now is, what to do with the Kato Roundhouse version of this loco :)