more interesting scenes to model

Actually if done right green roofs are very low maintaince!

Quite spectacular to make a small green mountain in a city!

Jeff

Green roofs also help reduce heating/cooling for the building (for larger topped-ones anyway) as dirt plus vegetation is a pretty good insulator. And with enough of them, they help to reduce the "heat island" effect in cities, so there can be benefits from forward-thinking local authorities for doing it.  That said, it does look "odd" enough that it might be too jarring on a layout.

I think the "viking trojan dog" (or whatever it is supposed to be) is a similar kind of thing.  Cool, and believable in a real-world photo, but just a little too off the beaten path to seem "right" on a model.

And I now have the perfect excuse for leaving my tools on the layout when I'm running trains: they're modern sculpture. :-)

• Like 1

It would take space to do something like acros on a layout, but it did give me the idea of doing a green roof on a smaller, more traditional building!

Trojan dog is small enough to be a little surprise and not stick out too much.

Ive always planned to have a nice plaza area somewhere where different fun art installations can be rotated through as I have a bunch of them now. Been planning on getting some finished and over to curt's layout on his big plaza.

Jeff

Edited by cteno4

I loved to spend time on top of the ARCOS building when I was living in Fukuoka. It's so calm end refreshing, and the view on the city is quite nice!!

big tip of the hat to japanese aesthetics in design there, really is an amazing building to do in a city, just want a city center needs to restore some calm and beauty. even really nicely done buildings and plazas are pretty to the eye, but rarely calming and relaxing like that.

on my list to visit next trip!

jeff

I like to see the diorama and model railway.  I also like to eat snow crab ;)

But I never see snow crab restaurant modelled in diorama or model railway.

I wanted to insert image, but could not.

I like to see the diorama and model railway.  I also like to eat snow crab ;)

But I never see snow crab restaurant modelled in diorama or model railway.

I wanted to insert image, but could not.

Ochanomizu, your post reminds me of Kasumi Station:

640px-Kasumi_sta06n4592.jpg

Great one! This is one of the fun things modeling Japanese rail, getting to do fun little details like this! Wonderful thing when someone's eye finds a detail like this! Don't see this on us or euro rail stations! Like painted trains it brings some great fun and design to usually boring and mundain situations.

Jeff

Edited by cteno4