Shin Koiwa Promotional video

KenS

I just stumbled across this:

It looks like a promotional video, or perhaps a clip taped out of the middle of some show, from the '70s (based on the automobiles) for the Shin Koiwa Rolling Stock Center.  It shows sales people showing pictures of freight cars, and various stages of assembly and scrapping.

The video is low quality (some of the welding scenes are just pixel noise), but there are a lot of interesting visible details here.

• Like 3

1983.  The first part is about the selling off of 45,000 surplus boxcars (wamu 60000, 70000, and 80000 types) to the public for 130,000 to 170,000 yen each for use as storage sheds and the like.   They were to become surplus after the Feb. 1984 discontinuation of wagonload freight services and closing of hump yards in favor of trainload services and simplified flat yards.

Edited by bikkuri bahn

U.S. railroads did the same thing with surplus cabooses after crew sizes were reduced and the caboose eliminated from most freight in the '80s.  You saw a lot of those being used as road-side stores for a time, although most didn't last (probably had more scrap value and made poor buildings due to the lack of insulation and steel walls limiting cell phone use).  I recall the prices for those being around $12K though, quite a bit more than the Wamu's.

I'm not sure what a surplus ISO container goes for these days, but you see those being used as sheds fairly often. At least where zoning laws allow it here, and I don't think Japan has much in the way of zoning laws.

In the UK, you can pick up a used 20 foot container for around £750. Delivery is extra.

Prices go up to about £4500 for a "single use" insulated, mint condition 40 footer.

I always fancied a caboose as a hobby shed, Although getting one shipped to the UK, is likely to be eye wateringly expensive.

Edited by Mr Frosty