"Tōhoku Emotion" tourist train coming Fall 2013

Sacto1985

According to this article in Rocket News 24:

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2013/02/09/tohoku-emotion-japans-newest-tourism-incentive-where-the-journey-is-the-star/

JR East will this fall launch the Tōhoku Emotion train, essentially a dining car train that serves Tōhoku regional cuisine while diners watch the scenery go by along the rail tracks in the Tōhoku region. 

Here are two images from the proposed train:

Exterior

tohoku-emotion-1.jpg?w=600&h=335

Interior of kitchen car

tohoku-emotion.jpg?w=600&h=271

The train is based on modified KiHa 110 DMU's.

Edited by Sacto1985
  • Like 1

Hmmm... I don't know if I want my beloved KiHa 110 series to be made to look so awful from the outside. They shouldn't be redundant either because there's still tons of KiHa40's to replace if they want to.

I'm curious how many cars the train will consist of, and if it will make use of KiHa111/112 cars too.

Hmmm... I don't know if I want my beloved KiHa 110 series to be made to look so awful from the outside. They shouldn't be redundant either because there's still tons of KiHa40's to replace if they want to.

I'm curious how many cars the train will consist of, and if it will make use of KiHa111/112 cars too.

3 cars.  Kiha 110 likely have more spacious interiors and more modern HVAC systems, kiha 40s are notorious for their wasteful use of space, a result of union meddling in the 1970's.

3 cars.  Kiha 110 likely have more spacious interiors and more modern HVAC systems, kiha 40s are notorious for their wasteful use of space, a result of union meddling in the 1970's.

While KiHa 40 series trains have been successfully converted to tourist trains (e.g., Hayato no Kaze and Ibusuki no Tamatebako on JR Kyushu), the relatively low roof height and the fact they were originally designed not with modern HVAC in mind meant they were probably rejected as trainsets for Tōhoku Emotion service.

The exterior look is a bit odd.  Are they trying to look like brick? On a train body?

Sometimes I just don't get the Japanese visual esthetic.

Of course ad-men and conceptual artists are a breed apart anyway.  Sometimes I don't get the "North American esthetic" they come up with either. :-)

But still: brick? really?

The exterior look is a bit odd.  Are they trying to look like brick? On a train body?

Sometimes I just don't get the Japanese visual esthetic.

Of course ad-men and conceptual artists are a breed apart anyway.  Sometimes I don't get the "North American esthetic" they come up with either. :-)

But still: brick? really?

Yes, the concept is one of "art, design, and food".  The train is supposed to be a restaurant on wheels, thus the exterior treatment. That said, the JR East press release says the design is still preliminary, and the picture is just an image. I don't see a Japanese visual aesthetic, whatever that is.  The designer in charge of the exterior is the fellow who designed the exterior of the Ferrari Enzo.

http://www.jreast.co.jp/press/2012/20130203.pdf