KATO hobby centre Tokyo

heNk

The place is awesome. They have the whole catalog (with a few exceptions) in stock. And I mean the WHOLE catalog! Spare assembly parts as well, so a scratchbuilders' heaven.

CaptOblivious

Been to the Osaka store. I don't know if it is as big, but the selection (and the glass display cases) are jaw-dropping, including racks of spare parts. I was also very pleased at my ability to get a couple of my locos repaired quickly (about a week, since it had to be shipped to Tokyo) and cheaply (about USD 10 for both), despite the cashier's total lack of English.

Edited by CaptOblivious

That will be a must see next time I'll be able to travel to Japan.... awesome!!!!!

Now I need not only the money for plain, hotel and food, but also the same amount for train acquiring!!

Hey

Does anyone know if they have moved back to the original address , website is still showing new address, but also says finish renovation Jan 2014 ??

Planning to go in Oct 2014.

Brian

Nick_Burman

Hey

Does anyone know if they have moved back to the original address , website is still showing new address, but also says finish renovation Jan 2014 ??

Planning to go in Oct 2014.

Brian

Judging from the Kato Japanese site, the store has returned to its previous location, although there is still some work being undertaken (like restoring the Keikyu interurban which sits outside...).

Cheers NB

Nick_Burman

〒161-0031 東京都新宿区西落合1-24-10

Nishi-Ochiai 1-24-10, Shinjuku-ku, Tokyo, PO Box 161-0031

Nearest metro station Ochiaiminaminagasaki (ouffff!!!) on the Oedo Line. Exit gate A1

Cheers NB

nscalestation

Wow, it looks like they built a whole new building on the site.  Totally unrecognizable from the old store. I expect to be in Tokyo sometime later this year and I'll look forward to visiting this new store.

On my visit to Tokyo we set aside the whole day to visit the old store. No problem getting to Ochiai-Minami-Nagasaki station (I even remembered the station name by heart).

Finding the Kato store was another story. Left the map at the hotel in Ikebukuro and spent 4 hours scouring the streets near the station looing for the Kato Store. Ended up heading back to the station via a different entrance and ..... Found an advertisment with the map to the store!!!

It was an awesome store back then but now it's incredible. Im looking foward to going and having a look in person (and spend more time at the store than looking for it :) )

• Like 1
Nick_Burman

On my visit to Tokyo we set aside the whole day to visit the old store. No problem getting to Ochiai-Minami-Nagasaki station (I even remembered the station name by heart).

Finding the Kato store was another story. Left the map at the hotel in Ikebukuro and spent 4 hours scouring the streets near the station looing for the Kato Store. Ended up heading back to the station via a different entrance and ..... Found an advertisment with the map to the store!!!

It was an awesome store back then but now it's incredible. Im looking foward to going and having a look in person (and spend more time at the store than looking for it :) )

That's why it pays off to print maps of store locations - and in some cases, pictures of the storefronts themselves - before setting off.

Cheers NB

quite a nice shop! That aint cheap construction or interior detailing. I wish they had gone for more wood and glass with some of the display bits as its so much gentler on the eye. those plex and steel things at the top of the stairs make it seem like they are storing the hope diamond, not a model train meant to be played with! plant the wrong idea in the sub conscious and folks will follow it of things being to expensive and delicate to use! Also makes them harsher on your display as we tend to just react badly as humans when things are locked down on us. like the wood on the bannister, nice finish.

jeff

If I only had limited time in Tokyo I'd rather spend the time browsing the hobby shops in Akihabara. The Kato shop might have all the glitz and glamour but they also have list prices and only stock Kato (which is understandable).  On my last few trips they have been near the bottom of my to-do list.

Nice shop.  Wish they spent some of their profits on the factory so they get their models out quicker.

Kato are quick, I've spent years waiting for stuff from some U.S. manufacturers.