• E2 Series Shinkansen
    • E3 Series Shinkansen
    • E4 Series Shinkansen
    • E5 Series Shinkansen
    • E6 Series Shinkansen
    • Doctor Yellow (all)
    • Fastech 360 (or other proto)

CaptOblivious

Forgive the heresy, but isn't that sort of a waste of platform space? What's *in* that long nose?

Insurance against <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tunnel_boom">tunnel boom</a>.

Don - this comes under the heading of "Wow, I didn't know that!" Really interesting information.

I'm trying to find the original source for the claim that longer noses help reduce tunnel boom (hence the dramatic shift in shape between the 300 and 500 series, and why the 500's can operate at such high speeds), but the tradeoff is a loss of seating capacity (well, this much is obvious, just looking at it!). Google is not my friend today…someone else got a link?

Thanks for sharing. It really show you how long the Shinkansens are and what a evolution in design especially in 1990 with the 300 series to 6 years later to the 500.

While I'm drawn to the original series 0... its gotta be the 300 just for sheer mean looks.. the air gets outa the way just out of fear alone I'm sure

Graham

• Like 1

As the 300 Series looks badass, like a Cylon from Battlestar Galaxtica, my vote goes out for the 0 Series. It's just simple and beautiful. Hard-corel, low-tech velocity.

Ha, I am the only one who voted for 100 series.

Looks like a more modern but still "bullet" train, huge windows, had restaurant cars, had bi-level cars in the middle of the consist.  To me, the most interesting shinkansen model.

I like the maint train, the East i. Please add it to the poll. It is very different from the Dr Yellow units.

So many shinkansens to choose from ???

Wouldn't you also have to add the different versions of the E2 and E3's lol

I finally voted for the 500 (I have two model sets at home) but also do like the E5.

Guest JRF-1935

I voted for the 500 - would love to have one - If I ever do buy another passenger train, this is the one! A "Most Beautiful" train.

Rich C