• 7100 steam locomotive
    • 7170 steam locomotive
    • C60 steam locomotive
    • C62 steam locomotive
    • D51 steam locomotive
    • D60 steam locomotive
    • D62 steam locomotive

Fenway Park

E10s were introduced after WW2 as banking engines for certain steep inclines. Sadly a combination of poor post war materials, the spread of electrification and an ability to spread the tracks they had short working lives in Honshu then to Kyushu and finally to Maibara  where they pulled trains between the DC powered tracks and the AC powered tracks.

Sadly too heavy and too late.

sorry to dig this one up but i am interested in the E10 i don't think anyone has modelled it, but anyone know a site with good info on this? i tried googling but can only find basic sites.

Thanks fenway. while it does look good i think i will wait see if they do a revised model. 238 us from new hall is crazy.

anyone know a page about the real loco though?

Fenway Park

Hi,

The E10 was the last new steam locomotive built for JNR. It was designed as a banking/assist loco to replace the 4100 class 0-10-0 tanks.

However, by the time it came into service, events had overtaken the class. The lines on which it was intended to be used as a banking loco either were replaced with new electrified lines such as the Ou line in Honshu or surplus D51s were just as capable and cheaper to operate such as the Hisastu line in Kyushu.

Their final operating base was Maibara on the Hokuriku Line where they were used to pull trains between the 1500v D.C. lines and the 25v A.C. lines all on the level.

In addition, the quality of the materials used in this post WW2 loco were poor and there were problems in service. Also their high axle loading severely restricted their operational use so that they were withdrawn in the early 1960s.

There was an excellent article in Continental Modeller many years ago.

ahh ok. I find it makes a really interesting model.

I wonder if it likes 280 curve those wheels look very unfriendly on curves

Linkey do you have the Tomix C57-1 ? mighty fine model. Almost as detailed as a realline but runs perfect.

Currently deciding on wether i should get another c57-1 or get 2 realline d611 Fukagawa or 612 x 2 not that hs are allowing for 2 of this model.