Permil train depots

I am not clear what is "chipboard".

レーザー加工機にて彫刻、カットを施したペーパー製キットです

The product descriptions is made of paper.  Did you purchase?

Chipboard is a thicker, denser, paper. Its also called cardboard, but chipboard is usually stiffer, stronger stuff. Mat and photo boards are chipboards. Dont ask me why the general term chipboard is used or what it means, I just know the quality model making boards were always called this by the art supply places when I use to build architectural and exhibit models.

The stuff that is used in laser cut models like these is even stiffer and has a binder in it that resists burning at the cut points. Some even have a binder that will change color with lower power cuts that don't go all the way thru. This lets you make etched patterns in it with the etched lines a different color.

The Japanese laser cut kits like sankei use clipboards, but are always called paper kits, so I'm assuming the permil kit is like these from the looks of it.

There are paper kits you can print on paper or card stock then cut out with a knife.

Jeff

There are two different meanings to "chipboard".

On the large scale, "chipboard" is a construction material (a type of particle board) made from wood chips (as opposed to wood fibers found in normal cardboard) and a resin binder, which lacks the structural strength of plywood, but is useful in non-structural applications.  On the small scale, similar material is used as the facing material for the type of foam-core sold as "Gatorboard" in the U.S. (which is very handy stuff since you can glue to it with wood glue and water won't distort it the way it will paper-faced foam-core).

But the term is also applied as Jeff does, to heavy-grade cardboard (used in arts & crafts, for example) also.  I thought that usage originated in a confusion between heavy, dense cardboard and true chipboard. But it's a common and longstanding usage, and it doesn't result from confusion (at least not apparently).  I found this definition online:

"Chipboard is made from recycled paper that is pressed together. ... A chipboard sheet has a recycled look to it since the bits of different papers are noticeable. In white-coated chipboard sheets, the look is smoother and the color is consistent. Both types of chipboard pieces can be painted to create beautiful and sturdy designs. A fairly thick, yet flexible chipboard sheet can be used to make a greeting card by folding it vertically or horizontally in the center."

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-chipboard-sheets.htm

So in this case, the "chip" is referring to bits of paper recycled into new paper creating a coarser material than originally-processed wood-fiber paper.

Interestingly, the website for this definition has a photo of someone pounding a nail into the other kind of chipboard.

The funny thing is that the chipboard usually in the arts and craft world is very uniform stuff. The lowest quality ones are usually gray. The are tiny bits of all sorts and high rag content, but pretty dense. Then ther is the brown stuff which was usually cleaner Ann's stiffer. Then it went into the Matte boards, being denser and bleached, then finally the photo boards which usually were the densest and stiffest stuff, usually only black or white. I use to buy the stuff by the bundles and kept a large range on hand so we could choose the right thing for each use.

In the wood world chipboard also is confusion as some use it for mdf, particle board and odx. Others only for odx.

Jeff

Edited by cteno4

Interesting. like the clear tops, guess w/o a side cutaway this is the only way to ever see your subway station.

actually pretty simple to scratch build this with a little bit of printing for the wall and platform tile!

jeff