[Switzerland] Frontal collision between two passengers trains, 17 injured

Tecchan

Happened on a local line between two commuter trains transporting 280 passengers in the Schaffhouse canton in Switzerland.

17 injured, nine had to go to the hospital. The two drivers are unharmed (but probably shocked as hell!!)

post-281-0-78145200-1357845688_thumb.jpeg

It happend this morning (January 10th) between a SBB double decker train and a Thurbo EMU just outside the Neuhausen-am-Rheinfall station for a yet unknown reason. (after seing the pictures I suspect a turnout malfunction/mishandle).

The locomotive of the double decker train derailed. The line was closed for the day and all the trains were replaced by busses.

The pictures are really impressive. It probably happened at low speed, that's why there are "so little" dammage.

I also note that the Re 4/4 seems far more tough than the Stadler Flirt. ^^,

More infos (in French): http://www.tdg.ch/suisse/faits-divers/Une-collision-de-trains-fait-17-blesses-le-pire-est-evite/story/31848432

post-281-0-92558700-1357845684_thumb.jpeg

post-281-0-70603000-1357845686_thumb.jpeg

post-281-0-39248300-1357845690_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Tecchan

It resembles a frontal collision last year in Amsterdam with many injured and one death, also commuter trains. This seems less worse, but hopefully the people don't have serious injuries.

OT: I hadn't seen a revised Re 4/4 yet, at least I notice a new livery and LED headlights. I also didn't know they were used with double decker coaches.

Edited by Densha

Hi Tecchan,   They are very good photos!  And seem to tell  story of a "turnout malfunction/mishandle" as you say.

Hi Densha,  I was curious what had happened with the Amsterdam head-on crash last year and have just  looked for an English Language  progress report from the investigation.http://www.nzweek.com/world/dutch-railways-under-stricter-supervision-after-collision-36733/

Apparently the Dutch Safety Board , OVV, issued a report on 11 December 2012 which found a driver ran a red signal (SPAD). The railway company said , amongst other things, they would install additional equipment to alert drivers when approaching a signal at red. 

@Eisenbahn
That article is almost correct but one thing is not mentioned, the train protection system ATB. Most of the main lines in the Netherlands are still equipped with the older version of the system which main weakness is that trains travelling at speeds below 40 km/h won't get any warning or stopping signal at all. This has led to many collisions and other accidents but the replacing program of the old system is basically non-existent, and I doubt the ministry has any money left for this, they rather spend it on prestigious station renovating projects than safety it seems.

Many rural lines however are equipped with the modern system. That may seem weird at first, but I know there were fatal accidents with single track lines in Japan because there was no system installed.

More infos on the train collision in Switzerland.

The Flirt driver didn't respect the signals and left the station too early.

Any info on if he was stopped by a automatic train protection system?

No info, I think it was emergency braking.

The (google) translated article will give you more info and the French -> English translation is rather Ok.

http://cl.ly/0l3g0m390R06