Inspirational Scenery & Layouts

yes it was fantastic to have a layout in grand central! we were in the big side halls there. JR East footed the bill for us so nicely to do the event and be next to them! the NYC visitors were the absolute nicest visitors ive ever experienced. folks were so amazingly appreciative of us making the layout for the show and bringing it all the way up from DC, it was very heartwarming. I dont think ive ever been thanked so many times so often! The high powered event organizer started crying the first time she came over when we had just got the layout set up and i though yike what upset her, it was that she had not expected at all what we did and it turned out perfect for the japan week show she had put together! even the sekio watch display next to us which was very high end i thought was going to be mad next to a model train and we were really stealing eyes, but their head of marketing came over the first day and really genuinely thanked us as he saw the light we were attracting and keeping people around their display as well. sharp marketing chap and very nice chap to boot!

Lots of train engineers came up when they heard there was a layout in the station! they were great to talk with as well, a few have ttrak modules they work on when stuck at the station between shifts they work on!

i will keep looking for the photos here. i forgot the other member did put a few phone picts up on his blog. sadly the sodium vapor lights played hell with the white balance! i spent time doing a manual white balance and got pretty good shots, but thats the pile i cant fine, the cd full also has the yellow white balance as well, it can get tweaked back just a pain...

http://roomd.livejournal.com/323016.html

but back to the main point of scenes behind a raised viaduct. if you have the track, mock it up on the table and play with it. I think you will find having some of the scene hidden from every view is nice and gives the minds eye stuff to play with and think about. if you look at pictures of japan you will find that its usually a very complex place visually and you usually dont take in all the detail of a scene from one viewpoint, lots is hidden from view! also stuff is put jammed up next to and under and over all sorts of other things you just typically dont see in buildings and rr in the rest of the world. its very unique and thus jamming stuff all over a complex and tight layout actually works out prototypical in japan!

cheers

jeff

• Like 2
Claude_Dreyfus

That is a Micro Ace class 215 EMU. Not been in production for a while. I am not 100% sure they are still in service, although I did see one operating a peak time train in Tokyo back in 2014.

• Like 1

yes it was fantastic to have a layout in grand central! we were in the big side halls there. JR East footed the bill for us so nicely to do the event and be next to them! the NYC visitors were the absolute nicest visitors ive ever experienced. folks were so amazingly appreciative of us making the layout for the show and bringing it all the way up from DC, it was very heartwarming. I dont think ive ever been thanked so many times so often! The high powered event organizer started crying the first time she came over when we had just got the layout set up and i though yike what upset her, it was that she had not expected at all what we did and it turned out perfect for the japan week show she had put together! even the sekio watch display next to us which was very high end i thought was going to be mad next to a model train and we were really stealing eyes, but their head of marketing came over the first day and really genuinely thanked us as he saw the light we were attracting and keeping people around their display as well. sharp marketing chap and very nice chap to boot!

Lots of train engineers came up when they heard there was a layout in the station! they were great to talk with as well, a few have ttrak modules they work on when stuck at the station between shifts they work on!

i will keep looking for the photos here. i forgot the other member did put a few phone picts up on his blog. sadly the sodium vapor lights played hell with the white balance! i spent time doing a manual white balance and got pretty good shots, but thats the pile i cant fine, the cd full also has the yellow white balance as well, it can get tweaked back just a pain...

http://roomd.livejournal.com/323016.html

but back to the main point of scenes behind a raised viaduct. if you have the track, mock it up on the table and play with it. I think you will find having some of the scene hidden from every view is nice and gives the minds eye stuff to play with and think about. if you look at pictures of japan you will find that its usually a very complex place visually and you usually dont take in all the detail of a scene from one viewpoint, lots is hidden from view! also stuff is put jammed up next to and under and over all sorts of other things you just typically dont see in buildings and rr in the rest of the world. its very unique and thus jamming stuff all over a complex and tight layout actually works out prototypical in japan!

cheers

jeff

Looks like a great day at GC, see what you mean about the white balance!  Interested to see how the layout was pretty much assembled on the spot, I always tend to think of layouts in terms of everything fixed to the baseboard  - thanx for advice

That is a Micro Ace class 215 EMU. Not been in production for a while. I am not 100% sure they are still in service, although I did see one operating a peak time train in Tokyo back in 2014.

Yes, they are still in operation in peak hours as commuter Liners during the week, and in weekends as regularly scheduled Special Rapid services. There are only two in existence and were somehow a kind of prototype for double decker trains. Both have a different livery as well (purple and magenta).

Once you start to look at the pictures, you realize that this is actually 4 layouts side by side, with at least 4 stations or stops (the main one in the link, a mountain bypass station, a rural 2.5 track station a small junction) connected by bridges, mountains with least one helix and lot's of scenery.

Blue frog/green frog on a sizable layout for Japanese modelers.  Perhaps a club layout.

Layout in an Osaka shop called "On the Rail" (オンザレイル), which has apparently since closed.

• Like 1

Nxcale posted this on a different topic, I hope he doesn't mind me reposting it but I thought it was a pretty good looking layout (top left) - anybody know anything about it?

post-3155-0-70858200-1480933965_thumb.jpg

Nxcale posted this on a different topic, I hope he doesn't mind me reposting it but I thought it was a pretty good looking layout (top left) - anybody know anything about it?

Hi Blobby,

Not a problem. That layout appeared in a magazine.

I like be posting some pictures here.

While not exactly a layout, this is truly worthy of the name, train conductor!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMtgyY3UKYk

Yes, it is a great video (and actually a great topic).

From kvp's topic: http://www.jnsforum.com/community/topic/10764-japanese-interlocking-systems/

Cheers,

• Like 1

While not exactly a layout, this is truly worthy of the name, train conductor!

Well - it's a layout in progress, as the tracks continue around the other (attic?) walls.

It's not surprising there's no structures or scenery, as the signals and control panel appear to occupy all of his time and interest.

Hi Blobby,

Here below some extra pictures.

Cheers,

Nxcale

p.s. Someone, who can write Japanese, perhaps could find some videos using this title.

The magazine cover by the way

• Like 3

Maybe an inspirational layout in other aspects... here a layout (modules) of the RFC Train

Cheers,

Edited by cteno4
Fixed YouTube embed

You Tube video by mits tosh. Text translated by Google Translate in Google Chrome.

Published on Dec 14, 2016

For car travel, it has been achieved and the intersection between the automobile, the approach and away from the car with each other on the same road. 
 In the intersection, it has been crossed by distributing a magnet drive string up and down. Between the top and bottom of the string we have established a plastic board of 0.3mm thickness. Space height of the drive string is increased 2mm to 7mm from 5mm at the intersection 
have been. Traffic light system is a commercially available product (MSR Co., Ltd.), but to change the direction and the wiring of the pedestrian signal. 
 Toward and away from the car, it has been realized by the magnet drive cord 2 system installed. As another system magnet does not contact to drive a car. Use parts is 25Φ pulley of pulley L set of things and Tamiya model that was introduced in the "Kamiogino model railway 7". This is used on the outside of the two systems drive. 
 Location is assumed between Ueno-Omiya, 185 system to conventional lines, the Shinkansen Hokuriku of E7 system, we have to run the Hokkaido H5 system. Conventional lines has track gauge conversion to 6.5mm. 
 This small and seven of the controller to the module layout is installed, especially stop and at the signal-crossing for motor vehicles, also not tied attention must be eye to rear-end collision. When shooting is asked the motorists of the one system to the wife, but had repeatedly practice not Stop quite at the stop line. Not all of railway vehicles and cars to unauthorized travel or accident, I had a hard time and to such moves to not stupid. 
 The building is a paper structure used in the model railway 10 Kamiogino. Car is Tomix car collection.

Kamiogino model railway 10 night scene and its mechanism (N gauge, running and the lighting of the car, the night of the city lights in the background, TOMIX automatic level crossing, paper structure, a small shrine, chip LED, module layout, diorama)

Published on Aug 28, 2016

We made the night view in the module layout you are using in the past. 
 The lighting of the car is using the chip LED. Paste the resistor and LED to the light guide plate, and the light emitting unit further by combining the cell holding unit. LED has set the light guide plate so shiny headlight and taillight in one. Electrode is cut out phosphorus bronze plate, and also serves as wiring to the LED. A thin plate so as to be off has to be plugged from under the floor between the battery. Body inside is in the dark painted black. This car, building, background, none of the light-shielding is important. 
 The building is to get the data of "paper structure" on the net, was created. The back side of the building is painted black, to prevent the leakage of light. Window clipping, and print the same data in thin paper, and paste from the inside aligned. Cut out the paper for a clear holder (hard) and stick it on the reinforcement. 
 Background is also is a photograph that was used before, drilled a hole in the window of the building, white (fluorescent lamp assumption), paste the paper of kraft paper (incandescent assumed) from the back, it shines and illuminated by the LED. The photo you are a light-shielding piled up black construction paper. 
 In indoor lighting of the train is self-made, I put the light in the LED from one of acrylic triangular prism. Paste the white paper so that the width as the distance from the LED is widely on the ceiling side, it has to be able to have uniform illumination. Even compared to the light guide plate of the Cato without problem, a plurality of LED is considered unnecessary. 
 The top car one has incorporated the test to the battery. Flickering was to prevent principle because even clean the wheel and the rail there is a case in which the lighting flickers. Battery uses a cylindrical alkaline battery of special 9V, supply voltage and the switch from the line in the diode. 
 Was comfortably undertake to try to make a night view, but also passed about four months while you are working on a problem that occurs every time you make a new twist, it became a carry of finally published today. I think that you Shoran to everyone.

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 12

This is truly awesome! Moving cars on the layout! Would definitely love to see this being made available sometime soon for us! Tomytec please look into this?  :P

What's really realistic about this is how the maker even in-cooperate the crossing music chimes at the traffic signals that are oh so common in Japan!  ;)