Reporting bugs and feature requests

I don’t think we have ever had a mute topic in the old or new forum software. I’m not sure if plug-ins could mess with the unread listing or not, depends on how much reach the forum plug-in system gives to plugins. I don’t ever remember seeing this as an option o turn on in the guts of the forum software, but maybe martijn remembers if there is, he digs around in there a lot more than I do.

@Bob Martin you are welcome to review the plug-in list martijn posted above and see if anything fits the bill of what you want and we can research it out then and the costs.

you can also do the reverse and follow your most interesting topics to you and just filter the unread content by that, but it doesn’t the  show you new topics and they don’t have a filter for just new topics unfortunately. 

jeff

Kingmeow
On 12/25/2021 at 2:56 AM, Madsing said:

419093711_ScreenShot2021-12-25at3_54_36PM.thumb.png.5d536f279786f1a8dd53bb4a2e48bb3c.png

I didn't know about this limit, it's the first time I see this message, strange...

On 12/25/2021 at 3:35 AM, cteno4 said:

Ok found it, there is a daily limit on reactions. I’ve increased it some.

jeff

Any way to increase it again?  😄

Just came back from a 9 day Bahamas cruise and reached this notice mid way in catching up.  I didn't thing 9 days is too long for a cruise.  I wonder what will happen when I go on a 15-day trip this Summer (unfortunately not to Japan)?  🤣

BTW, what's the theory/significance on limiting Likes?  I haven't encounter such on my many other forums.

Edited by Kingmeow

Didn’t know there was a feature request forum.  What I’d desperately like to see is an “ignore/hide thread” feature.  There some threads that just seem to go on and on and on, long after they’ve run their course (specifically personal vacation threads).  “Ignore user” isn’t sufficient.

Edited by Bob Martin

@Kingmeow I’ll dig into the settings tonight and see about bumping the limit up some more. The forum software has a ton of social media stuff built into it and I guess those limits are to help with abuse of those system, like ranking, reputation, scoring, and such we turn off. I think the settings were first at the software default. I think it’s considering a balance between odd situation like yours vs potential for abuse for for social media  crap.

Also at times updated end up messing with the settings to new defaults, I think usually when a feature changes and its default is now different and resets what you had. Not sure it’s been random whe it happens and not very often so never bothered to try to figure it out. We have also been thru I think 3 forum software systems over the last 15 years.

jeff

@Bob Martin it’s not so much adding features as most addons can be a pain in testing and keeping updated so we don’t do addons unless they get us something good for the whole community, some features can be turned on/off.

I’ve never seen any sort settings in the forum software for user ability to ignore a topic. The regular user mode the forum has no feature of selecting a topic in order to apply something like a hide/ignore choice, so I doubt there are any features like that. I’ll see when I dig around when I look at the reactions.

jeff

@Kingmeow so the setting have changed and there seems to be no direct setting for reactions specifically anymore on limits but there was a limit on the “points” that I thing giving reactions played into so I boosted that quite a bit to see if that would let you do more reactions per day when you do a catchup. It was at 50 and I moved it to 200. They have all sorts of social media crap they kind of build around now instead os just mor controls over the basic features.

@Bob Martin looked all thru setting and there is no feature for ignoring/hiding topics. By members. Even as admin you can only hide posts but admin still sees the  just not member visible anymore. So sorry can’t give you that feature.

one way to sort of get around this is to go down the unread content list and just look at the ones you want and then hit the “mark site as read” in top left to get them off of unread content page, at least until they are posted to again.

jeff

@cteno4 That’s too bad, almost every forum I frequent has the ignore thread function.  Example…

IMG_6681.thumb.jpeg.c6c387f71f59971e40747d1891646106.jpeg

Edited by Bob Martin

Yep a feature depending on the forum software and not part of the package we use. Ours seems to be veering toward more social media features lately (which we keep turned off). Once with a package it can be an enormous task to migrate to another platform and can be fraught with potential landmines (we hit a few on the last migration that was forced upon us because of server and update issues). Plus new platforms comes with potential new issues and just creates havoc for folks to get use to a new system. Better the devil we know than trade for a new devil unless we are forced. It’s all volunteer work by Martijn to keep the software and servers going so we try to not overload him! 

jeff

Kingmeow
13 hours ago, cteno4 said:

@Kingmeow so the setting have changed and there seems to be no direct setting for reactions specifically anymore on limits but there was a limit on the “points” that I thing giving reactions played into so I boosted that quite a bit to see if that would let you do more reactions per day when you do a catchup. It was at 50 and I moved it to 200. They have all sorts of social media crap they kind of build around now instead os just mor controls over the basic features.

jeff

Thanks Jeff for the change but I think you might have messed up something else or the change didn't take effect?  I tried Liking your post and got the same error message.  Note: this is the first Like for today so I should not have hit any limits.

Screenshot2024-03-05085342.thumb.jpg.7ce1826ad590c39c36e6eaacd44ae72f.jpg

Ok fixed it! Sorry about that. What I increased was the max social score points that reactions and other interactions feed into. Turns out the reactions setting is in a new tab fir the member groups (ie new member, member, moderators) under social! Should have figured it was some where in group settings. Usually only go into the settings once or twice an update and of course with every update some things get moved around so it’s a matter of searching thru tabs!

jeff

• Like 1