Reporting bugs and feature requests

roadstar_na6

You can change it in your setting what happens when you click on the thread title. I was confused by it as well when the new software was online as it didn't behave like that before. A quick glance through the settings revealed that it can be changed luckily in the "Content View Behaviour" tab 🙂

Edited by roadstar_na6

I hit that limit sometimes too, usually when I haven't visited the forum in several days and then go through all the unread threads that I want to read.

51 minutes ago, Wolf said:

Anyone knows why I cant add a profile picture? I always run into this error ...

(image in question added as well)

problem.png

wolf.jpg

Looking to the screenshot, your file is 102 Ko

640002066_Capturedcran2022-02-08175644.thumb.jpg.763af1e969aebcfe9578fc429625106d.jpg

Try to reduce it

858287636_Capturedcran2022-02-08175604.thumb.jpg.2d0bb03ea3bcbc9d8e57b699e5217bb7.jpg

Yes that’s the issue, the default setting for a thumbnail is 0.1mb (you can see that on the upload screen) buried deep in the forum software somewhere. Largest you ever see it is on the member page so pretty tiny so just needs a little file. It’s always presented cropped to a square image as well so crop it if you don’t want the forum software randomly cropping it (I expect to the center).

Cheers,

jeff

Heya,

thank you all, it works now with 99kb (as you can probably see).

Its odd tho as it seems to need to be below 100kb as the system states that it calculates 0.1 MB as 102.4 kB, wich I was below and turned to my initial "bug" reporting. Just in case someone wants to change that message.

problem2.thumb.png.2d3e124d84f494b1fb72f376e884eba6.png

Martijn Meerts

The file size limit should probably be increased a bit actually. Considering the high resolution screens on phones and some laptops, thumbnails will be getting bigger and bigger.

Pretty sure there's a setting for that somewhere, but never looked for it before 🙂

Martijn Meerts

I just increased both the max file size and max image size for the profile image. Or at least, I think I did, there's a billion settings, and these things are also per user group 🙂

It actually probably set the emoji max file size to 10gb instead! It is a nightmare fiddling with the settings. It’s always a total reeducation swimming around in there each time I do it (usually with long gaps in between) and they change the interface just a bit with each rev!

jeff

18 hours ago, Martijn Meerts said:

I just increased both the max file size and max image size for the profile image. Or at least, I think I did, there's a billion settings, and these things are also per user group 🙂

Just uploaded Profile Picture new in 250x250 with 140kB, so guess it works.

There was some text under the username at the left side of each post.  Under miyakoji it said 駅員 ekiin, station staff, my ultimate aspiration.  Was this removed?

Miyakoji,

You can go into settings on profile and add that to interests that will show up on the left below your avatar image. Go to your profile page and click on “edit profile” in the upper right of the screen.

we didn’t delete anything, but on software revs in the past we have had some small bits of data here and there get corrupted or lost.

jeff

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts

Since there was some talk about being able to bookmark specific posts in an info thread, I figured I'd post this here.

We have the ability to add plugins to the forum software to add certain functionality. A bookmark feature for example is available as a plugin (https://invisioncommunity.com/files/file/8582-bookmarks-black-friday-deal-15/), but there are also various other plugins available (https://invisioncommunity.com/files/category/160-applications-and-plugins/)

If there are any plugins that people find interesting, let us know and we can check it out. Note that most of the interesting plugins aren't free, but considering the amount of donations we've been getting, it's quite possible to pick up a couple of plugins.

Also, more related to the post where the bookmarking feature was mentioned, there was mention of the old wiki feature we had / some new feature to store informational posts as an article that's easy to find. The forum software has what they call 'Pages', which is essentially just a way to create custom pages which can then be linked from the main menu. I have looked into this before but never really set it up. We could have a look at it again, since it would allow us to for example create an 'Articles' main menu option, and then start copying various posts to those articles. 

Interesting martijn. Bookmarks looks like it’s what was asked for. Maybe we should start a poll on new features like this.

Sports betting app could let us bet if trains are late or on time!

pages does sound pretty much like the wiki part of the old software. I remember looking at these when we moved software and then promptly forgot about it. It would require some folks to take charge of page(s) to maintain and add to. Maybe each could be cross linked to a discussion page so folks could comment and add ideas for edits/additions later. This would sort of be like our current first post article topics.

big thing though is getting some volunteers to help author and also play managing editor on articles over time potentially (list oriented articles need editing).

jeff

Martijn Meerts

Yeah, there's actually quite a few interesting plugins, but we've never really looked into them, because we've really only ever used the core functionality. The only issue I have with the plugins, is that you can't really test them before buying.

Pages initially was pretty limited, but it looks like over the past few releases they added quite a bit. I'll enable them again at some point, and play around a bit. We could just set up a couple of pages / articles for testing, and then see if some people would be interested in maintaining them.

Functionality to mute specific threads or people would be useful.  Some threads just get derailed and have no interest in seeing them in my unread list. As well as some users post incessantly and I have no interest in seeing their posts.  These are two features that seem very common on other forums.

Odd, there certainly used to be a feature for muting/blocking users, can't see any option for it now. Maybe it got switched off during an upgrade?

1 hour ago, railsquid said:

Odd, there certainly used to be a feature for muting/blocking users, can't see any option for it now. Maybe it got switched off during an upgrade?

Still there. Called Ignore User

https://jnsforum.com/community/ignore/

Click on your user name in the top right corner of the page. It is the second option from the bottom.  

Under the black strip on the Ignore page is a filtered by dropdown.

Edited by bill937ca
  • Like 1