Reporting bugs and feature requests

Martijn Meerts

You can also click the little icon to the left of the thread title (either a dot or star) to go to the first unread post.

Users need control over the content they wish to display. When I go Unread Content I want to see Everything, but I have to click on Read Status every time I visit.  Otherwise a thread I just read disappears, but I may want to go back and look at it again.

I want to have Unread Content--Everything/Condensed. When I create a stream it defaults to Expanded.

Unfortunately the saved stream appears not to contain the expand/condensed feature, just the options in the top box.

i do prefer the old unread content. So far I've not seen any options in the prefs to show all (bot read and unread) for the unread content button. Sorry

jeff

Martijn Meerts

Looks like the condensed/expanded thing doesn't get save when creating a stream, but it's saved in a cookie/session. For me, it also seems to save the state per stream, so I can have an expanded unread stream, and a condensed unread-everything stream. When I switch between them, the condensed/expanded state is correct as well.

There are some things that seem more logical in the old version, but I think we just need to get used to it unfortunately. I don't think we have much control over those things, and unless there's a plugin/add-on to revert to the old style, we might be out of luck :(

I posted a guide on setting up a custom activity stream that should make you able to view new content in a similar way as the old software did. Let me know if you still have any troubles.

• Like 1

I was unable to load the site for about 6 hours, did anyone else have a problem?  I believe I was getting a http 504 timeout error. 

Martijn Meerts

Server was having issues again, but I'm not sure what caused it. CPU load was around 1% and RAM usage wasn't crazy either. I wasn't able to really investigate because I'm at the office right now, but I'll keep monitoring it.

Martijn Meerts

We've also been experiencing some email issues. Some emails to some mail servers don't seem to arrive. This includes account activation mails and new PM mail, so it's rather annoying. We've temporarily disabled most notifications and moved to a different mail sending service as a bit of an experiment. We'll keep you posted.

I would like to comment that i have actually received lots of notifications, despite explicitly disabling all outgoing email notifications. I've checked my settings and it is still set to no emails.

They only started arriving after the update. Then i disabled them and since yesterday i still get them, even though (in theory) all notification emails are disabled.

Martijn Meerts

Strange .. I'll keep track of outgoing mails on the new mail service and see if I can see something weird happening there.

58 minutes ago, Densha said:

Are you only getting PM notifications by email or also other notifications since yesterday?

Mostly content update digests of various kinds. I didn't get any pm-s.

I checked your settings and you should only receive email notifications when you receive a PM. Although, we had to reset some email notification settings yesterday and maybe some setting in your account changed along it? There are some content digest email options on this page that might be worth checking out. Alternatively, in case you are following any topics or forums you could try unfollowing these.

I'm still getting digest emails with full embedded image content, which is actually very bad for mobile access. (i also disabled the automatic image download even in messenger) For now, a temporary fix was to mark the site as spam, so the digests don't show up in my inbox.

Edit: It looks like the follow digest preferences are not in the settings menu. I hope i managed to fix my user's settings db entry this time.

Edited by kvp

I just unsubscribed you from everything at http://www.jnsforum.com/community/followed/, as you were apparently subscribed to hundreds of topics. Can you unblock JNS as spam and check whether you will or will not receive these emails any more?

We also rather not have JNS emails marked as spam, especially if you are using a cloud-based email service. These services usually use company-wide spam lists, and could eventually lead to other members not receiving their emails as well. Most email services have a personal blocking option as well, which shouldn't lead to our emails being marked as spam.

• Like 1
On 8/28/2017 at 11:59 AM, Densha said:

I posted a guide on setting up a custom activity stream that should make you able to view new content in a similar way as the old software did. Let me know if you still have any troubles.

This was a great help.  Thanks very much for your efforts Densha.

1 hour ago, Densha said:

I just unsubscribed you from everything at http://www.jnsforum.com/community/followed/, as you were apparently subscribed to hundreds of topics. Can you unblock JNS as spam and check whether you will or will not receive these emails any more?

We also rather not have JNS emails marked as spam, especially if you are using a cloud-based email service. These services usually use company-wide spam lists, and could eventually lead to other members not receiving their emails as well. Most email services have a personal blocking option as well, which shouldn't lead to our emails being marked as spam.

I unspammed the JNS forum. It's not a cloud based company email, just the ancient yahoo.com webmail... Let's see what do i get tomorrow.

We are trying to shut off forum notification emails (i.e. Following treads, pm notifications, etc) as this is causing us to get on spam blacklists from numerous ways (i.e. Filters, folks reporting JNS emails as spam, other isp blacklists, and even just the quantity of very similar emails that look like spam to isps). Right now we are only leaving on send pm to email feature (new in the upgrade that lets you send a pm to a members email address w.o the email address being revealed to the sender).

there are no real ways to avoid this issue and once we get onto blacklists it's hard to get off them and impossible for some as they get copied into private blacklists at times and then you are really sunk. We need to keep our sending ip and domain clear as we have to have clean email delivery for new account validation (cuts way down on spammers) and any system notifications that would be needed.

PLEASE DO NOT MARK JNS EMAILS AS SPAM and if you are still getting notifications turn them off and if you have any problems or questions please pm densha or myself.

sorry for this inconvenience but there is no way out of this problem other than not sending a huge number of notification emails that just gets us blacklisted. This has been a growing problem and not handled well by the industry and thus it's total chaos to deal with. I've had to deal with it a huge amount with numerous clients in the last few years and it's a lot of work to keep your nose clean now days and every isp, hosting service and spam filter does things their own way regardless how much they talk about trying to work together and standards sadly.

after we get things under control and hopefully clean nose on our email sending we will investigate options that might work to do some level of email notifications, but that's a lot of work and probably money as well. We need to first get everything clean and running well before doing more on this.

thanks

jeff

Edited by cteno4
  • Like 1

Also, as a general notice, please tell us if you are still receiving new post notifications or digests by email. As Jeff just explained, these should be turned off now, but the forum software has some quirks and doesn't always seem to work as we want it to. Notifying us is already a good start to the identification of any problems.

> "if you are still getting notifications turn them off and if you have any problems or questions please pm densha or myself."

Jeff - I get Notifications for PM's, but that makes no sense as both are right next to each other on the screen, so it's just wasted duplication.

Is there some way to turn those off?