Reporting bugs and feature requests

During this downtime I came across another website.   Which in some regards we might create a thread there for Japanese locomotives.   Hence, these guys might be a resource for scratch building parts - the one of a kind stuff.

Dieseldetailer.proboards dot com

Edited by Kb4iuj

Kb4iuj,

Not quite sure what you are asking for here? currently we dont have a forum on jns for scratch building engines as its not come up much (except for the garden scale 500 series a chap is building from scratch) and we are trying not to get too many forums going on jns. you might post the link to the other board in maybe the train doktor or tool shed forums. while not perfect fits for scratch building engines its probably the closest for mentioning the resource of knowledge over there (dont think the other board is scale specific). 

jeff

I guess I was like all the other guys & gals wondering where the site went and went looking for another forum. Hence, I was thinking of another place to meet up at as a form of redundancy.

JNS was just down for a couple of hours while the DNS was changed for doing some more server moves later. Issues here usually are short in duration and just come back in a few hours or the next day at worst case and its working. Hopefully when the server move happens it will greatly reduce the issues and this should not be a problem anymore.

We dont have an emergency meetup place really, not sure if that is worth having as most stuff here is not that pressing that waiting a day or two for it to resolve would cause an issue. 

the most parallel place for folks to go if JNS were kaput would be Jtrains yahoo group for prototype stuff and jrforum yahoo groups for modeling. they are not forums, but their content most closely matches up with JNS. most of the other model train forums tend to be more general in nature where japanese trains come up a little now and then or very specific where they would not want japanese stuff so much.

If JNS were to die for some reason I think folks would wander off their own ways probably. does anyone else feel the need for a disaster meetup place? 

jeff

Martijn. I really appreciate all the efforts going on in the background. As you say Jeff, when issues occur, its usually resolved fairly quickly. I have plenty of other options until things are up and running again, such as actual modelling! Sometimes sitting in front of a screen can be very distracting to what I had planned for the evenings. John

If JNS were to die for some reason I think folks would wander off their own ways probably. does anyone else feel the need for a disaster meetup place? 

According to the notices on the fire extinguishers dotted around the nearby streets, that would be my local primary school ;)

Martijn Meerts

I try to give advance notice when the forum is going down for a bit, I just wasn't expecting it to happen in this case really. Just goes to show once again that it's better to pay a few dollars extra and get good service, rather than go for 'just another registrar' who likes to mess with you if you finally decide to move away from them.

As for moving the forum to the new servers, I'm aiming for the upcoming weekend. Amazon just had their Re:Invent where they announced some new things, 1 of them being a faster and more stable database engine. I'm going to try and import the current database into the new engine to see if it works. It should really, since it's compatible with the one we're using now.

(For the tech minded, we're using MySQL now, and Amazon announced support for MariaDB. MariaDB is basically a fork of MySQL by the original developers of MySQL before Oracle took over, and it gets more updates and features added than MySQL. Also, Oracle is very likely to either stop supporting MySQL completely at some point, or start asking money for it.)

P.S: I don't think we have any intention of dying anytime soon ;)

• Like 3
Martijn Meerts

That'd be another option, but I'm not really that familiar with it. Also, MariaDB is pretty much a drop-in replacement for MySQL, so it should just work, whereas PostgreSQL might not.

MySQL is OpenOffice if Oracle had retained the copyright and also had its own well-established but expensive office suite. If you see what I mean. The two are still largely compatible but divergence is possible.

Anyway MariaDB is definitely the preferable version.

Today it's slow. Getting HTTP 500 internal server errors.  Really discouraging...

Edited by bikkuri bahn
Martijn Meerts

Yeah, there's been some issues again the past days. I've been far too busy with work to really do anything with the server, but I've got some time off coming up in about 1.5 week. so I'll do the switch to new servers then.

• Like 2

I tried to Upload photos to my Gallery, and the board, but I could only do this to the board by transferring the Pictures to my phone, and upload them with taptalk.I cant do it with my gallery. It says" The Server returned an error during upload". I also couldn't post links from Flickr. It says that the website isn't supported.

The latter is actually true. The pictures don't display for those who are not registered there, so one has to dig out the urls from the source and see it in another window. The jpg url actually loads a html site, so it can't be displayed as an embedded picture. For registered flickr users it works normally. I think this is a braindead solution. Best to post clickable links only.

Ps: What is the name and version of your desktop browser?

The latter is actually true. The pictures don't display for those who are not registered there, so one has to dig out the urls from the source and see it in another window. The jpg url actually loads a html site, so it can't be displayed as an embedded picture. For registered flickr users it works normally. I think this is a braindead solution. Best to post clickable links only.

Ps: What is the name and version of your desktop browser?

I'm using the Maxthon browser. I didn't had problems with uploading pics before the cjange. I'll try one of the the other browsers, even though I don't like to use them, since they are usually slower.

I've also been having a problem since the new server arrived.  It looks like the last image I loaded before the transition is somehow stuck in the gallery - upload function, and I can't upload anything else.  However, I was pre-uploading images so I could paste the URL in a Word draft message, as I was having so many problems sending a message on the first try.  Things are reliable enough now that I am willing to simply paste in a small image as I create the message.

Here's the sequence.  It looks to me that the conversion somehow locked the last uploaded image into my profile, and that may be what is blocking further uploads.  However - that may just be a symptom, and not the cause.

post-941-0-65108400-1451492704_thumb.jpg

post-941-0-21137200-1451492742_thumb.jpg

post-941-0-47827100-1451492766_thumb.jpg

One quick thing to try may be to clear your browser cashe completely and restart it. There are some image oddities that showed up right after the server move, but cleared for me with a cashe clear.

jeff

Jeff - I just cleared cache and restarted, but nothing has changed.

Would you be willing to delete the image of that safety yellow mine engine (seen in above post), to see if maybe that will clear things up?

It just seems to me that somehow the system has that image "stuck" - given the way it dominates my gallery.

thanks, Charles

charles,

ok i deleted it, see if you can get it to work now.

i still have gerryo's avatar on the ipad showing up as one of the icon buttons on forums main page! i have to figure out how to totally reload all the forum's interface elements as it seems stuck in the safari's cashe!

lemme know if that worked

jeff