Reporting bugs and feature requests

Something really need to be done about this database issue.  This has been getting progressively worse over that past few weeks.  If you don't get the 500 message.  You just sit there staring at the website attempting to load.  I has taken me just over 6 minutes to attempt to get into this thread and post this single post.  6 minutes = 1 post = frustrated.

I'm at the point where I cannot be bothered attempt to contribute to the community.  I wonder how many new/other contributors we are missing out on due to this same issue.  IF you cannot access the website, then you ain't gonna post.

And yes before anyone asks, it is not the internet connect.  As other pages being used at the same time load up at normal speed.

It's not the database either. Just the hosting hardware is swamped from time to time. The overload is periodic though. Is it possible that just some bot or periodic task is causing it?

Our biggest issue right now is that Martjin is our only server tech right now and he has been swamped lately. Unfortunately this is an all volunteer group here and moving and resetting everything up on a new server is going to be a good chunk of work. Please bear with us, unfortunately it's not something we can just throw money at (unless someone has a lot of money to donate!).

The server issue does go in and out and usually if you wait a bit it gets back to working again.

Please have some patience.

Thanks

Jeff

Martijn Meerts

It's definitely slower than it should be, and I'm not sure what's causing the 500 errors to be honest. It's not because the server is overloaded at least. The hosting company has had some issues the past days as well, which they've been trying to solve.

The thing is, moving to a new server, or upgrading the current one might not fix the 500 error. There might be an issue in the forum software which is causing it, although I haven't heard anything about there being a rather serious issue like this.

I'll try and make some time this weekend to copy the site and database over to a different server to see if that doesn't break anything and if there's improvements. 

The 500 error is usually a fault in the server process. This could be a process timeout or a general protection fault and returned by the webserver when the process running the script/db code dies unexpectedly. The webserver or kernel logs usually indicate the reason or at least if it was a process fault (protection fault), a process timeout (a kill by the webserver) or a general process overload kill by the kernel. The first is a bug in the script/db/interpreter code, the second could be a hanged or slow process/db and the third is straight general server overload or low memory situation. (the latter two resources are shared between all sites on the same server)

Getting and checking the webserver and the kernel logs would probably indicate the exact point of failiure or at least the first visible cause of the error.

Martijn Meerts

It is getting worse yes. I've been working on installing new web and database servers for testing purposes to make sure it's doable to migrate everything fairly easy. Unfortunately I haven't been able to access the forum myself either (including though ssh or ftp), so getting the backups done took a while. I hope to do a test copy of everything in the coming week, and if things go well, I'll make the switch shortly after that.

I'll also be looking at some other options to improve performance, although that depends a bit on what the forum software is capable of as well. Right now moving to new servers is the most important bit.

• Like 3

Yes it has been going up and down more often lately,muse to cycle on a couple week period. Thanks so much for taking the time to see about the server move! Know that's tedious work and testing is not fun but well worth doing! You're the best dude!

Cheers

Jeff

PS funny thing is this evening it's running faster than it has in quite a while! Jr

Edited by cteno4
Martijn Meerts

Hmm.. If people are addicted to the forum, I guess I can start charging large sums of money for access right? :D

• Like 1

Hmm.. If people are addicted to the forum, I guess I can start charging large sums of money for access right? :D

Hhmmm... addictions can be cured when money is in the picture~~  :P

Seriously wouldn't mind a little donation to chip in to help the forum though. Really ~  :)

Martijn Meerts

Little update.. I've managed to move the whole site and database to new servers without much of an issue, everything seems to work like it should. There's a couple of things I need to take care of before doing the final move though, but it shouldn't take all that long.

When I do the final move though, the forum will be down for several hours most likely, possibly longer because there needs to be a DNS server update as well, and those can take some time.

• Like 5
Martijn Meerts

Guys (and the occasional girl ;)), 

As you will likely have noticed, there was a not-so interesting page full of links and ads visible on jnsforum.com rather than the forum itself. What happened is that I requested a domain name transfer to move the domain name to Amazon AWS to make it easier to keep track of costs and to prepare for setting up the new server(s) for the forum. While doing so however, it seems the old registrar immediately removed the DNS entries on their end before the domain had fully completed the transfer, which caused the site to temporarily display the links and ads.

So yeah, sorry for that, but at least we're a step closer again :)

Edit: it's still a bit of a rollercoaster at the moment, will take a little while for all changes to propagate to DNS servers around the world.

Edited by Martijn Meerts
  • Like 6