Revival of1000mm gauge in the Vietnam-Burma-Singapore Triangle

Eisenbahn

Today I posted a few photos from countries in the Vietnam-Burma-Singapore Triangle. It is a region that has seen war, poverty and unsatisfactory regimes but is now experiencing economic growth and population growth and new rail investment decisions are being made.

There seems to be a revival of 1000mm gauge generally  and in Malaysia at least a decision to use 25kvac as the electrification standard on mainline routes.

In both Bangkok and Kuala Lumpur standard gauge has been used for new suburban commuter trains but these lines have been introduced by private investors not the Government Railways. Malaysian Government Rail have built a new 1000mm line in KL and Thai Government Rail have announced a 1000mm project for Suburban Bangkok.

Burma is continuing to invest in 1000mm albeit with Diesel. The Australian Logistics company Toll Holdings has a project in cambodia to revamp and operate a 1000mm freight line there.

Vietnam had made many announcements about going standard gauge between Saigon & Hanoi but nothing has ever happened and their 1000mm is still in place.

I suppose China will want a Standard gauge HST line into that region and India has raised the idea of a freight line across the region to a sea port in Vietnam so India can import/export in the Pacific.

No one rail vendor seems to be dominant in the region. Rail technology seems to come from everywhere.

I suppose there might have been an opportunity to rebuild the region in Standard gauge but it appears now that  this part of the world will be 1000mm.

The plus is that the latest technology is being used. Another 10 years will make a big difference.

• Like 1