Little Japan Models

Kabutoni

Some of you may know Little Japan Models, but I presume most of you don't. Recently, I've been looking around a bit after oddball and small manufacturers in Japan and found this one interesting in particular.

Little Japan Models is mostly known for their early Meitetsu, Keikyu and JNR plastic EMU kits, plus their traditionally horrible website: http://page.freett.com/ljmodels/ Prices are a quite bit over GreenMax' economy kits, but the quality looks pretty solid. They are sold without any additional parts, like bogies, pantographs and motor units. I wouldn't recommend them as beginner kits, albeit the simpleness, but because of the price.

Now, recently Little Japan Models have announced a kit for a DEKI 400 Type Meitetsu boxcab. Unpowered, but I'm sure it can be powered easily with a B-train motor unit (with a little fiddling/rebuilding and adding a bit of weight). I'm not sure if it will be worth the price (¥6,300 for two unpowered kits) though: http://ngi.blog.eonet.jp/n_gauge/2012/12/post-c969.html A powered version is also available (one of two engines) with a World Kougei kit at a staggering ¥13,650! MicroAce's smaller engines now look a lot more attractive... :lipssealed:

Anyway, still a very interesting company to look into further! :)

Toni,

Thanks for the homepage, I've seen their kits on HS. I've been ogling their Keikyu 230 series kits for quite a while...both to make a Kotoden version of the car and for my own private railway... :grin

Since you seem to be able to at least wade across the Japanese language, could you please keep an eye skinned for someone who makes working N scale signals? There surely must be someone out there...

Cheers NB

Thanks for the homepage, I've seen their kits on HS. I've been ogling their Keikyu 230 series kits for quite a while...both to make a Kotoden version of the car and for my own private railway... :grin

Please, do notify us about your thoughts. I'm always interested in fictional model railways, as I'm also planning on starting my own 'company' when I'm settled and ready in Japan. Those Keikyu trains (for me the 700 Type) are eye-balled pretty hard by me.

Since you seem to be able to at least wade across the Japanese language, could you please keep an eye skinned for someone who makes working N scale signals? There surely must be someone out there...

Sure, but you mean someone else than Kato or Tomix, right? ;)

Toni,

Not much to write about it for the time being... My road is called the Tomii Dentetsu (the name was "suggested" by Tomix when they released their free-lance steeplecab + freight car set); so far equipment consist of 5 passenger motor cars (Tomytec "Tetsudo Collection" freelance cars) + "visitors" and "just-purchased-but-haven't-had-time-to-repaint-before-pressing-into-service" equipment (a good excuse for running equipment from other lines... :grin), one coach (ex-JNR OHa30), 3 steeplecabs (1 Kato, 2 Tomytec) and 5 wagons for LCL and MOW service. There is also a centercab diesel (Arumodel) but this might be transferred to the "Hokkaido division"... Up to this moment the railway is a beefed-up version of the Kita Ena Railway, located more or less in the same region (north of Nagoya) and carrying more or less the same kind of traffic (with a few extras), however this might change - it depends mainly on what I would like to see and what I can afford (from the point of view of space) putting on a layout.

Yes, when I meant signals I forgot to say it was signals other that Tomix or Kato. And colour light signals at that. I've found an artisan which makes HO and #16 gauge signalling...some of the most gorgeous stuff I've ever seen, his signals make my eyes water...http://www.lazyjack.co.jp/home/pro.php

Cheers NB

@Nick:

I think the February release of RM Models might interest you a lot: http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10203879 I'm definitely buying this release, since it will concern 架空鉄道, or Fictional Railways in model. I think this is a great idea, which is also a niche in western railway magazines. This is truly the definition of creating your own world in a little world. ;)