Magnets as couplers?

Nick_Burman

Hi all,

Has anyone ever tried using magnets as couplers? I've ordered a Tsugawa 7t diesel loco and it dawned on me that a very small magnet might just do the trick of hauling cars fitted with M-T couplers.

Cheers NB

Oh god, have a bunch of those in some drawers somewhere. :grin

You also get some magnetic couplers with B-Train Shorty's but these are not really usable with normal N gauge I think.

If Microtrains follows the usual kadee pattern the couplers are zinc die castings and nonmanetic.

The couplers are plastic but the coupling pins are metal (this goes for all the knucle couplers out in the market). If I can make the magnet pick up the coupling pin it will be great.

Cheers NB

There are hidden factors that creates problems in its operation and functionality.

The strength of the magnets has to grow as the number of cars are added. Because of this, the strength of the magnet may hinder the movement of the cars itself.

If the connections were ever reverse the like poles will repel each other.

Lot of issues with a magnet configuration.

Inobu 

There are hidden factors that creates problems in its operation and functionality.

The strength of the magnets has to grow as the number of cars are added. Because of this, the strength of the magnet may hinder the movement of the cars itself.

If the connections were ever reverse the like poles will repel each other.

Lot of issues with a magnet configuration.

Inobu 

Sure, however I want the magnet to pick up metal (in this case, the coupling pin of a M-T coupler), so polarity doesn't matter much.

Cheers NB

Sure, however I want the magnet to pick up metal (in this case, the coupling pin of a M-T coupler), so polarity doesn't matter much.

Cheers NB

Oh, I thought you were talking about using magnets to replace the couplers but as I said as lot of variables.

I spent a lot of time researching coupling mechanisms its a challenging task.

Good luck

Inobu 

Has anyone ever tried using magnets as couplers?

Years ago Dapol released its Class 220 Voyager with magnets as couplers. It works well without any problem.

Yep,  I use 6mm OD neodymium ring magnets as couplers for my N scale monorails.  The ring shape makes them work well when going around curves.

boB

I had an idea ages ago with passenger cars. Where i uses the regular tomix or kato coupler.

But make a diaphram with thin magnets on each one.

This way you can have better hold and the magnets might help automatically couple.

Had its issues though

For 1 time and effort.

2 larger radius would be required as sharper ones might end up being too unflexible and derail the train.

Polarity shouldn't be a problem if the carriages are placed in correct order.