thoughts on rolling stock storage?

nik_n_dad

Hello.

Nik and I have 500+ pieces of rolling stock.  Between a couple of auctions, a hobby shop closing and a couple of youth-in-railroading sales the last couple of years, the collection got out of hand.

For the most part, we have been using the axian boxes.  Highly recommend them, especially if you are going to cart trains around.

However, it's not quite working for us.  Right now all of our locos are in nice display cases on the walls (from sfdisplay).  We don't have the wallspace or the $$ to have enough show cases.  What's been nice with the sfdisplay cases, is that Nik and I can enjoy seeing the collection, and it keeps trains from "being forgotten".  What we need is something to better store, organize and enjoy the rolling stock.

I'd like some sort of stacking drawer system (something that may go under the layout).  One thing i've considered are the 5-drawer flat files that people use for plans, blueprints, etc.  Has anyone used or looked at these to store the trains?  I'd line them with some thin foam, as we don't store the trains with the jewel boxes now, and don't want to in the future.

thoughts?  ideas?

While I have never used a flat file case for train storage I think it's a good idea.  For on flat files are fairly easy to get cheap because most engineering shops don't use them for drawings anymore.  Second, the file cabinets will have good quality hardware because they have to be able to store heavy paper drawings.  Three, the are wide and flat so that they fit under wayout spaces.  Mu suggestion is look around used office furniture palces and maybe antique stores and see what you find.

Guest Closed Account 1

Well my friend it's going to be painful no matter how you do this with 500 pieces.

I've seen generic rectangular rifle cases used for HO and N gauge.

My American freight (close to a mile) are in Axian cases http://www.axiantech.com/RR-NBox.html  Bought 5 and a carry bag. The advertised 36 car capacity is ambitious unless you have all 40 footers and shorter. 53 foot cars eat space fast.

Shinkansens, TGV's, Steamers, and diesels locos are still cradled in their original jewel boxes or Kato Book cases. Book cases are standing in a cheap arss bookshelf (on its side) on a shelf. I can pull any one case (without sleeve) without the rest flopping over like dominos.

skipper-

thanks.  yeah, we love the axian cases/boxes. all 19 of them (so far), and the 200+ locos are in display cases, and the shinkansens, euripean sets and amtraks are in their boxes.  yes it's out of hand.

i just noticed when i put the locos on the walls, nik appreciated the collection more, has a ton of pride in our collection, and trains don't get forgotten as when they're in boxes.  I'd have to even go as far as to say that we tend to play with the trains more.  That's why I was thinking about the drawers instead of the axian boxes.  of course, it I pull the trigger and do this, I'll have a bunch of axian boxes for sale...

Hobby Dreamer

These are 2 types that I have...

http://www.organize.com/project-table-chest-6-drawer-lg.html

http://www.irisusainc.com/p-759-kp-xlpho.aspx

They seem perfect for me... I got these for vehicles, trams and to store kitbashing parts and sheets.

These are pricey, but you can find deals.. The links at least help you search! They roll so I plane to fit them under my layout!!

Rick

CaptOblivious

It might be a bit more tedious, and possibly more expensive, but have you considered the Casco cases? They match the Japanese boxes quite nicely (same size as a Kato bookshelf box), and although most are made specifically for particular forms of Japanese rolling stock, many of them are very adaptable. Indeed, you can purchase them without the foam, and cut it yourself…but then you do have 500 pieces you are looking to organize. This might not be the best idea. But it is at least an attractive way to store them, on a bookshelf. They do have an area on the case where you can insert a piece of paper describing the contents, at least.

Can we see your wall of trains?

I'm on the road right now, but Nik or I will take a snap this weekend and post.  Feel free to nudge me if I forget.