100 Volt?

heNk

Just found out, somewhere on the www, Japan uses 100 Volt? We here in Europe, use 220-240 Volt. I have some transformators made by ROCO< MÄRKLIN and Siemens, that use our normal 220 Voltsystem. Do Im need a converter or something?

Greetz Henk

Japan uses 110V if I remember correctly. In the Netherlands we use 240V I think. The plug is also different. I have a Japanese Kato throttle with Japanese adaptor (110V) and used a converter for 240V to 110V, I think it's intended for American devices but it works for me.

What is your question exactly? If you have an adaptor from a different brand but that outputs exactly what the Japanese device needs as input it should be okay, but if you have a whole different brand transformer/throttle that outputs 12V it should be okay too, I think...

Martijn Meerts

If you want to use a Kato/Tomix power pack, you'll need a converter because those power packs run on 110V. Converters meant for US appliances usually work.

If you want to use the Roco/Marklin/Siemens, or any other power pack bought in Europe really, you can use that with Japanese trains without converters, considering the just output 12V, just like the Japanese power packs :)

Japan actually uses 100 Volts AC, and North America these days is nominally 120 volts. There is also a slight Hertz (frequency) difference too, I believe. Kato (Tomix, too, lately) now uses a separate cord-mounted power supply with its power packs, so they can simply include an appropriate one for sales and usage in different parts of the world.

These days, some newer power packs can handle an "overvoltage" input to the point where 120 versus 100 volts doesn't matter, or even 220/240 vs. 120. That's how universal chargers for mobile phones are possible, with just a swap or adapter to handle the plug differences. It pays to check the specifications printed on the devices or their packaging.

If you want to use your European power pack, you will have to modify a power feed cable to do so. But make sure it is not just an AC "transformer" as you call it, since you want 0-12 volts Direct Current at the track.

Rich K.

• Like 1

Henk,

Your controllers will work perfectly so long as they are producing 0-12v DC at the output.

If you buy a Tomix controller it will come with a plug-in transformer rated at 100-220v AC.  It will work fine for you.  All you need to have is the Japanese to European plug adaptor.

Sorry, I use(d) to use a transformer made by ROCO. I have also in stock: two Siemens transformators, a very old TRIX express (for sale?) and one Märklin. I don't know, this last one maybe don't work, while this one has a switch, at the zero point, pull it further backwarts for the other direction.

If the Roco outputs 12V it should be good, if it's those blue Trix ones I won't recommend them and Märklin is for AC 3-rail systems (wisselstroom in Dutch). I have no idea what the siemens one could be. I think a old mehano throttle I have had somewhere also has that switching system you talk about, but I don't think Märklin can be used with N gauge at all.

You can always PM me (or Martijn who maybe knows more about this then I do? ;) ) if you'd rather talk in Dutch.

You want to use it for (Japanese) N scale trains right?

Japan actually uses 100 Volts AC, and North America these days is nominally 120 volts. There is also a slight Hertz (frequency) difference too, I believe. Kato (Tomix, too, lately) now uses a separate cord-mounted power supply with its power packs, so they can simply include an appropriate one for sales and usage in different parts of the world.

These days, some newer power packs can handle an "overvoltage" input to the point where 120 versus 100 volts doesn't matter, or even 220/240 vs. 120. That's how universal chargers for mobile phones are possible, with just a swap or adapter to handle the plug differences. It pays to check the specifications printed on the devices or their packaging.

Even without dual-voltage (120/208) support, U.S. power packs may work okay on Japanese supplies, since a "brown out" voltage level in the U.S.  will be around 100 - 110 and they should be designed to work on that.  Some things don't work below 110V though.  However if voltage in Japan is nominally 100 (and I think that's the right number) rather than 110, U.S gear may not work reliably, and any kind of low-voltage (old building wiring, summer power shortage) would likely take the voltage too low.

The Hz difference between the U.S. and Japan is that the U.S. and Western Japan use 60 Hz, but northern Japan (including Tokyo) use 50 Hz, but for anything other than a really old electric clock, this shouldn't make a difference.

I have a Japanese Tomix power pack that claims to be for 100V, so in the U.S. I use a variable transformer to convert my wall current to 100V.  It might work on my usual 110-130 volt system (I have a meter plugged into a wall outlet, and I've seen it range all over that span).  But I don't want to take any chance, as overdriving it could start a fire.

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts

I've had quite a lot of old transformers, including an old blue one and several siemens ones (I think they came from Lima starter sets that used to be sold at Hema a LONG time ago. They had their own brand transformers initially, but switched to Siemens ones. Mine came in an orange housing)

The Marklin one is likely for AC, however, Marklin Z-scale transformers work fine for N-scale. They only output 9V, but thats plenty for pretty much all trains.