your address of choice in Japan

miyakoji

Ok, to generate some extra discussion, I hope, I'd like to read your first choice of residence in urban, suburban, and/or rural locations, and why.  Feel free to base it on quality/quantity of nearby rails, or perhaps on something more sane, to include second and third choices, whatever :grin.  Doesn't matter if you live in or outside Japan, if you've never been there, etc.

My choices:

Urban: Osaka, lots of lines/companies, close to other large but different cities.

Suburban: probably the endless Tokyo suburbs, particularly west of the 23 wards.  Similar reason to Osaka  :grin.  Second choice would be a medium-sized regional city, Matsuyama comes to mind.

Rural: not sure I could survive without a supermarket nearby :grin

• Like 1
CaptOblivious

Funny you should raise this topic. My wife and I were just discussing tonight that we felt Monzen Nakachou (a Tokyo neighborhood) was a very good balance of urban amenities (close train station, super market, Japanese bath house) without being too crowded.

For me the perfect place to live is anywhere within walking distance of Shinagawa Station.  It is close to Haneda Airport and the NEX to Narita stops at Shinagawa. The tokaido Shinkansen line goes South from there and the Yamanote loop gets you around Tokyo and into the Shinkansen fleet at Tokyo Station from a nearby track. There is access to the Underground network eg Daimon etc.  All your food intake can be sourced at or near the Station. Tokyo BAy is nearby. There is also a Bus hub near the station for those who use such lurching uncomfortable things. Unlike some major stations on the Yamanote loop, Shinagawa station gives good people flows. For those interested in green things such as grass, trees etc there are some nice parks a few stops along the Yamanote loop.

cheers...Eisenbahn

Mudkip Orange

Is this "cost no object" or "reasonably attainable?" If it's "cost no object" then the answers to the first two are (i) Tokyo inside the Yamanote and (ii) Tokyo not too far outside the Yamanote, preferably with access to multiple endpoints (e.g. Shimokitazawa).

As far as rural goes, after Harrisburg I can't ever see myself willfully living anywhere with less than a few million people, but if some shadowy quasi-governmental corporation put a computer chip in my head that enforced a certain number of days outside major metros on penalty of brain explosion, I'd probably pick the temples at Nara. Lots of history, aesthetically pleasing, and when it's time to get out you can change at Yamatoyagi for any number of cities.

On the other hand if cost was a factor I'd probably pick somewhere northeast of Osaka within walking/biking distance to the Keihan main line.

Martijn Meerts

I don't really have much interest in living in the big cities to be honest.. Places like New York and Amsterdam and such are great for a visit, but living there.. No thanks :)

If I had to live in a city in Japan, it'd probably be in/near the Gion district in Kyoto, because of the partially more traditional feel, but I'd much prefer a rural village that's near inaccessible during winter, and where you mostly grow your own food and such. Back to basics ;)

• Like 1

Good question! And yes cost almost comes into mind immediately... Japan is indeed not a cheap place to stay...

But if i had a choice, Osaka seems like a great city to stay in, or what i would really like is also a nice cosy house on Takayama. I've been there and it's so serene combined with modern facilities mixed with traditional activities is just awesome... And the weather there is what i like, COLD!  :cheesy  It also houses one of my favourite Kihas (increasing with each passing moment), the Kiha-85 Wide View Hida ~

• Like 1

Anywhere I feel well I suppose. Not too far away from a train station with good connections, near a bustling city centre and with people around to have a chat with. Something like the neighbourhood I grew up in. I hope the place where I will be staying in Japan (Sagami-Ono) will also be a pleasant place to stay.

In order of preference:

Kanazawa: Hokutetsu - and a lovely city

Toyama: Chitetsu!

Takaoka: Manyosen, and close to Toyama

Kuwana: Kintetsu Hokusei line

Yokkaichi: Kintetsu Utsube & Yunoyama lines

Cheers,

Mark.

Since I've never been to Japan and most likely will never get there - a Dream come True for me would be to live anywhere along the Enoden Line.  Rich in history, lots of local shops, eateries etc., walking distance from beginning to end, Trams snaking through neighborhoods - seems idylic to me - and Then the Ocean!

2nd choice would be like Martijn suggested.  A Nice little place, say in Hokkaido, self sufficent, away from the crowds, inaccesable during winter. 

Since I've never been to Japan and most likely will never get there - a Dream come True for me would be to live anywhere along the Enoden Line.  Rich in history, lots of local shops, eateries etc., walking distance from beginning to end, Trams snaking through neighborhoods - seems idylic to me - and Then the Ocean!

Guess who's going to live one hour away from Enoshima :P

post-224-13569931440246_thumb.png

• Like 3

Capt - the area with the Metro/Toei subway station?  Is it not fairly dense?

Eisenbahn - truly urban choice there

Mudkip - I wasn't thinking that cost would be no object, but it doesn't matter either way.  Interesting choices in Nara and northeast Osaka-fu.  Both sound good to me too.  I am also reminded of your post several months ago reviewing some aspects of your current locale :grin

Martijn - I agree there's something appealing about growing one's own food, but I'll need an internet connection to post on JNS Forum and get railways news/videos!

JR500 - Takayama does sound good and I'll try to post a complete zenmen tenbou video of the Hida in the videos forum, I know it's out there

Toni - you're going to live in Sagamihara?  Sounds good, I think you'll like it.  Not too rural, not too urban, this is very similar to the area that I mentioned in Tokyo-to west of the 23 wards.  Good access to everywhere else in Kanto.

Mark - good choices in Hokuriku

Keitaro - I like that part of the country too, and plenty of KIHAs!

POMU - ways to visit Japan for a extended period or to live there could be a different thread.  There is language teaching, you might also find out if there are companies or organizations based on your home country operating there, and see if they are hiring people from home.  There may not be obvious ways, that's not to say that there are not ways :grin.

Guess who's going to live one hour away from Enoshima :P

Wow Tony - Lucky You ! When you move - send me pictures - Thanks

POMU - ways to visit Japan for a extended period or to live there could be a different thread.  There is language teaching, you might also find out if there are companies or organizations based on your home country operating there, and see if they are hiring people from home.  There may not be obvious ways, that's not to say that there are not ways .

Thanks Miyakoji - I have looked onto the possibilty of jobs in Japan with respect to moving there, and have found none that my home country has to offer with what I have to offer due to my age.  Younger Generation is much in demand.  If I can, will visit after retirery 2014

Thanks

Yes, I'll be near Sagamiono. My future base.

It's official by the way. I bought my tickets... I'll be off the 30th of December. Now I feel pretty pumped. D: Adrenaline is rushing all over the damn place!

I'm pretty happy to be living in Tokyo. The only thing to make things better would be if Omiya Station was much closer to Tokyo. 600 yen one way to get there. I can cycle to Shinjuku in about 35 minutes and know a few places near the station to park where they don't usually take away the bicycles. If I could have a dream house, it would be a two story house at the apex of a curve on a line like the Chuo or Tokaido Line so that I can shoot photos of trains approaching without getting out of my room. Or watch them pass all day long. At Kyoto, I stayed on the fifth floor of the New Miyako Hotel and watched Shinkansens pulling in and out of the station til late at night. Saw an early morning maintenance vehicle come in, too. I lived in Ueda before it was ruined by the new station and that was nice too, but I missed the bookstores in Tokyo. No MacDonalds, then and they rolled up the sidewalks at 7:00. The only nightclub closed at midnight, too.

News item about foreign firms moving out of Tokyo for better lifestyle and lower costs, or is this news item planted hoping to influence foreign firms to relocate to other cities.

http://www.japantoday.com/category/lifestyle/view/for-better-lifestyles-and-lower-costs-firms-locate-outside-tokyo

Best wishes,

Grant

• Like 1

Would have to be a seedy place called Juso. It's on the Yodo river, 2nd station heading North out of Umeda. Hankyu Rail. All trains stop at Juso the station has 6 or 7 platforms. You never wait more than 3 mins for a service. No wonder the platforms have no seating! It's basically a 15 min walk from Umeda if you miss the last train at night.

Juso is nick named Tommy Town. Hard to put into words why?. But I get it. Lots of neon and love hotels. Not many westerners around. Plenty of authentic bars, all full of locals with typical salarymen kitchens.

If you want to take a train north it's a easy trip to Kyoto. Lots of freight lines criss crossing in the area as well.

Ultimately I would choose Kyoto. It's absolutely beautiful.

Mine would have to be Yotsukaido in Chiba, I've semi grown up there on visits to see family over the past 16 years, I was even enrolled in one of the nurseries when I was alot younger there and made a good few friends around the neigbourhood too. A shame the 113 series no longer exist on the Sobu/Narita lines I enjoyed travelling on them alot and took my final ride on one in August 2011 :-(, the newer converted 209 series are not quite the same!

Thanks for the video miyakoji! It's almost like sitting on the front seat of the moving bus system! Really nice of Japanese people to make even bus rides nice and easy with annoucements and all...

Most interesting is the politeness of the camera man, who actually bothered to lower the camera when passengers are boarding the bus to protect their privacy. Really commendable.