Smoothing Products for Roads, Sidewalks etc

Guest Closed Account 1

Guest Closed Account 1

Wood Scenics markets a product in the Americas called Smooth-It. It's for creating near perfect roads, sidewalks, fresh concrete, etc. Comes in quart sized amounts which might be convenient.

Same product name is used in tbe UK for smoothing plaster or textured ceilings.

Has anyone used this and is there a source other than tbe hobby to acquire this product?

Need it to smooth out the table before the Kato high speed tracks are glued down.

One product for smoothing like this is called leveling compound. It's a fine cement with a polymer in it as well. You pour it over an area and gravity levels out the surface very flat. You would need dams all around the edges to contain it. You wind up with a very flat and level surface. You buy it powdered at big box stores, cheap for large areas. Used for leveling out cement floor surfaces.

Jeff

• Like 1

It does need good support or it will crack with flexing. Might experiment with some glues or acrylic paint mixed in to see if you could make it a tad more flexible.

Jeff

Guest Closed Account 1

I'm having a hard time with common drywall mud. Keeps shrinking when dry.

My Zamboni smooth surface got beat up in the past couple of weeks. Need to redo it.

It'll be a relief off the lower back to pour the leveling compound in strategic areas and let it creep out to the table walls.

Mudkip Orange

I'm having a hard time with common drywall mud. Keeps shrinking when dry.

I had the same issue when I was working on a 2x3.5 module a couple years ago. Just ended up making multiple coats.

So, when the table is level then the goo will self-level. Got it.

I' not sure that's true.  I used the WS stuff for a road, but it was 15 - 20 years ago, so memory dims (and the formulation could be different today).  My recollection is that it was a dense paste that didn't have enough liquidity to self-level, but on the plus side that means it can be applied on a grade.

I used their method of putting down temporary 1/8-inch high "tape" edging, and using a scraper (ruler or something) run along the tops of that to make the roadway flat.  The road turned out pretty good, and was still in fine shape more than a decade after being laid down. Actually, it's probably still in good shape; that layout's tables are sitting in a storage locker today just in case I ever get motivated to go back to HO freight.  Which seems less likely every year.

Guest Closed Account 1

Consulted with a pro. Since Drywall mud is down, then I have to continue with drywall friendly products. 

Just from spraying with diluted water based paint to cover the white, the mud deformed.

All I can do is get longer trowels or sanding boards (auto-paint supply) and play Zamboni.

Then prime and paint. Done.  I'll take pics as I go.

Might try a primer coat of cheap lacquer based primer spray paint. That should seal it and not cause deforming due to moisture from the water based paint.

Jeff