The forum in the upcoming weeks

Martijn Meerts

We don't have a time frame for the final conversion yet. I initially was hoping to get it done before christmas, and make it sort of a christmas gift to everyone, but that might be cutting it a bit close. We'll definitely get it done before the year is over though.

Not much of that left at this point. Any status update?

Not that we're all sitting at our keyboards waiting or anything...  :grin

Martijn Meerts

Sorry about the delay, some stuff came up that needed taking care off which left me really busy ..

I'm planning on starting the conversion tomorrow (December 31st) some time before midnight GMT, which means it should be finished sometime on January 1st.. A new year, and a new forum software :)

No problem Martijn, there are much more important things in life than forum software. That you actually found time to prepare for the conversion makes things only better. :laugh:

Martijn,

Thanks so much for all your hard work on this. Very nice new years present for all of us! Best of luck with the changeover.

Cheers,

Jeff

Yes, your efforts to make this a clean transition are certainly appreciated. Migrating something as complex as a forum to new software is not a trivial task, and taking the time to do it right is the only way to approach it.

Martijn Meerts

Well, it's 4:30am by now, the conversion and rebuilding took around 6 to 7 hours, but the initial version should be up and running now :)

I've turned some bits off temporarily (the gallery for example), and some bits haven't gotten their template updated (like the new frontpage), but all of that will be fixed in the coming days.

Please test the new forum, and PM me any issues you come across so I can get them fixed ASAP.

Martijn Meerts

Also, we're aware the 'donor' badges are currently missing, this will be fixed soon ;)

martijn,

hey thanks for all the work here! looks great. only issue im having is how do you resort a thread so that the most recent post is at the top?

in the thread list there are sort options in the dark bar at the top of the list window, but on an individual thread page i cant find anyway to reverse the sort order of the posts. hope this was just something that was turned off.

thanks

jeff

BTW, if anyone can't figure out how to log in, you need to use your member name, not your email.  The old software let you use either.

I also can't seem to attach photos using the "browse" function (it says "you can upload to uploading not allowed" and actually trying fails), but perhaps that's one of the not yet implemented parts.

Thanks all of your effort to give us a well useable forum!

I know that the implementation has not finished yet but I would like to mention that for example in this section of topics it shows me that there are 1 2 3 1 2 3 pages of this topic instead of 1 2 3.

Martijn Meerts
BTW, if anyone can't figure out how to log in, you need to use your member name, not your email.  The old software let you use either.

I've fixed this, you should be able to login using either email or username now.

I'll look at the other reported issues as soon as I can :)

Martijn Meerts
Thanks all of your effort to give us a well useable forum!

I know that the implementation has not finished yet but I would like to mention that for example in this section of topics it shows me that there are 1 2 3 1 2 3 pages of this topic instead of 1 2 3.

This bug should be fixed, it was a little slip up on my part ;)

Overall it looks pretty good, It's very bright on the eye though but I think it will take some time to get used to it all.
There are some features I find a bit weird but I'll post them in the feature requests board.

Martijn, this looks good. I am sure it was not easy and we can't ever know the effort involved. Thank you and happy new year!

martijn,

thanks for go to the last unread post link! that helps get to where you left off on a thread. odd they didnt do the nice sort bar they have in the other pages on the individual thread page.

the interface is nice and clean and the test areas very clear and easy to read. all the other features are nice so far, will just take a little retraining of the brain, but should not be bad. functions well on the ipad as well.

jeff

Martijn Meerts

It's likely going to take everyone a little bit to get used to the new software. Quite a few things are quite similar, but different enough to require getting used to ;)

I've kept the design similar to the old one as well, although obviously a lot has (had to) change. Once the bugs are ironed out and things settle down, we'll likely start on a couple new designs, similar in general to this one, just with different colours.

What's the standard size for user avatars in the new software? The old system supported rectangular ones, but I note that mine (which is based on a 554x401 pixel image I think, although I might have resized it for avatar use) gets crushed into a square form in a number of places.

I rather like the "portrait" format for avatars, but I can make a square version if that's required.

Thanks a lot for this update.

I really enjoy it. And won't hesitate to say what I like, what I don't and what I miss in the next days. ;-)

Thanks for the great work!

Martijn Meerts
What's the standard size for user avatars in the new software? The old system supported rectangular ones, but I note that mine (which is based on a 554x401 pixel image I think, although I might have resized it for avatar use) gets crushed into a square form in a number of places.

I rather like the "portrait" format for avatars, but I can make a square version if that's required.

The template which I based the custom one on is a bit inconsistent with the avatars. Sometimes it specifies a width and height attribute for the avatar image, and sometimes it doesn't. I need to go and check out where the avatars looks squashed and just remove the height and/or width attribute from there. No need to upload a new one, it's just one of those fine-tuning things that will be fixed sooner or later :)

CaptOblivious

Oops. I uploaded a new, square version of my Avatar…no good for your testing purposes anymore ;(