JRM @ Sakura Matsuri

Guest ___

The Japan Rail Modelers of Washington are prod to announce, the club's first official appearance at the National Cherry Blossom Festival's, annual Sakura Matsuri, on Saturday April 4th from 11:00 AM - 6:00 PM along Pennsylvania Ave. between 10th & 14th streets and 12th Street between Pennsylvania & Constitution avenues.

The Japan Rail Modelers of Washington DC are very proud to announce that we have been invited to display our layout at the 49th annual Sakura Matsuri street festival! This is the culminating event of the National Cherry Blossom Festival in Washington DC. This large, outdoor event is sponsored by the Japan-American Society of Washington DC and is the largest Japanese street festival in the US. The street festival is on April 4, 2009, 11AM - 6PM and the JRM tent will be on Pennsylvania Ave. between 12th and 13th Streets. Come and join the fun and see the JRM layout!

More information on the festival can be found at http://www.sakurama tsuri.org/

The Japan Rail Modelers (JRM) of Washington DC are a loose group that focuses on modeling Japanese rail systems. Our goal is to support and encourage modeling of Japanese rail systems and provide public education about the extensive Japanese railroad systems. To further this goal, we have produced a portable 72 square foot, Japanese themed N Scale layout that can be set up at model railroading shows and other events. The layout is set up on the fly from Kato Unitrak featuring dual Shinkansen (bullet train) lines including passenger station and storage yards that can handle prototypical full length 16 car trains, two local train lines for local passenger and freight trains, as well as Japanese buildings, scenery, and details (even goji!)

More Information on JRM can be found at: http://www.japanrai lmodelers. org

Our tent was the best of course :-) But seriously, JR central next to us really sucked. Food lines were horrible. The other "Art and Culture" tents were interesting. I did not get to see the performances on the stages, so I cannot comment on that. All in all, hordes of people had fun, and that's what really counts.

Great photos and thanks for sharing. You really had some turnout! I didn't realize that you would be outside that must have been a challange. To me it's amazing what the club put together in a short time and the minature Cherry Blossoms look fantastic!

I also noticed that your tent was near the Kirwin Beer truck, was that planned? :D

Yes, being outside was quite unusual for us, but it also gave better than ever lighting conditions, many photos came out much, much better than under the artificial light. The worst thing was the gusty wind causing a few spectacular accidents, the best of which was two 16 car Shinkansens colliding at full speed. Spectacular, but cleanup and putting both trains back on track a real pain!

There were a few Kirin trucks, so no wonder one landed not far from us, but this being alcohol-paranoid US, the drinking area was a rather smallish fenced rectangle packed with people, I've had no desire to drink in this corral and no way to get out of there with a glass in hands (I come from a much more relaxed in that respect Europe, so even after 11 years of living in the US the local alcohol policies strike me as something abnormal :-)

CaptOblivious

Yes, being outside was quite unusual for us, but it also gave better than ever lighting conditions, many photos came out much, much better than under the artificial light. The worst thing was the gusty wind causing a few spectacular accidents, the best of which was two 16 car Shinkansens colliding at full speed. Spectacular, but cleanup and putting both trains back on track a real pain!

There were a few Kirin trucks, so no wonder one landed not far from us, but this being alcohol-paranoid US, the drinking area was a rather smallish fenced rectangle packed with people, I've had no desire to drink in this corral and no way to get out of there with a glass in hands (I come from a much more relaxed in that respect Europe, so even after 11 years of living in the US the local alcohol policies strike me as something abnormal :-)

Yum, Kirin. My favorite beer.

You'll be pleased to know that this is a regional predilection. Here in St Louis, home of Anheuser Busch (importers of Kirin!), we are very relaxed about our public drinking. Our street festivals don't have corrals (just no glass, but that's a public safety thing, not a backwards teetotaler thing). New Orleans is even more relaxed—the cops there carry two holsters: One for their gun, and one for NOPD-branded plastic cups in case you're caught in public with a glass bottle. (Public safety again…)

By saying glass, I was meaning that cheapo piece of plastic :-) (Germans, for that matter, manage to make do with real Steins and glasses without endangering the public :-)

I'm glad to hear that some places in the US are better than the prudish Mid-Atlantic :-) But we digress, I would not want to hijack this thread from the awesome achievements of JRM/DC.

Aaron,

you sent along 14 shots, did you mean to send more along?

I have been assembling a nice gallery of shots from the Sakura Matsauri (have shots form 5 members), and an article on the event. Also been finishing up a facelift on the site and trying to clean out the photo galleries there and its taken a fair amount of time with 5 years of accumulated flotsam and jetsam!

Also been recovering from the prep for the show, whew that was a busy couple of weeks and i usually end up exhausted by the end of the show! Well worth it as the event was fantastic, Im not sure we will be able to go back to events that have less than 100,000 people! Felt like being on a stage at a rock concert with the crowd pushing forward many people deep and folks behind them trying to see what all the others were there for!.

Ill post the article later today if i can get the web site polished off and up.

cheers,

jeff

100,000 people!!  :o

And just think, your Club's policy is to send "Thank you notes" to everyone that attended the event.... :D

Aaron,

you sent along 14 shots, did you mean to send more along?

I have been assembling a nice gallery of shots from the Sakura Matsauri (have shots form 5 members), and an article on the event. Also been finishing up a facelift on the site and trying to clean out the photo galleries there and its taken a fair amount of time with 5 years of accumulated flotsam and jetsam!

Also been recovering from the prep for the show, whew that was a busy couple of weeks and i usually end up exhausted by the end of the show! Well worth it as the event was fantastic, Im not sure we will be able to go back to events that have less than 100,000 people! Felt like being on a stage at a rock concert with the crowd pushing forward many people deep and folks behind them trying to see what all the others were there for!.

Ill post the article later today if i can get the web site polished off and up.

IDK, what I had. Since I was working the festival under contract my focus was on keeping those cheap bastards at the Post happy. I'll have to dig back in to archives to see what I shot. Sadly, I was out in PA today shooting historic covered bridges throughout the commonwealth and have a deadline so it may be a while till I get to looking for train stuff.

Aaron,

no worries, i have plenty between you, dmitry, philip, bob and myself, just wanted to make sure did not miss an email from you!

galleries are done, now just need to spit out all the html for them to integrate, hopefully be up later today.

jeff

100,000 people!!  :o

And just think, your Club's policy is to send "Thank you notes" to everyone that attended the event.... :D

You are not kidding. was really a totally different experience than any before showing the layout!

They should send us thank you cards! The club did a lot of work to give them a treat! I think it was a real treat for most folks, something they were not expecting to see at all and very different from the other commercial and cultural displays.

cheers,

jeff

Whats the story with this 0 and where can I get one?!!!

This is a tin type friction toy of a series 0, probably from the early 70s. they come up on ebay now and then. i got this one first for like $20 and it was pretty beat up, i later got one for $10 in much better shape. It takes some lurking they are spotty and sometimes at very high prices.

ill post a pict of the nice one when i get a sec.

When we were trying to figure out what to do for a donations box we were thinking of doing a shinto shrine box, but worried that it might not be taken well. I finally remembered the beat up one i had and donated it for our donation box. I cut a slot in the top and a hole in the bottom (to remove the money) and mounted it on a wooden base. eventually ill make a nice wooden box for the base so when money goes in it makes a nice wooden clunk. sometime may put a little chip-with-lips in it with some station announcement to be triggered when money is put in.

cheers,

jeff

Sushi Train

Whats the story with this 0 and where can I get one?!!!

This is a tin type friction toy of a series 0, probably from the early 70s. they come up on ebay now and then. i got this one first for like $20 and it was pretty beat up, i later got one for $10 in much better shape. It takes some lurking they are spotty and sometimes at very high prices.

ill post a pict of the nice one when i get a sec.

When we were trying to figure out what to do for a donations box we were thinking of doing a shinto shrine box, but worried that it might not be taken well. I finally remembered the beat up one i had and donated it for our donation box. I cut a slot in the top and a hole in the bottom (to remove the money) and mounted it on a wooden base. eventually ill make a nice wooden box for the base so when money goes in it makes a nice wooden clunk. sometime may put a little chip-with-lips in it with some station announcement to be triggered when money is put in.

cheers,

jeff

AWESOME STUFF, VERY CLEVER, also, what a fantastic backdrop you had for Sakura Matsuri!

"Donations to Sushi Trains train collection are gladly accepted."

LOL! Don't give me ideas!! but donations to my paypal account are gladly accepted  ;)

CaptOblivious

OMG, I am turning into a rivet-counter, but the JR logo on the side suggests it couldn't be older than about '88…

Sushi Train

OMG, I am turning into a rivet-counter, but the JR logo on the side suggests it couldn't be older than about '88…

Well spotted, unless its been put on by someone later. Still want one though!!

Well spotted, unless its been put on by someone later. Still want one though!!

Yes very well spotted! and good guess on the addition, it is. the other one does not have it and the JR is on as a sticker, while the rest of the images are printed on the tin directly.

70s was just a guess they could be any time really. perhaps it was a relabeling later with the JR to make an older toy already in production more up to date w/o changing the printing. or someone just wanting to update their own toy!

cheers,

jeff