IDEA! E-guided Loco-Decoupler for Standart Knuckle Couplings(Shunting with CAM)

vadimav

IDEA! E-guided Loco-Decoupler for Standart Knuckle Couplings (Shunting with Video)

Hello.

Now i successfully tested my new idea for automatical shunting work.

My idea is depicted in this small videoclip:

It's work like Krois decouplers, but this variant is compartible with all knuckle couplings, which widely used by USA railroad modellers and me :).

---------

Vadim

• Like 3

Interesting idea.

I remember having lots of fun as a kid switching carriages with my Märklin trains using the decoupling tracks.

Am I the only one here more interested in the in-cab video camera than the remote uncoupling? I'd like to know more about that.

Am I the only one here more interested in the in-cab video camera than the remote uncoupling? I'd like to know more about that.

This cameras - are very cheap(S100) 2.5GGz chinize No-Name baby monitors, which i bought at Moscow suburbs at radioelectronic market.

0_81527_e109c18e_XL

Only 2 of 4 works correct. Chinize quality very low.

I delete envelop, and reconfigure boards in aim to fit into N-Scale loko.

Also, i made logicaly guided  pulse power supplies in aim to supply 3.3V 200Ma power from decoder's 16V.

Loko also has a big powerpack in aim to make uninerrupted run and videos.

Also loco's cabs has very bright LED projectors in aim to shine at tunnels and watched somethat at dark.

0_8151f_f8fc5421_XL

At radioengineering market i also found more smaller cameras! Now it's no problem! But they are too expensive for me! (more than S500)

------

Vadim

CaptOblivious

Vadim, your engineering skills impress the ever-loving-hell out of me. Very nice! Please, start a new thread discussing your experiences with these Chinese cameras?

I am personally more interested in the couplers, and would like to hear more about them!

• Like 1

Nicely done Vadim!

What did you use for the power pack in the loco?

Jeff

Jeff, I use chocolates of  tantalum caps 100MkF x 20V at D-Shape:

0_81522_6815aca2_XL

---------

Vadim

Vadim, your engineering skills impress the ever-loving-hell out of me. Very nice! Please, start a new thread discussing your experiences with these Chinese cameras?

I am personally more interested in the couplers, and would like to hear more about them!

Uncoupler look like electromagnetic vertical lift.

It's too easy and too dependable idea.

Coupling is falling down to rails and You have uncoupled joint!

0_81524_794ac47c_XL

-------

Vadim

What amazing work you did there! You really made an all-purpose all-interest locomotive. I can't begin imagine what you would do to a double engine, given all the space that is provided on the inside.

What amazing work you did there! You really made an all-purpose all-interest locomotive. I can't begin imagine what you would do to a double engine, given all the space that is provided on the inside.

This work took me 1.5 month of time!

I think that not all locos must have VideoCameras. 

It must be 1 or 2 shunting locos only.

Other locos must be as usual.

Some trains for shunting game must have cars with accurate knucle couplers with magnetic hoses  on body(not in trucks) of each car. They can be uncoupled by stationary  elecromagnetic uncouplers at shunting yard.

Some lokos for loco-change game must have Loko Auto Uncouplers. 

For shunting games cargo train must be often decouples between cars too!

There are 2 alternative:

A) Place into each cargo car decoder and decouplers. For long train it's to hard fiddly and not so universal!

B) Use stationary undertable electromagnets for decoupling. But they look not so realistic!

Therefore i suggest to diminish quantity of stationary electromagnet decouplers making decoupling locos at backbone tracks by locodecouplers, and sorting work for cars - by small quantity of electromagnets masked as weight devices at sorting yard ONLY!

1) My suggestion for automated decouplers at Loco very heplful for changement loco at passenger trains. Cars of passenger trains are decoupling between each other much more rarely than cargo cars. Passenger trains are usually servicing without car decoupling.

EXAMPLE:

A) Usually, passenger train change backbone loco at node stations, in aim to service loco which belongs to corresponding railroad and turn it back wich backward train!

B) At the end of journey at dead end track, backbone loco must be decoupled from train and special small shunting loco(like on my photos) pull train to depot for changing linen and other service and then push it back to station.

Because of stationary decouplers can look like nonrealistic, this work can be done by using loco decouplers.

2) For Cargo shunting is usually applicable to use grading belt (gravity yard) with undertable mounted electromagnet, and stationary electromagnets only at the beginning of each track in sorting part of station. so, small quantity of undertable stationary decouplers will not cast into eyes (flaring)

Now, look of these decouplers can be masked as special sorting measuring and weightening device! Now it's correct!

3) Also, each car can be equipped by passive RFID label, and undertable integrated RFID transponding system can help automatical shunting in aim to correct sending cars in correct direction and in aim to control train length.

EXAMPLE(for modelling):

1) Cargo train arrives at receiving-departure yard.

2) BackBone Loco decouples by locodecoupler and move to scheed for servicing. No stacionary decoupler at this track. Loco can decouples at any place!

3) Shunting loco are goes from scheed, couples with them and pull train from receiving-departure yard to elongation track.

4) Then, Shunting loco push train:

a) To Gravity Yard and rebound cars for many direction by gravity and stationary electromagnet decoupler under hill.

b) To all sorting tracks of sorting yard manually, namely: it moves appropriate tail of train and remain part of appropriate cars (by help of stationary undertable decouplers at the beginning of each sorting track) at correct direction, then it moves remaining part to all other direction tracks... e.tc.

5) Then shunting loco pull assembled train into elongation track and push it to receiving-departure yard. Then it decouples by using locodecoupler and goes to scheed.

6) BackBone loco move from sheed and couples with train.

7) New cargo train goes to right direction with appropriate cars.

----------

Now, it's easy to modell it!

-----------

Vadim.

CaptOblivious

Vadim, this is brilliant. Are you familiar with the Tomix automatic couplers? They use a standard Rapido, but it is attached by a hinge. Inside the coupler is a magnet, which can be repelled by an electromagnet in the track. When it is repelled, it swings upwards. So, the design is in some sense similar to yours, but moves the electromagnet out of the locomotive.

Vadim, this is brilliant. Are you familiar with the Tomix automatic couplers? They use a standard Rapido, but it is attached by a hinge. Inside the coupler is a magnet, which can be repelled by an electromagnet in the track. When it is repelled, it swings upwards. So, the design is in some sense similar to yours, but moves the electromagnet out of the locomotive.

Thanks, I knew only pedal rapido stationary uncoupler.

As to Knuckles, there's  2 magnetic hoses, and they must be turned to nearest rail.

I know only this Kadee  device:

KAD-708-2.jpg

May be Kato has something analogous for knuckles?

--------

Vadim

There is my rides at layout using this loco:

1) At upper ways:

2) At tunnels:

3) At tunnel reverse loop:

Conclusion:

2.5GGz cameras has some dead zones.

---------

Vadim

Jeff, I use chocolates of  tantalum caps 100MkF x 20V at D-Shape:

Vadim

Vadim,

thanks, what is MkF, micro or milli ferads? ive wanted to play with tantalum caps to see about light flicker reduction.

thanks

jeff