Your Favourite JR Shinkansen ever!

JR 500系

Vote for your favourite JR Shinkansen ever!   

39 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for your favourite JR Shinkansen ever!

• 0 series
    • 100 series
    • 200 series
    • 300 series
    • 400 series
    • 500 series
    • 700 series
    • N700 series
    • 800 series
    • E1 MAX
    • E2 Hayate/ Asama
    • E3 Komachi/ Tsubasa
    • E4 MAX
    • E5 Hayabusa/ Hayate
    • E6 (not-officially released yet)
    • 923 series Doctor Yellow
    • I'm a heretic and think shinkansen suck! =)

"Your Favourite JR Shinakansen ever!"  don't sound good...

My twisted mind immediately came up with this image of the China-kansen... (中国幹線) D:

640_china_traincrash.jpg

The results are getting interesting! Cant believe the 300 is on par with the 500 series!

I'm with you there, the 300 is at the bottom of my list, it looks like its designer was inspired by an upturned bath tub. ???

I wouldn't cast my vote as an heretic, I don't hate shinkansen (I'll take time out to look at anything on flanged wheels) I just think there are many more interesting railway subjects in Japan than them.

• Like 3

Forum polls suck, but the reasons people give for their votes are worthwhile to read :laugh:

Voted for 0 series- my first ride on a shinkansen way back in the late 70's or thereabouts was on a Hikari service, r/t Tokyo-Nagoya, of course all services were 0 series then.  Second trip on a 0 series was another foray to Nagoya with my cousin, we then transferred to a Kansai Main Line train, which involved a change of trains at Kameyama, it was still JNR then, and the rolling stock on the Kansai Main Line past Kameyama had consists worthy of a main line, rather than the railbuses now. Which brings me to what westfalen said- the non-shinkansen scene is just more interesting to me, and the memories stronger.  However, I am thankful for the shinkansen, as they provide a useful tool for "positioning" when going on long distance railfan jaunts, when time is scarce and the km to be covered numerous.

• Like 2

Well, I'm not quite a heretic since I own a couple of Shinkansen models. But my first love remains the JRE commuter trains (yeah, weird, I know).

That said, to me the 500 Series just epitomizes high speed.  No duck nose. Very streamlined. Looks like an airplane that hasn't yet evolved flight.

I will admit to a fondness for the E5, duck-nose and all, but my favorite Shinkansen remains the 500.  My favorite Japanese train, however, that's a different matter...

I went for the E4. While I love the old standards of the 0, 100, 200, 700, but the E4 just has such grace for such mass. Curves are nicely done after the simulations set the form, very simple and clean. Sorry the 500 just has little elegance to me, it's an arrow and tries too hard to look fast so that it doesn't look that fast to me. I do like it's cross section and the wheel skirts, nice curves there.

Jeff