My Japanese N Scale Diorama - NEW Dinning Table Layout

JR 500系

more work on the layout over the CNY holidays, and we can finally see the shape of the town coming up.... 

i really have WAY too much buildings to go into the layout.... help.... 

the right side with the inclines is where city centre is, along with a small tram loop and loads of arcade shops, a spa, and a fire station.... 

the other side is the residential area, with the apartments, some small houses and a hospital block... 

in the centre we have the flagship bridge spanning over the town and some tall buildings and a hotel to build up the landscape... 

the space behind the station is where i will build the station area, with waiting taxis and buses... great way to park my buses too! 

lastly, the 3 toilet rolls are the planned pillars for an overhead highway spanning across... cant build curve ones (too much difficulty) so i chose to build one at an angle to park a bit more vehicles... 

20180216_145210.jpg

20180216_145156.jpg

20180216_145148.jpg

20180216_145139.jpg

20180216_145132.jpg

20180216_145110.jpg

20180216_145106.jpg

20180216_145053.jpg

• Like 7

Nice work Sammy, just one comment from my side: the helicopter seems to me overscaled on your pictures, or the landing place is too small and too close to the entrance on the top of the building and also maybe too close to the tracks. I do not know what are the Japanese standards for this, maybe it is OK, it just little bit weird for my eyes.

I really need to kick myself hard for not working as hard on my layout as our friend Paul.... 

Anyway, finally got my lazy ass to do something on the layout... Refining that corner where I thought the Tomytec Hospital and the residential blocks look really out of place.... 

Made a little 'Round-about' road piece that will 'channel' the traffic around back to the city core... I like to call this the sub-city corner ~ 

20180514_200452.jpg

20180514_200642.jpg

20180514_210023.jpg

20180514_212100.jpg

20180514_212110.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Placing it back onto the layout where it belongs... Looks pretty interesting! I forgot how fun it was to model and build roads.... 

Now to find a way to connect up and bury those wires for the building lightings.... 

20180514_212519.jpg

20180514_212526.jpg

20180514_212532.jpg

• Like 9
Pauljag900

Glad I could be an inspiration to you Sammy😂😂

looking good t,here buddy,tho the wires can be a bit of a headache when you can t drill through the baseboard mate.

well don mate👍😀

21 minutes ago, Pauljag900 said:

Glad I could be an inspiration to you Sammy😂😂

looking good t,here buddy,tho the wires can be a bit of a headache when you can t drill through the baseboard mate.

well don mate👍😀

Haha you sure are mate! 

Yap I cant drill through the base board... neither could I raise the entire layout by having a foam base underneath due to height clearances... this is a tough nut to crack... I could think of trying someway to tie the wires together and have them group together to run on the layout, and then cover them up using some sort of piping like those above ground pipping we can see... 

Any suggestions would be great! I do have quite a lot of lights to connect up .... 

Pauljag900

The other option,and it’s one I ve used in the past,but does unfortunately mean drilling holes in the back or side of buildings mate I m afraid,is to place the buildings close together and drill a small hole in the back or side and connector t them in rows,that way you would only have one wire to conceal which could easily be hidden by a hedge Or as  yavianice says,a grass mat or foliage.It can be done sammy,but there s always a compromise somewhere mate.

The other thing I would sugest,the layouts are very grey generally,I d use double grey wire when you do it as it wo nt be so obvious,it does nt do any damage if you connect them the wrong way around,they just do nt work,you just make sure you connect it to the power the right way around.

hope this is of some help mate.

Pauljag900

Hey Sammy,

i notice the roundabout you made is on a foamcard base?

you could fill in between the buildings using 3mm foamcard and dig out for the wires and bury them underneath?

211C3C12-3613-4710-AAA4-C56E1ADB4028.thumb.jpeg.11e69aca9976df3285afdf13c0bea82b.jpeg

It ll be a bit fiddly I guess mate but just another option.

👍😀

19 hours ago, Yavianice said:

Grass mats or strategically placed buildings/trees maybe to cover it up?

Great idea! Way too grey for now... need some greens...

18 hours ago, Pauljag900 said:

The other option,and it’s one I ve used in the past,but does unfortunately mean drilling holes in the back or side of buildings mate I m afraid,is to place the buildings close together and drill a small hole in the back or side and connector t them in rows,that way you would only have one wire to conceal which could easily be hidden by a hedge Or as  yavianice says,a grass mat or foliage.It can be done sammy,but there s always a compromise somewhere mate.

The other thing I would sugest,the layouts are very grey generally,I d use double grey wire when you do it as it wo nt be so obvious,it does nt do any damage if you connect them the wrong way around,they just do nt work,you just make sure you connect it to the power the right way around.

hope this is of some help mate.

That's another nice idea... but I really don't wish to start making holes on the buildings as I am afraid I might want to change the layout and there would be ugly bullet (or RPG) holes on the buildings... 

Grey wires is a nice idea... i'll search around for some! I only have loads of the red/ black wires in my inventory now... 

14 hours ago, Pauljag900 said:

Hey Sammy,

i notice the roundabout you made is on a foamcard base?

you could fill in between the buildings using 3mm foamcard and dig out for the wires and bury them underneath?

It ll be a bit fiddly I guess mate but just another option.

👍😀

That's another idea I thought of, but I have buildings that are ALMOST touching the glass above; i.e. at their maximum height limit... those cant do with the foam boards below, so i'll need to run them backwards... Those buildings are also not sitting firmly on the base due to the wires beneath... 

• Like 1

So I was on steroids yesterday and went full scale building up the layout, fiddling with the yard and finally getting every wire in place... 

Also went straight ahead to wire the buildings up around the town square and station area finally, and man it sure looks great at night! Please share your comments below!

oCKE1xL.jpg

This is the Arial View of the entire dinning table layout... Havent taken an Arial view before to show the entire thing... 

Qw34oGB.jpg

Town square area with ample parking for the residents nearby, and for joining the 'park & ride the train' scheme!

u6n5wRH.jpg

The city arcade area (under development), with a tram line, the station, and a yard line into the maintenance yard...

S9Cjwgv.jpg

Let's take the 'Police Tram' !

BZuVbSn.jpg

Behind the town square, there are more buildings, and a 5* hotel 

pIQ6gUg.jpg

The yard area, for trains parking, and maintenance works 

sAUFyvJ.jpg

Town Square area Arial view 

yYp1llZ.jpg

From another angle... 

And now, for the finale and what took up almost an entire day yesterday...

zhhX0rB.jpg

You, light up my life, you gave me hope, to carry on,....  (yes it's a lyrics of a familiar song!) 

pziZ1ND.jpg

Town Square lights up!

rsLdTE1.jpg

Station lights 

PPreRje.jpg

Multi-storey car park 

iEFllVq.jpg

Private housing right next to the carpark (and below the train tracks haha) 

zYyhfXt.jpg

Station building and billboards 

TCV3bNd.jpg

Kinda love this angle shot!

l3kYMGA.jpg

No prizes for guessing where the 'Soapy land' is!  😛

VZdInHn.jpg

Ample parking for every one!

WLHFPfO.jpg

I think I need some street lights... and some neon signboards too...

WhO9xmD.jpg

Is your train here? 

dLi5EAX.jpg

Better close up the table for dinner soon!

1CcN7A7.jpg

Gotta do up that overhead highway quickly...

Edited by JR 500系
  • Like 12
Pauljag900

Good effort sammy😀👍night shots are just the best,any layout takes on a completely diferent look at night with the lights fitted.

Getting more done over the weekend this time... 

I love the Tomix yard set, so it's time to fix that un-workable 4 lines yard into a workable, beautiful 3-line yard!

Love the details of the new yard set! Those small little details like stairs for the inspection platform, all the raised platforms for the drivers, the drivers walking path, the overhead gantry posts with signs, the signals etc... really nice set, and now we have a fully working 3 line yard in our layout!  🙂

(Although the centre line only parks a 4-car set....)

20180602_132641.jpg

20180602_133504.jpg

20180602_133508.jpg

20180602_162909.jpg

20180602_162936.jpg

Edited by JR 500系
  • Like 5
Pauljag900

Really nice Sammy,good effort.

does the yard set come as a kit? What s the number for it buddy?

Edited by Densha
Removed unnecessary quote
39 minutes ago, Pauljag900 said:

Really nice Sammy,good effort.

does the yard set come as a kit? What s the number for it buddy?

Hi mate, it comes as a kit. Tomix 91017 Yard Extension set  

This is the extension set, the 91016 is the basic set that comes with the 'washing machine' and the turnouts... But since I already have the turnouts, I don't need that... 

I did do some minor modifications to become a 3-car line, since the original Tomix suggested a 5-car yard but I didn't have space for that... Turns out the 3-car yard is sweet, and divides very nicely into the Kato maintenance shed! 

Pauljag900
30 minutes ago, JR 500系 said:

Hi mate, it comes as a kit. Tomix 91017 Yard Extension set  

This is the extension set, the 91016 is the basic set that comes with the 'washing machine' and the turnouts... But since I already have the turnouts, I don't need that... 

I did do some minor modifications to become a 3-car line, since the original Tomix suggested a 5-car yard but I didn't have space for that... Turns out the 3-car yard is sweet, and divides very nicely into the Kato maintenance shed! 

Thanks Sammy

Yep,looks spot on buddy👍👍😀

Just now catching up on this thread and wow, is it amazing!! Extremely nice layout, Sammy!

I especially love the Steins;Gate poster on one of your buildings... One of my favorite anime/games 🙂

• Like 1

Didn't do much to my layout due to my laziness, but decided to proceed with something that has been bugging me very long...

PBAJ0x7.jpg

The problem. One of the pillar of the bridge is right smack in the centre of 2 rails... There is enough clearance for the trains to pass each other, but...

cCZDdp6.jpg

It causes the rails to be further apart, hence eating into the clearance space at the end and getting the train SUPER near to that building when it turns... Long nose trains like the Shinano for example gets derailed there often...

Ouugucl.jpg

The solution! A 560mm long bridge needs no centre pillars!

h4BxWru.jpg

Which means we can let the tracks be nearer to each other, making more clearance space at the end for the trains to pass, and viola! The Shinano passes just barely!

thjeX1i.jpg

The huge bridge looks really nice!

BJAH6pc.jpg

Over the city centre

2uW6BSg.jpg

Looking good! Now I wonder how to clean the bridge when it gets dirty...

GZj5RQ6.jpg

Video coming up later, gonna try my hand at some simple video editing! 

• Like 13

And more works on the layout, inspired by our good buddy Paul:

NCsPFzg.jpg

I made a road... too boring. Yes.

x1S1QMl.jpg

Much better! Let's get to the details...

hagqYzW.jpg

A little 'Roasted Sweet Potato' stand near the crossing

9DHR3Cl.jpg

A crossing with traffic lights. We will see where that crossing goes on the layout in a while..

qJBIY5T.jpg

Aahhh… childhood love. 

1ca1rRe.jpg

Let's add some vehicles on the road, shall we? 

N6dXsLK.jpg

Favourite bus ever 

WKrbMQn.jpg

Now the road looks busy

9vfhL9x.jpg

At 2.5cm per road width, the bus passes nicely with minor allowances 

HEYu9Cv.jpg

While a smaller car has much more allowances on the left and right 

weNTCi1.jpg

Placing it on the layout finally

ZYKeNke.jpg

That's where the crossing goes, right after the bridge that goes up/ comes  down from the station

Um9yItn.jpg

Right at the bridge entrance/ exit 

TKHrnLP.jpg

That is where my glue is not behaving 

y5XTojn.jpg

The other entrance goes to the tram stop for the city arcade centre, and a barrier to prevent entry to the tracks behind

WKEQaMJ.jpg

Adding in the cars again for more realistic 

k8dolze.jpg

Need to rework that centre divider line.... 

FEvxtdy.jpg

My favourite view!

Now to create more roads to join up the city altogether!

• Like 8

You took your time Sammy! But it’s always worth waiting for buddy👍😂😂😂

Edited by Pauljag900
  • Thanks 1

Superb as always,you could always make that bump a speed bump!, 

looks really good mate,well done sammy👍😀

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

And more works on the layout, inspired by our good buddy Paul:

I made a road... too boring. Yes.

Much better! Let's get to the details...

Hey, so how did you make all the markings and characters on the road?

It looks really cool!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1