My Japanese N Scale Diorama - NEW Dinning Table Layout

JR 500系

Sammy,

do nt despair buddy,the electrics are a pain in the ass but it ll be something simple,it always is,the problem is trying to find it,and it s always something simple.

2 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

Heh, that's a much clearer drawing, thanks paul.

Ha ha, over here we use a saying “make it idiot proof”which means to make it so everyone finds it easy to understand,not sure if you re familiar with it buddy,and i always believe in trying to make things idiot proof,probably because I am one😂😂😂👍

I would suggest to begin from the start. Make a small temp layout so you understand the power feed and routing through turnouts. You seem to be making rookie errors like soneone with their first box set.

For power routing turnouts, the power is only routed on the selected route. The 3 way turnout is a power routing turnout, so if you want to power all tracks, then power must come from the points end of the turnout (from the mainline). For isolating turnouts, like the double crossover, you have to power all 4 ends. In your case, you must add one power feed to each leg of the double crossover (4 feeders, 2 for each loops) and that would pretty much solve most of your power issues with your current track diagram.

The basic strategy is to print out the actual track diagram, then take a colored pencil and start tracing from the feed point out to check the flow of power. If you meet a power routing turnout, then check each route. You can't pass power from one route to the other, only between the selected route and the points end. If you meet with an isolating turnout, an isolated crossover or a buffer, then it's the end of that direction. If you can't color a whole loop with one color, then add another feeder and use another color to see if you can color the rest. Repeat this until you have a color everwhere and every track you want to park trains on has at least one turnout between it and the feeder. I usually use dark colors for always powered and light colors for conditionally powered sections (like dark red and blue for the two feeders and light red and blue for the turnout controlled sections). You must never allow two colors to mix, if they would do that you either don't need one of the feeders or you need to put isolating joiners between them. (This is a rare case, usually with home built crossovers from more than one turnouts as most off the shelf ones have the isolators built in, like the double crossover.)

ps: In this case, 4 feeders will be required, 2 for each loop. These must be added to the main loops each one at the middle of their sections. For the yard loop, this means between the yard's three way turnout and the double track crossover. For the station island platform loop, halfway between the station turnouts and the double track crossover. Then connect the feeders on each loop with an Y cable. This way you will have two pairs of two feeders, one for each loop. Connect a dedicated controller to each loop and wire the crossover according to the Tomix instructions using the power routing switch mechanically connected with the crossover control . lever. (with one controller cutting out when the crossover is set to cross over and the other powering both loops)

• Like 1

I have been reading this topic and wow it is a nice project.

The table and the case display look top notch. I hope you can sort out the electrics soon. Cheers!

• Like 1

As per suggested by Paul and kiha66, I have pulled out the 3-point turnout and tested it independently.... It works fine... please see the video below:

As such, I would try to test out kvp's method to see where it went wrong... nothing seems to be a problem with the 3-way point...

• Like 1

Further, I sort of forgot how fun it was to run and photograph trains.. something which I haven't done for quite a while...

Results were... should I say, fun?   :) 

Featuring 2 of my favorite models from Ltd. Express JR East... the 485 Irodori and the 189 Fujisan Holiday express!

20171214_164749.jpg

20171214_164816.jpg

20171214_164832.jpg

20171214_164902.jpg

20171214_164934.jpg

20171214_165134.jpg

20171214_164712.jpg

20171214_164704.jpg

20171214_164650.jpg

• Like 6
1 hour ago, JR 500系 said:

How about some night shots?   :)

20171214_212252.jpg

20171214_212049.jpg

20171214_211854.jpg

20171214_211755.jpg

20171214_211739.jpg

20171214_211724.jpg

20171214_211628.jpg

20171214_165156.jpg

Hi Sammy,

Well that’s good,at least now we know it is nt the three way point causing the issue.

what I’d do next is to connect it all back up on the layout as per your plan and put the power feed in where you have it now,just before the three way point,make sure you have no other power feeds connected anywhere on this line,try it all with just the one power feed.Check all the fishplates/track connectors are in place.

let me know how you get on mate,

paul

2 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

I love the lights!  What ight set did you use in the Azusua color?

Thanks! I love the lights too!

I cant really recall, but I am thinking it's either the original Tomix one, or my off-market source one... But I am 100% sure the Irodori is fitted with the off-market one...

1 hour ago, Pauljag900 said:

Hi Sammy,

Well that’s good,at least now we know it is nt the three way point causing the issue.

what I’d do next is to connect it all back up on the layout as per your plan and put the power feed in where you have it now,just before the three way point,make sure you have no other power feeds connected anywhere on this line,try it all with just the one power feed.Check all the fishplates/track connectors are in place.

let me know how you get on mate,

paul

Thanks mate! Always appreciate your feedback! I will try shifting the power feed to see if it works for line 2....

If you can replicate what you have there now,the power feed in front of the point then there s no reason it should nt work on the layout.Just make sure you only have the one power feed connected for the time being mate,

paul

On ‎15‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 5:29 PM, Pauljag900 said:

If you can replicate what you have there now,the power feed in front of the point then there s no reason it should nt work on the layout.Just make sure you only have the one power feed connected for the time being mate,

paul

Thank you mate!

I am proud to announce the power issue has been resolved, and now we have power in the yard! Hurray!  This means we have a serviceable yard now and can park trains in there, without having to remove the heavy glass all the time to change trains...

Haha I know... I've made better videos... must be the festive mood...

Now to figure out the issue with the double cross-over... and we are done with routing and rail works!

And all it took was moving the power feed IN-FRONT of the 3-way point... silly me.

20171225_143841.jpg

Ask 5.jpg

Edited by JR 500系
  • Like 2

And doing something that I haven't done for a long long time...

Took quite a while, but worth it since the devil is in the details they say!

20171224_211138.jpg

20171224_211206.jpg

20171224_211214.jpg

20171224_211229.jpg

• Like 9

Thanks guys for the kind comments!

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 6:22 PM, nxcale said:

excellent work!

So you are bringing back the double crossover?

Yap I am thinking of it... otherwise, there is NO WAY track 2 can enter into the yard... and that is a problem... Will be trying it soon when time permits...

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 12:58 AM, cteno4 said:

Kudos Sammy! You need the tomytec photographers collected at the end of the platform!

jeff

Thanks Jeff, and yes I did! My town is full of rail fans too!

I used some stuff lying around with no other places to go as some platform ornaments, and I kinda liked the effect, especially that 1/80 cat!

20180126_190548.jpg

20180126_190602.jpg

• Like 6
28 minutes ago, serotta1972 said:

Wow, that's really cool Sammy!  Are you in the scene, which one are you? :)

Haha I'm probably the railway employee carrying a bag and looking at the school girl getting her photo taken with the cat statue... Just chilling out and waiting for my next schedule run and all in a day's work ~~   :P

• Like 2

I see a sucker half way up the platform carrying 7 boutique shopping bags full of new set of shoes while chasing a woman down the platform.

I believe said woman is you wife.

You are the sucker. :sad1:

• Haha 2