My Japanese N Scale Diorama - NEW Dinning Table Layout

JR 500系

The problem I have with all my work tables is that usually there are some projects, tools and supplies spread out on the space. But then its inviting to set something down on top of that when you need to set something down, so I like the idea of being able to shove the workspace in after using it. The top layer can be the larger area to set stuff down on, storage or spot for larger ongoing work.

Also its next to the big computer media station so nice to be able to minimize the space the workshop space when not using it and at the computer. Last I can also put a bunch of roll around storage units under the whole thing in what would usually be the knee space as knee space is made by pulling the workbench drawer out. To get at storage unit I just slide the drawer in and then pull out a drawer on the mobile storage units or boxes, etc.

I'm actually hoping this weekend I can get to clearing out the old space and setting this new bench up, I built it over a year ago but got sidetracked getting it setup by other house projects and life...

Ill snap some Picts when its up. I think the total price was under $100.

Jeff

Interesting ideas!

But I guess it's too late for me now. I have a table laid out in the centre of my living room for the layout. It's totally open, and yes it's dusty. I need to clean the tracks with some cotton and isopropyl alcohol often to get smooth running. In fact, the ground level tracks (Kato) are not used often, and being below the viaduct doesn't help in the cleaning at all. Somehow, it reached the stage whereby even new trains find it hard to move on them. Seriously need to do something about the dust on them soon.

I recall seeing a video of a Japanese guy who also had an open layout, but he made a retractable curtain using normal bathroom curtains and rods to cover the layout. Can't seem to find the video now, but wonder if that is effective in controlling the dust.

fold-able layout table? :grin

It was a reply to kvp, so modules is what I'm planning. T-Trak to be precise. But I need a new table anyway, I don't have any good place to work on my models now. Every time I have to clean everything up because it's also my studying desk and for my computer.

I recall seeing a video of a Japanese guy who also had an open layout, but he made a retractable curtain using normal bathroom curtains and rods to cover the layout. Can't seem to find the video now, but wonder if that is effective in controlling the dust.

This?

Edited by Densha
  • Like 2

I've seen Japanese layouts that use thin bamboo poles arced over the layout (ends fit in holes on the edge of the layout) and then tin plastic sheet over that. Pretty simple. Also tomix modules that use the same arced bamboo stick crossed from corner to corner.

Jeff

This?

Yes Densha, you nailed it! That's the one. Good use of pipe as supports eh?

I've seen Japanese layouts that use thin bamboo poles arced over the layout (ends fit in holes on the edge of the layout) and then tin plastic sheet over that. Pretty simple. Also tomix modules that use the same arced bamboo stick crossed from corner to corner.

Jeff

Interesting, but I might have problems getting permits for using pipes across my living room walls. The Mrs. is strongly against the ugliness of the pipes running across it....

Let your wife do the painting. :grin

But when you use the layout you take the pipes off and when it's covered with a curtain you won't see the pipes. I don't really see the problem.

Edited by Densha

Very nice layout and commuter train collection. I'm jealous you have the space and time for it (*´ω`*)

You may need to clean your tracks a bit, judging from your videos.

Edited by Toni Babelony

The thin bamboo sticks looked very nice bent in arcs across the layout (one I think did Them crossed in Xs). When time to un cover just pull off the cover and bend the poles a little to pop them out.

Cover will probably be the problem with the ms. though... Perhaps a very light weight nylon material with an approved color or pattern?

Tomis vacuum car works great to pick up smutz. Push it around so the dust and puzz is sucked up by the vacuum not the engine. you will be amazed what it sucks off the tracks!

The roller cleaner cars like the Aztec and the centerline (my favorite as they are simple and hearty) can also do great track cleaning if used regularly. They won't totally clean up totally mucked track by themselves (but one of our club members with a huge unitrak empire in his dirty basement does pretty well with these and orange oil cleaner alone with horribly dirty track at times) but can really get a lot up for you easily! I have a little cleaner train with the vacuum, an old heki cleaner tanker that spreads cleaning fluid on the track (70% isopropanol works great) a centerline roller and then if I want a second tomix with just the buffing (not abrasive) pad spinning to polish it all up. I also have a small rare earth magnet under the tomix vacuum to grab any small bits of metal that sometimes are not sucked up. You will be amazed at how many small bits of metal end up on the tracks from all the layout stuff.

Wine or beer or other spirits work great to help this kind of track cleaning. Start up your track cleaning train, pour a glass of wine or beer or favorite spirit and relax with it for 20 minutes while you run the cleaning train around!

Cheers

Jeff.

Edited by cteno4
  • Like 1

I think the best would be to have a transparent lid. The sides could be separate, so during an exhibition they could protect the layout and a transparent cover would be acceptable for anyone. It would look like a big glass covered table...

lids are great, but glass to cover that size would be really heavy if out of plate safety glass! plex that size will start to bow with time unless pretty thick or need some cross supports. exhibit cases like this scale are mongo expensive to build for a large horizontal span like that.

one of our club members inherited a 40" x 30" micro layout from one of our other members. I added some corner L brackets that went up about 8" over the layout that could support a glass top and also have notches for plex side panels that could easily slide out if needed. Then put some shorter legs on it and made a pull out drawer below it that ran back to the center of the layout for the power packs and controllers. came out quite a nice little coffee table layout. the top though to be proper for that size glass table top ended up at like 60lbs (it was not easy for one person to lay in place)! Luckily i had made the corner L braces out of metal with wood behind them and it was able support this!

another thing for a room with a train is one of those air filters and just wash out the prefilter every week. those get gobs of dust and puzz out of the room before it can fall on the layout! put it on a timer so it just runs late at night.

jeff

What about transparent plastic instead of the curtain? Or a curtain of transparant plastic.

Edited by Densha

More like dropping something on the cover accidentally. Lexan is good not only against dust, but it could protect against catzillas and other household monsters. :) The nice side effect is that it's available in clear, so you can leave it on while running the trains, unless you want to move something with the 0-5-0 shunter.

• Like 1

Lexan sags with time as well on big horizontal surfaces unless you use heavy stuff (that's the bullet proof stuff) or brace it and then you get up to something pretty heavy and expensive!

Jeff

Interesting discussion!

The idea of pipes running through will be difficult to get permission from. Referring to Jeff's recently posted video: "So you want to model railroad' I doubt I will be able to get that across...

Having said that, the layout was long and rather poorly planned. It is my plan to continue building it for as long as I can, cause there might be some housing issues (government wanting to demolish my flat) and we might get a new place if all chances permitted. When that happens, I can get a whole room for myself just for trains if the kids doesn't come along. That way, perhaps closing the door helps to keep the dust out?

You're right on Toni, my tracks are dirty. I'll probably be taking some of Jeff's ideas to clean the tracks, but I always have problems running my cleaning train. Perhaps I'll try it again soon once I get some time. Once the tracks are cleaned with alcohol, the trains run as though they're new, even at low speeds. But it takes only about 4-5 days again to get the trains doing the jerky dancing again...

For removing most of the dust I use an old sock (you can also use stockings) that I put on a vacuum cleaner hose to prevent any details from being sucked up. For the dust particles that got stuck a bit hassling with a brush to get them loose and then again with the vacuum cleaner. If there's anything left you can try wipe it off but be careful with that. For the rail on the tracks I think indeed alcohol is the right stuff.

but I always have problems running my cleaning train. 

The motive power should be always at the back, propelling the cleaning cars. For proper cleaning, i would add a dust remover (tomix) and wet and dry cleaner cars. (so vacuum car, wet pad car, dry pad car, buffer car, locomotive(s)) For keeping the dust out, it helps to use an overpressure ventillation system, where you have a fan blowing air into the house with several filter pads and a few exit points also with filters. Any air conditioning could be added around the air exchanger fan. This is used in most clean rooms, factories and in european style passive houses, where they also use a heat exchanger to recover waste heat. The nice side effect is that both the heating/cooling bill get lower and there is almost no dust in the house anymore.

I've tried pushing a cleaning train like this and it is problematic. I've found just pushing the vacuum car and the dragging the tank, roller and buffer works well. I think its the resistance of the roller car and its bouncing it can do that when pushed caused conciliation and that mess with couplings and trucks on points and curves.

Simple room air filter fan unit does a great job of cutting down dust. Ive used them a lot as i used to work in a film studio that was in an old cannery warehouse. dust was our constant enemy, but some plastic curtains across some strategic Doorways (replaced them weekly as the plastic painters Tarps were perfect as making a little static when going over clothes and would suck puzz of them well) and then small fan/filter units near the critical areas and i was amazed how much we Were able to clean the place up! Over pressure system is a bit overkill for a home and layout! Not so practical the way most go in and out of their abodes! Perhaps adding double door air locks would work as well (does well for hear). Could have a big blower to blow studd off of you like they do in the plants!

Jeff