383 Shinano

minijapan

Hi,

Ive just bought via an auction agent the Kato JR Central 383 Shinano set, I did contemplate the Micro Ace model but Kato won on the basis I have far more Kato and the Micro Ace I have (283 Ocean Arrow) does run rough time to time.

Anyone else have the same problems with Micro Ace and did I make the right move with my 383 Shinano?

Simon

Haha! That's kind of a strange question. A bit late to wonder about this  :grin

Unlike some other people here, I never encountered any problems with my MA and they make up for the 9/10th of my roster. In any case, you are bound to have some "bad" or more rebellious trains with any manufacturers.

For the Shinano, I mostly found that the MA box looks nicer than the Kato.

Hi,

Ive just bought via an auction agent the Kato JR Central 383 Shinano set, I did contemplate the Micro Ace model but Kato won on the basis I have far more Kato and the Micro Ace I have (283 Ocean Arrow) does run rough time to time.

Anyone else have the same problems with Micro Ace and did I make the right move with my 383 Shinano?

Simon

Yes!

Angus

I guess its like I drive a BMW you drive an Audi syndrome, much the same slightly different, big pity is that one train is made by two makers,the money required could have been used for a totally different model, do you think that manufactures communicate with each other on proposed releases?

Simon

The Kato version tilts and comes with free body mount close couplers.

The Microace version does not tilt. Body mount couplers will cost you a pretty penny (Tomix TN). Both the 4 and 6 car sets are powered (so you can run it in many different configurations like it does prototypically), and the 4 and 2 car sets come with doors that can be attached to the end cars to simulate opened doors when the sets are connected. I also like the fact that the MA model just "looks" more 'delicate'.

The 2 power cars and the "opening" doors on the end cars make the MA set the clear winner for me. The only advantage of the Kato set is tilting, which I think is a pointless feature once you get over the novelty of it.

I posted a picture back in this thread:

http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,6449.0.html

Thanks, Ive got the Kato set on the way now, its interesting ive seen several videos of the sets on you tube as you say in various configurations often without the streamlined cab just the corridor cabs,