Station Platforms with Glass

Guest Closed Account 1

Guest Closed Account 1

I'm on a hunt for 2 sided Station Platforms with Glass to fit within the Unitrack Passings.

The V15 set needs to be relocated off the main Passings (outermost) or I completely refigure the outermost passing to accommodate another brand station platform.

I like the look of glass because it looks modern and looks like something we'd have here in the desert SW. The proposed station plans for the California TGV have glass ceilings over the whole station.

Has anyone used the Faller 222121 (Dimensions: 500 x 53 x H35mm) or Vollmer 7524 (160x45xH45mm) ?

Are these platforms able to be extended to accommodate a 16 car Shinkansen?

Hobby Dreamer

Webskipper...

That's interesting because I was looking at the same kits last night, for the same reasons.

There are a few canopy kits around but I'm thinking about scratch-building one using clear labels and clear plastic where the labels will have the structure printed on. For the rest of the station I was looking at Evergreen girders. It won't be as nice as a bought kit but making your own avoids track spacing concerns if you are using fixed track.

Making your own also means you control the exact size.

Rick

As always, kitbashing or complete homebrew is always best IMO.

Not totally related, but interesting and maybe inspiring: you could also consider simulating solar panels on the roof, like the NS did at Utrecht Centraal with the new glass platform canopies.

32HRPerronkappenCSUtrechtFotoSAPA.jpg

Guest Closed Account 1

Faller English page: http://www.faller.de/App/WebObjects/XSeMIPS.woa/cms/page/pid.14.17.89/agid.1128.1194.1248/atid.1329/ecm.at/2-ICE-platforms.html

If I can obtain 5 or 6 kits then the Faller kit will work just fine. No end pieces available but thats ok. A simulated (imagined) underground walkway will work. Room for lighting in this model.

I do plan to add solar panels on structures. Not sure what they will power but, none the less it's a cool look. Nice tip.

Out in the pasture, wind turbines are a must have.

Hobby Dreamer

Thanks Toni for that photo...  That is a scratch build that is do-able!!

The big bonus for glass structures is that you can light them and that would be a really nice addition to the layout. And you don't need to paint them!!

Rick

Sorry HO

I don't get it? 

You apologize and then call him a HO? .............that's not nice.

Inobu

???

I posted an item, but it was HO.

I'm researching a project with N scale track and HO details and sometimes forget the details aren't N scale.

Sorry HO

I don't get it? 

You apologize and then call him a HO? .............that's not nice.

Inobu

???

I posted an item, but it was HO.

I'm researching a project with N scale track and HO details and sometimes forget the details aren't N scale.

Just teasing you with a play on words.................. Using an urban dictionary

I made some simple glass canopies with clear plastic sheet ribbed with evergreen strips, i made the ribs first then airbrushed them silver, and used photomount spray glue to glue them onto the clear sheet, Im sure these could be adapted for mounting onto a tomix or Kato base.

Hobby Dreamer
I made some simple glass canopies with clear plastic sheet ribbed with evergreen strips,

Thanks for the tip, as I am planning on the same.

What type of clear sheet did you use ? And was the glue good? I think I will use the I-Beans from Evergreen to build part of the structure but they also make these 1/2 cylinders that would look great glued to a sheet of clear plastic. I was thinking of making it look like a column with glass attached but,  in N scale you probably only need one side with the column so the 1/2 cylinder would work!

Thanks

Rick