Kawai Shokei Petition for Bankruptcy

Fenway Park

Hi,

According to ngi.blog.eonet.jp Kawai has filed a petition for bankruptcy.  Does this mean no more production or is it similar to the USA Chapter 11 provisions?

Sorry to see this news as their quality has improved over the recent years but at a price. Perhaps it was inevitable as both Kato and Tomix are producing JNR older type wagons and vans.

Malcolm

Do you mean this post?

http://ngi.blog.eonet.jp/n_gauge/2012/10/post-c0d3.html

If I have to believe the computer translation it's true. :sad:

If I browse through Hobby Search there are a lot of models they haven't even released yet. But indeed, almost all models are available from either Kato, Tomix or MicroAce too. I don't have any model of them, but there quality doesn't seem off from the other manufacturers.

Yes. Sorry I could not post the whole link.  Kawai acquired the old Tomix wagon range some years ago including the B6 0-6-2 Tank.

I have quite a few of their wagons as they produced a variety of open wagons for coal etc.

Malcolm

Posted here too. http://www5a.biglobe.ne.jp/~toyoyasu/

Would be a shame if they went out of business, while the big three (Kato, Tomix and Micro Ace) make freight cars they don't nearly do the variety Kawai do.

The Kawai web page is still up and running. Tried translating it but Google Translator gave me a raspberry in exchange for my efforts. No officious-looking text on the front page. Smacks of Chapter 11... I hope it's true.

Edit: Nothing on the HS Blog either. I'm looking at Kawai's re-release of the TaKi 3000 tank car, it's almost approaching the Kato one in looks and quality.

Cheers NB

nick hs wouldn't blog on them closing down it's not their business thats for hobby blogs and news articles

Translated from the TDB site:

(...) "Business conditions will not stand any chance of recovery then we gave up the business continuity come here." (...)(sic)

Gone for good...blast... :sad: :sad:

Cheers NB

According to the link foxhsu provided, Kawai, though having a decent domestic model RR market base, was exposed heavily to the Asian market, which was hit by the Lehman shock.  Later, the East Japan earthquake dampened sales, and the Asian market was further affected by the strong yen. Apparently a case of overextension and risk exposure.  Hopefully another company will buy the N scale rolling stock production base.

I find it remarkable that suddenly HS has stocked up a lot of Kawai products last week. Kawai also announced new products last week.

I find it remarkable that suddenly HS has stocked up a lot of Kawai products last week. Kawai also announced new products last week.

It's not unusual in Australia for no one to know a company has gone bankrupt until the employees turn up for work and find the gates locked. They may have been carrying on business as usual until the last minute.

I find it interesting that it is said to be the Asian market that sunk them. Were they selling model trains in Asia or did they have other lines of business as well?

I find it interesting that it is said to be the Asian market that sunk them. Were they selling model trains in Asia or did they have other lines of business as well?

I think it was items other than model trains, such as their diorama line.  I know at least in Korea, diorama modeling is big, while model rr'ing is almost non-existent. It says the China market was doing well back in 2003.

Diorama:

http://www.kawaihobby.co.jp/fuubutusi/index.htm

I think it was items other than model trains, such as their diorama line.  I know at least in Korea, diorama modeling is big, while model rr'ing is almost non-existent. It says the China market was doing well back in 2003.

Nope, just one diorama kit and many other freight cars.

I find it remarkable that i just bought a whole lot of freight off them  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

have to get in when you can i guess, theres alot i wanted to acquire but guess i've missed the boat this time no cash atm

Although Kawai might have requested liquidation, they still have previous commitments to fill. Also the wholesalers must have some stock in hand.

I've been talking to a friend of mine who worked for 30-odd years in the banking sector (he belongs to the forum but doesn't post because he knows no English; we are just about 50% of all Japanese model train enthusiasts in the whole of Brazil :grin) and who has experience with bankruptcies in general. He believes that someone will surely pick up Kawai (or at least the model train part of the company) as the company has valuable assets with sale value. The heart-rending question is, who will pick them and how long will it take to happen.

Cheers NB

Take a look at this- much more than freight cars in their lineup, which includes many other product lines (click on the logos at the top):

http://www.kawaihobby.co.jp/

he was refering to what may have really caused the losses, not the recent hs restock. kawai makes a line of detailed diorama models that are popular outside of model train circles. the resort and train station dioramas are the only one done at 1/150. these are part of the miniscape series at 1/60-1/1/250

http://www.1999.co.jp/search_e.asp?Typ1_c=104&scope=0&scope2=0&itkey=Kawai+Company+miniascape

btw the hot spring hotel is an excellent little diorama and a great deal at $14, but already sold out after the restorck...

rest are 1/25 - 1/60 scale dioramas.

http://www.1999.co.jp/search_e.asp?Typ1_c=104&scope=0&scope2=0&itkey=Kawai+Company+kf+

they also make a lot of scenery parts like trees and foliage

http://www.1999.co.jp/search_e.asp?Typ1_c=104&SC=86&Typ=0&sortID=0&scope=0&urikire=&andor=&scope2=0&ItKey=Kawai+Company+diorama+parts&SPage=1

jeff

It would be sad to see a Manufaturer like Kawaii go bankrupt (or applying to go into bankruptcy) as I have brought a few freight wagons already, it will be a very sad loss if these items are not picked up. I have Ku-5000 tri-color Car Transport packs (3 pkts) so I will intend to buy a few more so I can have a ku-5000 rack :) But I quiet enjoy looking and buying the Sangi Railway items they sell cause it is unique.

Do hope they can still produce rr'ing items even if it sold to another company or break away from the other sections of the company.

Unfortunately received this from HS Japan -

The cancellation of the following items has been completed.

[Cancel]

Order No. : 12-0817-2347

Item name : Taki13700 Alcohol Car (2-Car Set) (Model Train)

Quantity : 1

Store code : 10187816

Unfortunately the model company "Kawai" had declared bankruptcy

and has stopped operation as of October 15th 2012.

For such reason, we are unable to provide you with their

products no longer, and are required to cancel

you reservations above.

Martijn Meerts

I have some Kawai stuff, they did do some really nice things no one else did, but I found their quality to be slightly lower than 'the big 3', especially the standard Arnold couplers were terrible. Lots of unwanted uncoupling going on there.

I do wonder if someone's going to take over their tooling, seems a waste to just throw it away..

Variety is the spice of life. ...and Kawai spiced Japanese N gauge in an inexpensive way.

I am always sad to hear a manufactor is closing down. Espacialy if they operate in a small field like freight cars.

Okay, the couplers were terrible, but I changed them to Kato's 702/7 and it worked very well.

Such a lost for the freight car world of N. Kato and Tomix offer a smaller range of freight cars.

I was waiting for the mixed freight car set of eleven cars. To late now.

Thank you very much Kawai company and farewell.

About two or three years ago I ordered a set of three closed black boxcars from Kawai. A very nice addition to my small collection, as they all have different numbers in contrast to my Kato and Tomix wagons. It's really too bad they need to stop, since they had a very interesting range of rolling stock on offer.