New Tokyo station model

Kobayashi Kougei is releasing a 1/350 scale model of the restored tokyo station in november. only $836... LED lighting. its a plastic model. nice pictures but feels a little flat, but thats due to the 1/350 scale, hard to make much detail pop at any distance at that scale and the details are sort of at plastic casting resolution to be clean looking. ill take my $25 printed cardstock model at that scale. man would one in n scale be nice! scaled up to n scale that would only be $4500!

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10175268

this would be a great structure for lasercutting with those windows. seems perfect for layering. if they could get the right textured paper for the roof! also i think there is a chipboard for lasercutting that you can scribe tan lines with the laser with a brick red surface to get brick texture. man could you imagine what that would look like on a layout?!

then you just need one of those little pocket projectors and you could do the lightshow on the front of it on the layout!

cheers

jeff

seems like just model for the bookshelf at 1.350 scale. not T, Z etc...

i think i would be sorely tested if sankei did it in 1/150. looking at the nara station kit it seems like they could easily do tokyo station. but im not sure what i would do with a structure over 2m long! but then again i did get a japanese castle thats almost a half meter square and going to require almost a square meter to do any sort of surrounding moat/grounds on...

would be stunning to do and mount a ton of smd led lights throughout and then set levels on all of them to just make it pop day or night! but then you would want the platforms and tracks as well, pretty soon its its own room!

cheers

jeff

• Like 1
Martijn Meerts

I still want to do a Tokyo Station model at some point (including the tracks), the problem with it is that the track layout is really rather crappy for a model train layout :)

Is this a model after the most recent restoration though? I seem to remember them wanting to put replica's of the original dome roofs on it, and this model certainly doesn't have those.

If Sankei would do a kit, I'd definitely get it, but considering the price of the Spirited Away bath house kit, a Tokyo Station kit is going to be REALLY pricy :)

well the nara station is probably a good 10-15% of tokyo station. so might not be that horrible! detail is a bit more straight forward than the spirited away kits. market is probably slim because of the size though! over 2m long!

jeff

Martijn Meerts

Depends on how far they want to go with the detailing on the station really. There's a fair amount of detail on the station. It's not as complex as the Spirited Away bath house, but on the other hand, it's much bigger.

I think a good part of the cost of the Ghibli kits is also spent on licensing, and considering how accurate the kits seem to be, I have a feeling Ghibli is providing detailed drawings and (approximate) measurements. I do know they're very hands on with official merchandise, just as they are with dubs/international releases of their movies ..

There's a story about the first Disney released Naushika version. Disney had cut out about half an hour worth of scenes they deemed unnecessary. Ghibli (Miyazaki especially) was so angry that they sent Disney a package containing a katana and a note saying 'no more cutting' ;)

The kit in question is not of the current (restored) Tokyo Station, it is of the previous and less attractive post-war rebuild, with only 2 floors and the angled roof structures, rather the domes. Better to wait for an updated kit, which is likely to appear.

Martijn Meerts

The kit in question is not of the current (restored) Tokyo Station, it is of the previous and less attractive post-war rebuild, with only 2 floors and the angled roof structures, rather the domes. Better to wait for an updated kit, which is likely to appear.

Did they add the 3rd floor as well with the latest restoration?

Did they add the 3rd floor as well with the latest restoration?

Yes, it was a full restoration to its original design.