Our basement layout

scott

Yeah, I'm not too impressed with Bachmann. But I needed some Amtrak equipment, and the main E60 is from an "NOS" set that I found for an affordable price. There aren't many choices other than Bachmann for electric Amtrak locomotives.

CaptOblivious

I am soooooooo tempted to buy an ED7x, paint it silver, stick an Amtrak logo on it, and pretend it's an AEM-7.

You know that Kato did that back in the late 80's with some EF65's, I think it was, for Con-Cor. They still show up rather frequently on eBay, keep your eyes open!

There's also this Arnold GG1 in Amtrak colors…

http://cgi.ebay.com/ARNOLD-N-SCALE-AMTRAK-GG-1-902_W0QQitemZ260370009196QQcmdZViewItemQQptZModel_RR_Trains

GG1, I used to see that engine at the Sunnyside Yard going into MYC as a kid, great train. I know Kato recently started producing it.

Don, do you know if they make any other versions of it besides the Penn Line?

CaptOblivious

Nope, Kato is doing only Pennsy for now, although they now have two different color schemes for the GG1 available. Since Kato is fond of producing Amtrak stuff, I wouldn't be surprised to see it re-released in Amtrak colors in the future, but I also wouldn't hold my breath.

Yeah, I'd need them to move the decimal point on that one a bit.  :)

It seems like the AEM-7 (which isn't available in N) is based on the Swedish Rc4. I tried to get a dummy/display model of an Rc4 on eBay to put on top of another chassis, but got outbid. The AEM-7 was always my favorite Amtrak engine, I guess because it looks more like the European electrics that I like. If an affordable European or Japanese Bo-Bo electric shows up, I may do the paint job.

Had a little time for fun after dinner tonight:

3388994454_6d3b1f6e2f.jpg

But there were some odd combinations at the main station:

3388181993_ed25f7a253.jpg

(sorry for the lousy pic -- I didn't take any time with the lighting)

Catenaries and two pieces of viaduct track arrived today, and I'm hoping to get some paint, glue, etc., this weekend to cover that arctic foam.

SubwayHypes

Haha is that an AMtrak along with a Minobu line?

I always thoght it would have been cool if japan shipped all their old trains over here to the states, they would be way better than the rattlebucket disgusting interiored commuters we have here, BART is lame!

There are rumors going around that our station will also be hosting Deutsche Bahn trains soon. We're going to have to build a customs facility if this keeps up.

Are you gining to add more diveristy to your rolling stock and going for Swiss, French, Dutch, Austrian... vehicles too?

Great photo everybody is having fun and thinking about trains. :)

I have the same dilema about trians, even though I'm doing Japanese prototypes, even when I catch sight of an interesting train I usually buy it, case in point I recently bought a Roco Transeuro train from I think the 50s because of the design. Maybe if I have the "nerve" I might post a photo of it in the gallery.

Scott - you're building up quite a roster right now, why don't you post some of you trains in the gallery?

Okay I have posted the Trans Euro Express in the Gallery. ::)

Are you gining to add more diveristy to your rolling stock and going for Swiss, French, Dutch, Austrian... vehicles too?

Sure, if I can find them at affordable prices--some of my favorite trains on our few visits to Europe had coaches from several countries. Plus I really enjoyed the Dutch railways when we were there. It's just that I've found a bunch of DB stuff at good prices lately. (It all started when I found a bunch of Fleischmann coaches, which I never thought we could afford, for $10 - $15 in unused condition; they're all DB.)

even though I'm doing Japanese prototypes, even when I catch sight of an interesting train I usually buy it

We've pretty well given up on accurate prototype modeling in favor of just running what we like. Maybe when the kid is older we'll finally build an accurate JR or SBB layout, but not soon. So my stuff may not be totally on topic here, but I'll try not to wander off to much.

Scott - you're building up quite a roster right now, why don't you post some of you trains in the gallery?

Thanks--once I can improve the lighting over the layout a bit, I'll do that.

A slight setback--last night (and well into this morning.... :P ) when I was dealing with some clogged drains*, I went to check for leaks in the basement, and water was dripping onto the layout! Eventually I figured out that it wasn't the drains leaking onto the table (phew) but just some water that I had kicked up trying to clear the drains--apparently I need to re-caulk the bathtub, too. For a minute there I was sure I had cracked a drainpipe and would soon have drainpipe contents on the layout.

So right now the layout is pulled away from the wall and covered in the dropcloths that were left over from the painting project. Oh, and in moving things, I knocked down an old deer skull we found in the woods once, and one of the antlers speared a piece of Unitrack, causing it to be taken out of service permanently--creased and bent track is bad. Maybe I'll post a pic.

Anyway, I'm hoping that a caulking job will get rid of the drip--I've never seen it before.

* Lesson 1: never try to fix a slow drain on Sunday evening. Doing so will inevitably cause a much larger clog somewhere farther downstream and keep you awake until 2am.  :P

Now that's a funky-looking train. Which is good.  :)

I recently had a t-shirt made with the TEE logo on it--I just liked it for some reason. Now my wife says everyone will take me for a Kraftwerk fan.  ::)

Now that's a funky-looking train. Which is good.  :)

I recently had a t-shirt made with the TEE logo on it--I just liked it for some reason. Now my wife says everyone will take me for a Kraftwerk fan.  ::)

Scott - Yes it does remind me of a Kraftwerk album cover.  ;D and you are not alone with running different trains that you like on your layout, I just never show photos of them. ;)

I almost had the same problem with my basement layout and a leaking pipe. It was in the middle of my layout, I was lucky because all I needed to do was replace a valve in the upstairs tiolet and the problem was solved.

Yeah, I hope this is a simple fix, too. I had already gotten nothing done this whole weekend on the layout, and the last thing I need is a big setback. I guess it was good to find this before we started painting and plastering.

SubwayHypes

hahah ouch a deer head spearing the layout, funny how our N scale worlds have to deal with much different disasters than ours, like renegade giant cat attacks, deerhead spears, earthquakes almost everyday, and non stop construction work. 

Yeah, there's nothing quite a like a 320-foot-wide deer bleached-white deer skull falling from the sky antlers-first to get your attention. Especially when on impact it bends each end of a section of railroad track about 30 feet in the air.

Oh, man--if any of our trains had been crushed and bent the way that track was, *I* would have been crying, never mind the kid.

Well, cross fingers and knock wood, it seems like re-caulking got rid of the drip over the layout. So the tables are back against the wall where they should be, and the track is back in place.

I found out the hard way that the Kato piers don't fit regular track, so now there's a bridge made of two pieces of curving viaduct track, and I cut some notches in the foam for the track base to fit down into. Next I need to get the platforms in place for Centra(a)l Station, drill some holes for wiring, and get some paint and groundcover so we can get started on landscaping.

SubwayHypes

^yea i had the exact same problem, over the past few weeks i have dropped almost a hundred dollars on viaduct track, still not even halfway done. 

Now I have to figure out something to shore up the bottom of the pier, since I cut away too much foam underneath trying to get the viaduct track level with the regular track at either end. Maybe a plaster block or something...

Scott - have you tried Hydrocal cloth? I've use a combination of foam w/Hyrocal cloth to make formations or to level parts off.