Unnamed B-Train Short Layout

CaptOblivious

CaptOblivious

Announcing my latest project: A B-Train Shorty layout for and with my daughter. We've been spending a little time on it here and there over the past couple of months. We're finally at a point where there is some visual appeal to it, so it seemed time perhaps to share it :)

http://akihabara.artificial-science.org/2012/10/06/acadias-b-train-shorty-layout/

• Like 1

I don''t think there's anything better than getting kids interested in model railroading, but building a layout with your daughter certainly tops giving trains for Christmas. Even if she loses interest in the hobby, she'll have memories of buiding her own village with her dad. Very cool.

And I like the duckpond. Lots of towns have duckponds (usually the ducks aren't yellow, but hey, artistic license applies).

CaptOblivious

I don''t think there's anything better than getting kids interested in model railroading, but building a layout with your daughter certainly tops giving trains for Christmas. Even if she loses interest in the hobby, she'll have memories of buiding her own village with her dad. Very cool.

Thanks! I hope she enjoys it as much as I did. Even the simple act of laying out the buildings and station seemed a lot of fun to her. I let her pick out a couple of my Tomytec vehicles for her layout, and she enjoyed figuring out where they needed to go. Since the picture was taken, several Lego Minifigs have moved in, and have brought their vehicles and houses with them!

And I like the duckpond. Lots of towns have duckponds (usually the ducks aren't yellow, but hey, artistic license applies).

Oh, those are the ducklings! ;)

CaptOblivious

Query: Acadia wants a water feature. What technique/product would people recommend that both looks good, and would permit an eager-yet-patient 4-year-old to help out?

What sort of featUre are you thinking of?

Fun way to do water is to paint the bottom an brush white glue ovet for water. Easy way to make some surface features. Maybe a stream running in and or out of the pond? maybe have her experiment some of ways of painting the bottom and doing the water. After a few rounds I bet she becomes a pro and makes dad look bad!

Easy to plant clumps of reeds in the water. Use a cheap tan chip brush to cut out off clumps of reeds from.

Lilly pads can be made with 1/16" punch and green paper.

Don't forget a few tiny bits of orange in the water near the edge and someone bent over there feeding the coi.

Cheers

Jeff