Tomytec tram question

Tyler B

Hi all!

I've recently bought a couple of Tomytec trams and motorised them using the TM-TR01 chassis. My question is, they both seem to run fine when going round sharp curves, but struggle a little bit on the straight track sections, anyone know why this might be? They don't stall or anything, they just seem to stutter a little bit, as f they are not making a good enough electrical contact. I'm using a mixture of Kato Unitram and sections of Kato Unitrack pieces. Any suggestions would be welcomed :)

It could be something inherent in the design of the track.  Tomix uses plastic frogs, Kato uses steel frogs and sometimes effects the running of trams.

Tyler,

im wondering if there is a contact problem in the trucks from wheels to frame. on the turns the wheels and trucks are torqued some and maybe give a good contact either wheel to track or wheel to pickup or pickup to frame, that is not as good on the straight sections. the is it plugged in question, have you tried cleaned the tracks well?

also does the articulation mechanism freely swing? tiny bit of oil on it might not hurt just to make sure it might not be getting completely straight on the straight sections and affecting pickup somewhere along the way.

have you tried this with the shell off the frame? same problem?

same issue with the tram going both directions and also flipped around?

what about speed, does it have much of an effect?

does it always happen at the same spots or random on straight track only.

any real difference unitram straight vs unitrak straight sections?

most of the tomytec mechanism ive gotten have been nicely lubricated, but perhaps yours is just a bit dry on bearings or gears. and that can cause some sputtering. again curve may torque things to make them run better if dry.

those are my first thoughts.

good luck, let us know.

cheers

jeff