Ecosys is coming out of the closet

to2leo

Unfortunately, I am still in the TO suffering a late snowstorm, Bernard.

I will post some more pics after the vacation, I am hoping to get GS4 and TGV Duplex in my next posting.

;)

Leo - If you're back from your vacation I hope you had a good time....and if you are back how about a few more revealing photos of the layout, I'd love to see more. ;)

Hi Bernard and all,

My vacation was a blast, I really enjoyed the time spent in Spain, Greece, Canary Islands and Morocco.

As soon as I settle down, I will add my photos for all to enjoy.

Now I have to get my programs starting so that my community youth can enjoy once summer hits.

Hi Bernard and all,

My vacation was a blast, I really enjoyed the time spent in Spain, Greece, Canary Islands and Morocco.

I'm not jealous. Nope, not at all. That would be petty and immature of me.

:P :P :P :P :P

SubwayHypes

Post some pics!! i would love to see some pics of the Greek coastline, i love that bright blue water!!  Did you eat any crazy things like Anthoney Bourdain, $150 dollar cans of preserved clams????

PICS PICS PICS!!!!   

Leo - That was some vacation you had! I've been to Greece only it was for work and I really didn't get to see much outside of Athens. I was told that I missed a lot by not getting the opportunity to travel around Greece.

But welcome back.

Sorry for the lack of response, I have been so busy with work that I hardly have time to tend to my project.

Thank you for the wonderful wishes for my trip.  I had a wonderful time in Spain and Greece and would highly recommend people to go.

I would post some travel pictures soon.

Today, I received my first order from HWJapan.  It only takes 10 days (not business days) for my item to arrive by SAL, the same time it takes by EMS but cheaper and charge less government processing fee.

This is the new release of Kato Series E3 -1000 Yamagata Shinkansen TSUBASA 7-cars set

I really love the style and colour but there are some misgivings.

PROS

Style and colour are perfect

Smooth running

Bright LED directional lights

CONS

Noisy engine

Bad couplers, hard to couple

I promise I will post as June comes along.  In the mean time please enjoy the train set!

post-60-13569922736807_thumb.jpg

post-60-13569922738843_thumb.jpg

post-60-13569922740855_thumb.jpg

post-60-13569922742599_thumb.jpg

post-60-13569922744361_thumb.jpg

Leo - glad you had a great trip. Thanks for the photos of the E3-1000 just a couple of questions. Is it easy to convert to DCC?

The coupler system is very different from the Kato TGV, how does it couple and what exactly is the problems that you find with it? (I have the French TVG and my fear is the rod that couples the coaches will eventually wear down or snap.)

Hi Bernard,

I will try to answer your questions.

1) Not sure if it is able to convert to DCC easily since I didn't have the time to check but judging from the sound of the engine, it used the same type of engine as the 500 with motor car in the middle.  Aside from the DCC plug in embedded in Kato American models, I have no knowledge into this area.

2) The coupler is not the TGV type but it is the Japanese snap on and lift off type as seen below.  The slots are little bit harder to connect since the hooks are smaller than the knuckle coupler shown below but easy to lift off.  It doesn't have the TGV type which is easy to connect but hard to come off (I have several accidents with my Thalys).

post-60-13569922746321_thumb.jpg

CaptOblivious

In the photo of the underside, the trap door for the decoder nook is clearly visible: This train takes the Kato FL12/EM13 decoders, and so is a snap to convert (presuming you are willing to use these decoders, otherwise it could be a little tricky)

It's interesting that they went with this kind of coupler. My Kato E4 has a very different coupling system that is very reliable, yet very easy to uncouple. To couple, you press two cars together, just as with any other coupler; but to uncouple, you lift one car vertically (not at an angle, but straight up), while holding the other car down: They just slide apart vertically, easy-peasy and very little coupler wear. Strange that they abandoned the system for this release—or does the E4's release post-date the release of the E3?

Martijn Meerts

I believe what they're using is the "Scharfenberg" coupler. The only reason to use it would be that the prototype E3 uses this style of coupler.

Quite a few Kato trains use those couplers actually.

I will try but summer is here and is so nice outside in TO... :blob1:

Pride week is coming too!  :color:

Will try my best  :toothy9:

That's how I felt in the spring here--it was too nice to be inside. Now that summer's here, it's nice to be out early and late, but hide in the basement during the worst of the afternoon. :-)

CaptOblivious

The mank (as I took to calling it when I lived in MS) hit St Louis right about a week ago, and hasn't relented. We've had to move my baby girl's birthday party out of the local park pavilion and into our living room where we pretend to have air conditioning…supposed to hit 100 today, with lots of humidity! If I can't handle a few days of this now, I don't know how I survived for so long in Mississippi, which is worse, without air conditioning for 10 years! I don't know how the participants of the upcoming STL Pride Day are going to handle the heat here…

Anyway, if the weather is nice where you are, then by all means spend it outside! And it's hard to be proud—or to even enjoy the pride of others—sequestered in your basement.

And it's hard to be proud—or to even enjoy the pride of others—sequestered in your basement.

Maybe this is why there's no equivalent to Pride Week for train geeks.  :grin

Leo - Your right, it's summer and honestly on a sunny day who wants to be inside. Why couldn't MB Klein re-stock my order during the winter. I'll have to wait for a rainy day.

I don't suppose Kato has invented weatherproof n-scale garden railways yet...

If the standard Japanese garden was bigger than a Japanese living room, they probably would have by now.

I have reserved this but cannot hold my excitment with the just released photos!

Wow--that's an impressive set.

If the standard Japanese garden was bigger than a Japanese living room, they probably would have by now.

T-scale garden railways?

I just cannot hold my excitement. TGV duplex will finally be available on July 17!

Yes, I promise to post more progress on my layout once it and my suburban station arrives.

This all depends on SAL from July 17 onwards.