Slightly OT: Where to buy Hobbytrain/Lemke/European Kato

nik_n_dad

Hello.

I'm only posting this here as there are so many members that appear to be outside of the U.S.

Nik and I like European trains as much as Japanese trains (ok, maybe I like European trains as much and Nik is more of a hard-core Japanese railroader, but I digress).  We're looking for places online to buy the hobbytrain / lemke / kato-europe trains.  Hobbytrain/MB Klein carries only a tiny part of the line, and we've been having a number of issues with Eurolok/TEE, and they seem to be the only two distributors in the US.  So, we're looking for suggestions in other corners of the world that ship to the US.

Thanks in Advance

Hobby Dreamer

Hi N/D

we've been having a number of issues with Eurolok/TEE,

I'm just about to order from them; what is the concern ?  Like you, I'm just as happy with Euro stuff as Japanese and I've been thinking about Hobbytrain and Lemke.. Some nice looking product!

Cheers

Rick

Other Euro dealers are:

Reynauld's

Euro Rail Hobbies

Ajckids

But, sorry no experience with these dealers.

Unfortunately, none of those three carry Hobbytrain/Kato/Lemke stuff (at least not the last time I looked).  They seem to focus on the traditional Marklin/Roco/Fleischmann etc... brands.  :sad:

When I'm looking for European items, I've found that the US shops don't actually have the item in stock but will order it when you place an order.  I sometimes order from two dealers in Germany who let you know if any item is in stock....generally it only takes them a couple of weeks to get an item to me (note that I'd prefer to order from one of the Canadian or US based online hobby stores because I think supporting their business is important):

DM-Toys has a really nice selection and a very easy site to navigate in English.  I've ordered a lot from them and have always been pleased by their service (he's also an "N scale only" vendor, which is kind of neat):

http://www.en.dm-toys.de/liste/hersteller/hobbytrain.html

I'd also highly recommend Modellbahnshoppe Lippe -  they let you know whether an item is in stock, and they often have some of the best prices on the web for new stock from any dealer.  I've also noticed that some of the N gauge hobbyists in France and the UK also order from Modellbahnshoppe Lippe even though they might have closer sources:

http://www.modellbahnshop-lippe.com/index.asp?l=gb

Between these two you should be able to find what your looking for from the H/K/L group.  Also, with the dollar now trading at around $1.23 Euro, its one of the best times in YEARS to get European stuff!

• Like 1
Guest Closed Account 1

I've dealt with all 3 dealers: Reynauld's,Euro Rail Hobbies,Ajckids.

Ajckids blindsided me one day by discovering an ICE-T coach in their inventory weeks after they said it was out of stock (forever). The one I needed to complete my set. They were nice enough to wait a week until I was back in town before billing and shipping. There other 2 are good to deal with especially for scenery.

Recommendation is:

Compare availability, prices, and shipping before buying.  Maybe you can buy a bunch a small things along with the model to make the shipping seem worth it.

DM Toys has a great selection and they do offer DCC installs and DCC light boards/Platina. Nice guy. Haven't bought yet.

Popondetta does sell the Euro Kato.

Oh, ModelTrainStuff does, too.

Here is another for sure. They carry it.

Www.eurolokshop.com

I've been having increasing problems with them, hence my wanting to find an alternative

Hobby Dreamer

Thanks Bill and Quinnopia !

Over the years I've found most of these sites but seem to have the same problem as others in that vendors seem not to have stock they display.

I once ordered about $500 of stuff from www.eurorailhobbies.com and they sent 3 things valued at about $60. The invoice told me they were out of stock for the rest. Had I known their site listed items that they "might" have instead of "do" have I would have gone elsewhere. It was a real disappointment coming from the post office with a small box.

I telephoned them a few months later and the clerk seemed indifferent to check for items in stock so, although they are in Canada (like me), I'd rather patronize a store that is on top of things.

Its great to be on this forum to hear others' experiences or their references and preferences..

Rick

Over the years I've found most of these sites but seem to have the same problem as others in that vendors seem not to have stock they display.

I telephoned them a few months later and the clerk seemed indifferent to check for items in stock

Yeah, the "not in stock, but we can get it for you" thing is aggravating.  We've had things on order for a year or more, and in some cases forgot about them, then all of a sudden, bam! a credit card charge and a surprise in the mail box. 

I haven't had the problem you mentioned with eurorail, they've always been very helpful and courteous.  The best service and communications has been Reynaulds for us.

Yeah, the "not in stock, but we can get it for you" thing is aggravating.  We've had things on order for a year or more, and in some cases forgot about them, then all of a sudden, bam! a credit card charge and a surprise in the mail box. 

Nik - Yes, that's the exact reasons I started buying more form the big shops in Europe....while I'd prefer to support a local shop, I've had too many situations where a couple of turnouts (or whatever!) show up that I needed a year ago!  I really with the US/Canada sites would be more clear about what is in stock, what hasn't been released, and what they have to order.  I wouldn't mind on certain items waiting if I could support my 'locals', but placing an order and then finding a lot of it is not available is annoying (although when this has happened with Eurorail or Reynaulds, they've also been good about removing the item from the order - If I remember to call them / email them about it).

Also makes it hard for 'gift giving'!  I gave my wife a few links to some sites for presents for Christmas's / Birthday's in the past, and she was really frustrated that nothing was available by Christmas time!

• Like 1