Boats & Water crafts

Bernard

ive bought from Paula's, did a small issue with getting things sent quickly that were listed and sold. finally worked out, but took like 6 weeks to work out.

their container ships and other boats look like they are the old burt industries castings that use to be on ebay, but disappeared a few years ago. maybe the same folks just a new name.

crane i bought was decent casting, not cleaned up as much as i would l have liked before painting, but easy to clean up and repaint. decent price.

custom rail modelers made a container ship for curt's layout that is pretty close as well!

http://www.japanrailmodelers.org/photos/kurtslayout/pages/page_55.html

cheers

jeff

Yes, I saw those and think they'd be interesting.  But I resisted the urge to preorder as whenever I do I seem to get a lot of small shipments with high shipping cost.  Hopefully they will be available for regular order the next time I buy some things. 

interesting, but unfortunately only a couple look close to n scale, rest seem much closer to Z or smaller.

wish there were more castings at n scale!

jeff

Put it this way.  At 1/200 you need 200 to equal the real thing.  At 1/160 you need 160 to equal the real thing.  1/200 is smaller.

Clearly it's the next dimension in modeling.  We had above-ground trains, then subways.  Now our harbors can be three-dimensional too (hmm, what kind of excuse can I find for a train on the bottom of a harbor...  :grin

ok here are a few boats for a small marina.

these are listed as 1/35 scale but not that at all. at 1/150 they appear a tad under scale for the boats they are but the sail boats will make reasonable ones with a little modification if you have people on them or if its just for the shapes they are fine. motor boats are not very useful, the big cigarette boat might be ok, but just too odd for most marinas. other cabin cruiser is sort of japanese style, but a bit under scale. few mods could make it a small one. good price at less than $1 each.

jeff

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380431776518?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Jeff - Could you picture the "water bug" on a layout? I think most people might think by accident a shinkasen was put in the river :)

Really does look like a spaceship in the water! But I think it goes up the area of ken's layout so we need him to add it to his river!,

I'm tempted just cause its so strange but true!

Jeff

Edited by cteno4

i broke down and preordered one! looks like it will be some tough paint masking on the top deck!

jeff

• Like 1

I'd missed this thread recently somehow.

I was aware of the prototype, designed by Leiji Matsumoto of Captain Harlock fame, and did indeed think it would look cool on my river, although it's probably too big for the rather scale-compressed river I have (there actually isn't much space between the bridges). But I hadn't known that anyone had made an actual model, much less one in 1/150 scale with a waterline body.  Ohhh, tempting, even if it won't fit...

There's a photo of the parts sprue on the HS page for it, and it looks like a very simple model to assemble. Painting, on the other hand; yeah, masking for that is going to be a LOT of work.

But I definitely want to see how yours comes out, Jeff.  Post photos of the assembly if you can.