Anybody Want A Free Trip To Japan To Be On TV?

Jcarlton

These variety shows are cheaply produced, and are often used as filler between the TV seasons.  I assume the production script is in flux until just a few weeks before shooting, they would of course have to have potential guests lined up earlier, especially those who have to come a long distance.

I worked in a film studio a while and got to get a glimpse into other studios that do this kind of of work (ours did natural history documentaries) and there is a lot of flux in the process. ideas are thrown out by clients and sr producers and jr producers have to run around seeing if the concept could work and they scrape together what is needed on what budget and timeline. it can seem very insane.

jeff

I understand the process and I see where they're coming from, but still, it's a bit frustrating to be in my position. I could have helped out on deciding on the program content and such things... (you know, getting a working visa in Japan 'n thang) :grin

Anyway, I'm told a conclusive answer will be given to me next week. So, let's hope for a positive result!

Sad news. I'll not be going, as the program isn't being made. Fuji-TV opted for a Samurai oriented program instead.

Might the program still be made, then I'll still go, but not for now.

Bummer toni, really sorry hopes got dashed like this. would have been a great trip to japan for you!

they contacted jrm as well and floated the idea of doing a show here in dc if they could get enough folks, i think it was going to be the novel american japan rail odaku train club! they were interested in the layout and such. i could see the wheels turning in the asst producers head about a respun pitch. they have a couple of staff in nyc and could easily get a shooter so would be cheap, but we only had a bout 3 folks that were willing to think about doing the quiz so that fell through. one of our members who speaks japanese and lived in japan a while then went through the audition process you did and just got the cancel word as well.

these kinds of shows do this, they float a lot of ideas and then start them going with staff to figure out which might be doable w/in budget/time and just do the one thats looking best at the time. other ideas may get refloated later or respun. Its a weird system, where its not necessarily the best content idea that wins, its just what they can do on time/budget and w/in parameters set by the client. i saw some of it with a couple of friends who worked in studios that did a lot of this stuff and advertising. very weird world.

cheers

jeff