Anybody Want A Free Trip To Japan To Be On TV?

Jcarlton

Saw this on JRS' face book page:

Hello. I work for a TV production company in Japan. We are now looking for Japanese railway fans who can come to Japan and participate in our TV program; "Iine! Japan Grand Prix ".

1) Do you have deep knowledge about Japanese railway? Can you answer trivial questions about Japanese railway?

2) Do you have significant and surprising collections related to Japanese railway? such as train models, and diorama or so on.

The filming will take place in September in Tokyo. The stay in Japan will be less than a week.

Please contact me at kinami@collab.co.jp with your self- introduction if you are interested in participating in our show.

As soon as I saw this, I wrote an email and sent it. This is too good to be true! :cool:

Thank you so much for the notification Jcarlton!

Japan Railway Society,

British Japan railfans

Well, not entirely. They also have branches abroad you know. The majority is however British IIRC.

Never heard of them. They have been in the Netherlands? Must have been a long time ago. Their website doesn't seem to be updated in a while either.

I wish you success, mate!

Saw this on JRS' face book page:

Hello. I work for a TV production company in Japan. We are now looking for Japanese railway fans who can come to Japan and participate in our TV program; "Iine! Japan Grand Prix ".

1) Do you have deep knowledge about Japanese railway? Can you answer trivial questions about Japanese railway?

2) Do you have significant and surprising collections related to Japanese railway? such as train models, and diorama or so on.

The filming will take place in September in Tokyo. The stay in Japan will be less than a week.

Please contact me at kinami@collab.co.jp with your self- introduction if you are interested in participating in our show.

well,.. maybe for point 2 I've a chance  :grin but I'm sure in Japan is not so hard to find a big collection like mine.

I ask to my big friend Naoto if in case we can met in Shizuoka, past May we met in Bologna and Milano for work trip (yes, it's Nao from Rainbowten, now he work for Aoshima)

Never heard of them. They have been in the Netherlands? Must have been a long time ago. Their website doesn't seem to be updated in a while either.

Thanks!

The guy who coordinates the EU memberships is even a Dutch guy I know for already 8 years or so now (Mark Veneman). So yeah, they are in and about the Netherlands a little ;)

Thanks!

The guy who coordinates the EU memberships is even a Dutch guy I know for already 8 years or so now (Mark Veneman). So yeah, they are in and about the Netherlands a little ;)

I still don't really get what the society does, but oh well.

I still don't really get what the society does, but oh well.

from their site:

The Japanese Railway Society (JRS) was founded in 1991 in London, England, to promote the knowledge of the railways of Japan in England and other non-Japanese-speaking parts of the world. Since 1991, there have been several activities like exhibitions (also of railway models), a TV-show (on Naruhodo The World, Fuji TV), many meetings in England, Germany and the Netherlands, and seven guided tours to Japan (in 1994, in March/April 1996, in October 1997 , in April 1998, in April 2000, in August 2001 and in March/April 2003. The membership is now more than 300 persons in about 10 countries worldwide.

basically folks who live outside japan that like japanese trains formed a group to talk about japanese trains, visit japan to ride them, and promote japanese trains outside japan (sound familiar). the society started in pre forum/social media days so this was the old school way of sharing interests with newsletters, trips, etc. Its a japanese train interest club with an extended range.

they dont have anything to do with the game show, they were just got contacted about it as they represent a group of folks interested in japanese trains outside japan (what the game show folks were looking for) and spreading the word about it.

jeff

Claude_Dreyfus

The JRS are a global group, but yes, the majority of the members are in the UK. I have been a member for about two years now, and they have a pretty good bi-monthly journal. Yamanouchi Oshika helps represent the society on the exhibition circuit...

Yes, I've seen their small newsletters ( in hand-me-downs among our club members), and I found it very interesting and informative.

Rich K.

Now I'm confused: Japan Railway Society, British Japan railfans. Huh? ???

Also, I've had my first interview on Skype today. I was pretty nervous, but it seemed to go well. I'll keep you guys up to date on this!

How did it go? Heard anything back yet? Must be nerve-racking!

I have had a few email exchanges, but no conclusive decision on me being selected by the program. The odds are however much to my favour I understand, so I have plenty of hope. :grin It's a bit nerve-wrecking, but I try not to think about it too much, as it could as well turn out to be a disappointment.

I'll let you guys know when I hear about the final decision!

So they are choosing one out of multiple persons I understand?

Talking about disappointments, I wanted to go to an anime convention coming week, but when I finally decided to order my tickets they were sold out... :sad: Really must NOT do that again and order in time, just like with train models. Sorry for the sorta off-topic.

Talking about disappointments, I wanted to go to an anime convention coming week, but when I finally decided to order my tickets they were sold out... :sad: Really must NOT do that again and order in time, just like with train models. Sorry for the sorta off-topic.

You're talking about the Abunai! 2012 in Veldhoven? Saturday tickets are sold out indeed, but Friday and Sunday are still available. I'm there the whole weekend and drunk.

Yeah, well I thought about that as well, the reason I wanted to go on Saturday was because most events are on that day. Maybe I'll give it another thought.

Yeah, well I thought about that as well, the reason I wanted to go on Saturday was because most events are on that day. Maybe I'll give it another thought.

If you happen to drop by anyway, visit me at the CheeseCake! Studio stand in the Dealer Room! You're not allowed to bring drinks as a guest, but I'm sure we'll have a beer or two (or more) for you hidden under the tablecloth. :grin

The show organisers are discussing whether they'll have train fans in the show or not a.t.m.

If the decision is made to bring over train fans, I'll be in with an almost 100% chance. I'll be in Japan in about a month from now if so...

Still, I have to sit it out for now. It's pretty frustrating, I can tell you that.

Isn't it kinda weird to ask people and then decide whether to do it or not? On the other hand, if nobody wants to come then they could scrap the plan but it's still a weird order to me.