Kato Unitram and DCC

Tyler B

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, but I searched and can't find the answer! I'm new here so please be kind!

I've just got my first Kato Unitram set, as this is standalone from my other N gauge rail interests I thought it might make a good starting point for getting into DCC (all my other N gauge stuff is currently DC only).

I was curious if anyone has done a DCC conversion on the Unitram Portram yet, if it is even possible, and if so what would be the recommended configuration for running a DCC tramway? I have no DCC controllers or other stuff at all yet but may eventually want to build up to four of five trams...

Any help would be appreciated

Hobby Dreamer

Hi Tyler!

Like you I thought briefly about DCC and trams and then thought against it.

DCC seems great for running more than one train on the same track, which is ideal for longer tracks but given that a tram layout will likely be small it may require a lot of control to run several trams. It might be easier to have trams run on separate track and control them independently.

DCC takes a time and financial investment that you could use elsewhere. When the trams and track were first announced I realized that I could live with 2 or 3 loops that are independent. Maybe have 2 loops run automatically and control 2 trams on the 3rd loop.

I still feel that way. The investment into DCC, if used elsewhere, could result in more fun - although less bragging rights. I'd rather have a switch/turnout than a DDC chip. I'd rather light my layout than worry about controlling multiple trams. Operation is really only a small part of the hobby!

There is a tendency for people to get caught up with technology but ultimately its the layout, or the trams themselves, the scenery etc that provides the most fun.

Some of the best tram layouts I've seen either are non-working or were of still photos; and they were great to look at. Kato now has switches/turnouts so if 2 trams on the same track bunched up it would be easy to switch tracks.

There is a large thread about controlling trams via optic sensors that is ideal for some uses. That might be a good investment if you want to run a lot of trams simultaneously.

For me, I'd be pumped to have a Kato tram - lights ablaze - running down a lit street.

Cheers

Rick

Thanks for your replies! I must admit my main reason for considering DCC is to keep the lights on constantly on the trams, whether stationary, slow or fast... Multiple trams on the same track would be fun but I seriously wonder how many trams I can afford, after all the unitram track and the buildings etc are not exactly cheap...

I know how you feel tyler. The lights not being consistant is my only complaint about the unitram... What you can do. (If you don't mind the noise) Use a DCC controller on your unitram layout, that would keep the lights on without buying a decoder.

Has anyone tried the tomix constant lighting controllers with the Unitrams? Might not work well with the voltage limiter circuit for the tiny motors though.

Jeff

As Rick opposes the idea of digitalizing trams, I think it's a great idea. At first, indeed, to keep the lights on. Secondly one is able to control more trams. This guy has DCC on all his trams: http://www.marks-modeltrambaan.nl/

My supplier thinks it isn't possible to put decoders on the Unitrams. I think I will give it a try.

I'm a newbie in the digital world, purchased the Ecos central station, still curious if I can control trains and trams with it.

I still feel that the Unitram system in N is the best there is. However: it would be nice if Kato shows more interest in the wishes of the customers. We need also single streettrack (yes I know, you may use unitrack), single turnouts, DCC preparation. And who needs the (left traffic) street plates? Just street track is enough.

This said, the quality is excellent.

Regards,

Leon

I've had the decoders to do my for for three years now. http://www.snjpn.com/ngdcc/de28/de28TLRKj.htm I've just never had the motivation to install them without a tram layout to run them on and having projects with more immediate rewards.

Controlling a lot of trams is only a problem if you try to control them all yourself, the fun would be having a half dozen or so trams each with its own operator and having to watch for the tram in front of you or opposing trams at intersections and junctions while following your assigned route and timetable.

Edited by westfalen

Hi there,

I sent one of my Kato Unitrams to be digitalized, but at the end I gave it up, as my supplier told me that I would lose the front and tail lamps. Now, I have my Kato in its box and bought a Tomix with an aftermarket DCC installed. It works fine and will get some more units to play them all together.

Westfalen, thanks for sharing that link.

• Like 1