1. 1. Which term do you use?

• Tram
    • Trolley
    • Traction
    • Light Rail
    • Streetcar
    • 電気軌道

Mudkip Orange

In my experience the Streetcar/Trolley distinction is a northern/southern thing. In the east the dividing line seems to be Baltimore/DC (DC is Streetcar, Baltimore is Trolley). In the west it's blurrier.

This poll needs an "all of the above".

I use "Trolley" when talking about historic light rail (I live in the U.S. Northeast), or "Light Rail" for modern stuff.  Except on this board, where I mainly use "tram" because that word is more commonly used in international English and by the members of the board. I'll admit I've never used "Traction" or "電気軌道" to date, but perhaps the right situation just hasn't come up.

And I think Mudkip's right about the regional use of Trolley/Streetcar, as while I've often read "streetcar", I've never heard the term used in person. However, I have read of "horse-drawn streetcars" on rails that predated the trolley, in books about northeastern cities in the nineteenth century, so maybe it was a more widely-used term that just fell out of use up here, but remained in use further south.

If you want to get technical, "Trolley" isn't really correct except for light rail with electrical pickup via a single (or double for two-wire systems) pole with a grooved wheel on the end. But it's often used generically, at least in parts of the U.S.

I've never believed there was one "right" way to say anything.  Particularly in English, where there are multiple words for any concept often with shadings of meanings, part of the fun is picking the right word for the audience and exact meaning you want to convey, while understanding that someone else won't always pick the same word for the same thing. So while I clicked "trolley", I vote "all of the above".  :grin

Strassenbahnfan

Talk about "muddy water" , I am originally from Pennsylvania where I have called them trolleys for years, but I model mostly european(Germany) so I use strassenbahn (streetcar), but with the explosion of model tram track(Tomy Tec and Kato) lately I am catching myself calling them trams. Since I model mostly the German version, I voted Streetcar.Like I said "muddy water". :)

It's Ok to Name it Streetcar if you so Desire. :)

Perhaps "Multi-Car-People-Moving-Vehicle-On-Rails-through-Streets" might be an alternative and more precise. It would sound better in German as a compound noun though....even if harder to pronounce.

Generally I prefer words like car bus train tram.

Although having 'bahn' in a word is always a plus :) ........cheers....Eisenbahn

Hi KenS,

Thanks for taking the Bahn/barn catch. I hoped someone would pickup on it.  Perhaps my earlier play on words about Tennessee Williams play Streetcar named Desire was a bit cryptic or not worth it.  never mind.  Australian English doesnt use Streetcar and it was the play/film ,Streetcar Named Desire,where I first heard the name Streetcar. Until the 1960s the East Cost capital cities here had trams but only Melbourne kept them. Sydney has recently reintroduced Trams but calls them Light Rail. They operate on streets and also their own light rail corridors. Brisbane had trams and trolley busses but they have long since gone.

Here is a photo from Karlsruhe Germany of what looks like a tram at the main station but which uses regular rail tracks.

Light Rail in Karlsruhe Station Germany

This is a photo of driverless light rail( 4 car set) in Kuala Lumpur but which looks like a train. (At Central Station)

light rail in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia

The light rail in Sydney Australia looks like Trams.

Sydney Light Rail

The test I use is if they run on the road with cars and people they are trams and if they run on rail corridors and use rail stations they are trains.  Although I found it a bit hard to call the one I saw at Karlsruhe a Train.
It is best just to call them whatever the locals call them when you are talking with them and thus 'All of the Above' would be a response I would choose.

cheers.......Ice&barn

Edited by Eisenbahn

All the new ones here are called "light rail" too.  At least all the ones I'm familiar with. Language has gotten too generic.

I think the distinction between "train" and "tram" is more than just right-of-way type. And I know they now have "tram-train" systems in some places in Europe, where the same vehicle operates somewhat differently on both kinds of right of way, which just complicates things more.

To me, a tram/trolley/LRV is differentiated from a train by a number of factors, but it's not necessarily an either/or kind of thing, as there are some that don't have all the characteristics, but are clearly one or the other (Tokyo's Setagaya line uses full-on stations and mostly a private right of way, but is otherwise clearly an LRV) and others that are just plain ambiguous (e.g. single-car diesel rail cars act much like trains, but share many of the chracteristics of LRVs).

Some things I think make a vehicle/system a tram/trolley/LRV:

- Lighter-weight rail