Permanent Layouts on Display

serenityFan

Hi all,

I'm planning a trip across parts of Europe (London - Paris - Brussel - Amsterdam - Essen - Munich) and I was wondering if anyone here can recommend some pretty layouts on display that I might be able to find in my path...

Maybe something like this http://www.miniatur-wunderland.com/

Only problem, Hamburg is not exactly in my travel plan...

Martijn Meerts

Miniatur Wunderland is worth a visit, but you need to plan to be there for at least 5-6 hours, and even then you won't be able to see everything. I went there a bit over a year ago and took a behind the scenes tour as well. It's all really rather impressive. In the end though, I think they went overboard, and started sacrificing details for size. Some parts look very rushed, and on the whole the layout is lacking in atmosphere.

There is a layout in Rotterdam though, which is real easy to reach if you're in Amsterdam. It's about a 10 minute walk away from the Rotterdam central station. The place is called "Railz miniworld", and is nowhere near as big as Miniatur Wunderland, but it has a lot of charm and atmosphere going for it. I might be biased being Dutch and Railz Miniworld using a Dutch prototype, but hey =) Their homepage is at www.railzminiworld.com

Darren Jeffries

Pecorama is worth a look in Devon, England. It is about a 2 and a half hour drive out of London:

Address: Peco, Beer, Nr. Seaton, Devon EX12 3NA, England

Tel: +44 (0)1297 21542      Fax: +44 (0)1297 20229

Also up here in my neck of the woods, Bourton model railway. About 1.5 hours from London:

Bourton Model Railway, Box Bush, High Street, Bourton-on-the-Water, Gloucestershire. GL54 2AN

Tel: 01451 820686

email:  info@bourtonmodelrailway.co.uk

and finally, Modelmania in Bristol. 1.5 hour train or 2 hour car ride from London:

13 Clouds Hill Road,  St George, Bristol,  Avon , BS5 7LD

01179 559819

Opening Hours: TUE-FRI 9.30am-6pm, SAT 9am-5pm

miniatur-wunderland is not to be missed in Hamburg and LAXX in Berlin too!  Also, if you love trains, you should definitely visit more of Germany.  Munich has a few hobby shops around the train station area.  Do a simple google search and you will find them.

Have fun in Europe, I will be in the Med for a month in April.

Thanks for all the info guys ... I'll have to see which one I can actually go to. Of course i should see plenty of prototypes, at the very least I'm taking the Eurostar out of London and also around Germany with intercity trains  ;D ;D

Martijn Meerts

You should take a trip on the ICE and travel first class... Last time I travelled in Germany by train I had to go from Hamburg to Cologne, which is about 4 to 4.5 hours or so. Reserved first class seats on the ICE, and while quite a bit more expensive, it was well worth it. Lots of space to relax, good service and very comfortable.. Trip felt way too short =)

Hey Martjin,

I can totally relate, my travel buddy and I sat at the first row of the ICE-T and watch the driver drives the train close to 300km/h going from Munich to Berlin.  That was quite an experience to remember...we got chocolates from DB too!

serenityFan

Sounds like real fun .... unfortunately due to the economic crisis, my wife and I have have postponed our trip. So I have to wait some more before I can ride the trains across europe  :(

Serenity - just saw this post, sorry to hear that you had to postphone your trip. A lot of us are in the same situation, we've had to cut down our expenses and I think most people have too.