Tomix Thomas & friends, infos required

a_faggioli

Good morning to all,

as I explained in my presentation message I would like to build a small layout for my sons running Thomas & friends. At this time we have the basic set containing Thomas and an oval with 280 mm curves. To save space it will be great if I could use 177 mm and 140 mm curves. Therefore I need to know if they can manage these radii. Also I would like to know what's the maximum grade they can climb. I'm sorry for the questions but here in Italy is hard to find the Tomix tracks and therefore I can't just try it. I will wait your answers before to start the trackplanning.

Bye

Ale

Davo Dentetsu

The size of Tomix Thomas trains tends to be small, so you'll probably get away with using many of the smaller and medium size trains.  Things like Henry and express coaches, on the other hand,you might struggle with in the smaller curves.  It's massive, to say the least.  :P

Hi Ale,

I've tried it with the basic Thomas-Annie-Clarabel set and found for the 140mm curves you will have to remove the British buffers that stick out on the bottom corners of the coaches. You can do it carefully, and only need to do the front end of each coach. Your sons don't even have to know...

Rcih K.

Hi guys,

thank you for your answers.

Maybe the best solution is to use large curves, so to can manage in the future regular trains, not only Thomas & friends.

Otherwise I can try to have a circuit with large curves for Henry and fill it with sharper curves for Thomas.

I'm going to think about it.

Bye

Ale

Guest Closed Account 1

I just received my collection of Tomix Thomas and friends N Scale trains. So tiny and light. 

What is the Part# for the Tender?

Is there a traction tire for Thomas other than Bullfrog Snot? 10.39mm wheels. Which wheels are most effective for installing the traction tires 2 or 3?

Did you convert it to DCC as seen on http://www.tcsdcc.com ? Add a light?

Did you replace the Rapido couplers with short shank knuckles?

good morning to all, I came back.

I'm thinking to go for modular, something like Fremo but double track and closed with two balloon. My son asked me for switches, turntable and roundhouse, so the first module I'm planning to build should be the attached "modulo_ballon_a".

This is only an idea because I need to know the minimum radius I can use for Henry and coaches (243, 280 or 317?). I have to study also how to connect the rails between modules (no connection, rail joiner or a bridge track maybe extensible).

The turntable is the cheap Atlas one. I have to connect it to tomix fine track. Any advices?

Well, to many questions, I stop myself here. By the way I added some other skecthes for other modules. I think it could be a great system.

Bye

Ale

post-912-13569931353316_thumb.gif

post-912-13569931354341_thumb.gif

post-912-13569931355675_thumb.gif

• Like 1

The set which includes Thomas, Annie and Clarabel uses C243 (243mm radius) curves, which is one size below the 280mm curves used in normal Tomix sets.

I like your module plans!

Rich K.

Edited by brill27mcb

Hello to all,

after five years I'm again here. My modular system is still under development while the kids are growing up and no more really interested in Thomas.

Now I saw that Tomix is selling three new sets for Thomas, Percy and James. I'm pretty sure that the first two can manage C140 curves because Tomix sells  sets including this curves (code 93705, 93706 and 93707). It will be great if also James could manage this radius. Did someone experience it?

Bye

Ale

Edited by a_faggioli

Hi all,

Rather than opening up a new thread - I am the proud of owner of a new Thomas N Scale - something I've wanted for a long time without spending almost $1000! Thanks TOMIX!

I am space confined and want to make the very smallest possible layout (circular) with as much rolling stock as possible.

Two questions:

1. What is the smallest radii - is it 140 is there anything smaller?

2. What are some very 'short' rolling stock passenger or freight that I could buy that would not look out of place on such small radii.

By the way I LOVE the train - I have a JR DE10 and JR EF66 and this is the smoothest train so far. very quiet as well. In love.. putting in an order for James now haha.

Tomix R140 is the second smallest with R103 being the smallest, but this generally is tram track.  Kato makes R150 and R183. Tomix also has R177.

Edited by bill937ca

I have the earlier release of the Tomix Thomas set, and it came with an oval of R243 curved track, one step smaller than Tomix's "standard" set size of R280 used in most of their other sets. I am a tram/trolley modeler. so I have the Tomix "Mini" R177 and R140 track and the "Super-Mini" R103 curves. The issue for the Thomas train is that the British-style buffers on the ends of the rolling stock hit each other on the tighter radii. It you are willing to take the buffers off one end of both Annie and Clarabel, the Thomas train will run around curves down to R140 at least. Can't be sure about the longer steam engines, since I do not own them.

Rich K.

2 hours ago, brill27mcb said:

I have the earlier release of the Tomix Thomas set, and it came with an oval of R243 curved track, one step smaller than Tomix's "standard" set size of R280 used in most of their other sets. I am a tram/trolley modeler. so I have the Tomix "Mini" R177 and R140 track and the "Super-Mini" R103 curves. The issue for the Thomas train is that the British-style buffers on the ends of the rolling stock hit each other on the tighter radii. It you are willing to take the buffers off one end of both Annie and Clarabel, the Thomas train will run around curves down to R140 at least. Can't be sure about the longer steam engines, since I do not own them.

Rich K.

Awesome yes I noticed the buffers even looked unwieldy on the R280. I will probably create a mini R140 loop and probably not use Annie/ Clarabel and find some more mini rolling stock.

Out of interest what is the most maneuverable tram/ trolley you have as I only have a 4'x2' space so the outer ring is very small, and basically would have no space in the inner ring but want to push the boundaries of how many trains/ tracks I can fit into 4X2

Thanks.