Swedish N scale modelling

Densha

I thought it would be more appropriate to start a new topic instead of continuing talking in the Kato EMD F3 thread, so here's my reply.

I think obaasan will be happy with the Fleischmann.  I was checking them out in Innsbruck, Austria a couple of years ago.  I was pretty impressed but didn't buy anything.

Where does obaasan live, anyway?

Cheers

The_Ghan

She already has an orange SJ Rc2, the blue Rc4 is basically a change in livery. It's a pretty nice model I think. There aren't that many Swedish N scale models out there, but she already has an Fleischmann SJ Du, and together with the Rc2 the only two Swedish trains she does have. There are only 5 Swedish N scale locos available that are affordable in total, and zero diesel locos or EMU's or DMU's. Then there are a few brown old passenger cars and about 10 different freight cars to choose from, not a large selection at all.

Also, her Rc2 and Du are DCC, and the blue Rc loco will probably be made in DCC too. If I'm right it has a plug so I can do it myself.

Sort of off-topic: She already has an Kato Thalys (old model) and a Trix Northlander too, but I don't know what she wants to do with that. I think I can DCC'ify the Thalys myself, if I'm right it's a drop-in decoder. Anyway, the DCC stuff comes later.

She lives in a neighboring city of where I live, and that's somewhere in オランダ. My grandpa has lived in Sweden for some years to work, Stockholm to be exactly. That's where their interest in Sweden came from.

It was price that stopped me back in Austria in 2010.  The Fleishmann and Marklin stuff was just so expensive.  Then I discovered Kato (in Europe).  By the time I got home and looked into it, I discovered all of the Japanese N-scale was much cheaper than the European.  As I'd lived in Japan and attended highschool in Kofu my "fate", for want of a better word, was sealed.

The SJ Rc4 loco is really compelling and has been modelled by both Fleishmann and Marklin in detail.  I particularly like the light blue version with the red panto.  Here's a few photos I found on the web (I don't own any myself) ... but you'll see what I mean.

Fleischmanns Roco

Marklins

Finally, have you seen inside the drivers cab of one of those things?  Typically Swedish ... and just so ... Volvo !!!!  Ugh!  They're even equipped with a set of jumper leads (orange).

Cheers

The_Ghan

Very true, especially Märklin is very expensive, and it's maybe even more expensive than before. I have something against Märklin though: the third rail is annoying and unrealistic, it's very expensive, they're very selfish with their products, and often the scale isn't even right (for example a scale of 1:93 even though it's sold as 1:87/H0). And Märklin fans often want Märklin products only too. Sounds like Apple don't you think?

The first link is not Fleischmann, but H0 scale Roco locos. My grandpa got the light blue of them, but we have to repair it for a while since some parts broke off. Roco still has a few other Rc models on sale. Fleischmann has the orange and light blue N scale models. The photographer of the Roco's has a pretty nice website on Norwegian trains by the way.

The Roco H0 model is about €180, not too expensive for a detailed H0 model. The Fleischmann N scale is about €160, what is almost 3 times more than a Kato EF65 for example, which is very expensive. At least those are the prices in the Netherlands.

No, I haven't seen the driver cab unfortunately. I don't know about Volvo either.

When I'm at my grandparents place soon for laying track (or at least making plans again) I hope to make some photos.

Densha,

Thanks for the clarification.  I have edited my post.

Looking forward to seeing the layout develop.

Cheers

The_Ghan

marknewton
They're even equipped with a set of jumper leads (orange)

G'day Nige, I'm home from hospital finally - hope everyone's well?

That gadget with the orange clips, not jumper leads. Track circuit shorting clips.

Mark.

Hi!

I can recommend a web page with 1000's of good photos of primarily Swedish trains - but also some other nice European photos.

The photographer is the editor of the only generic rail fan magazine in Sweden - "Tåg".

http://www.janlindahl.se/start.htm

Click on Railway Photos.

Danmark = Denmark

Finland

Industrilok = Factory locomotives

Norge = Norway

Schweiz =Switzerland

SL - pendeltåg = Commuter trains, Stockholm

SL - övr spårtrafik = Other local trains, Stockholm

Spårvagnar- Sverige = Trams, Sweden

Spårvagnar - Utlandet = Trams, abroad

Svenska diesellok = Swedish diesel locomotives

Svenska dieselmotorvagnar = Swedish DMU

Svenska ellok =Swedish electric locomotives

- Green Cargo (largest freight operator)

- SJ  (State Railways before the split)               

- SJ AB (largest passenger operator)

- Övriga (others)

Svenska elmotorvagnar = Swedish EMU

Godsvagnar = Freight cars

Personvagnar = Passenger Cars

Tyskland = Germany

USA

Utländska järnvägsbilder = Foreign Railways photos

Stationshus = Station buildings

Best regards,

Kitayama

(Revenue Manager, SJ AB)

They're even equipped with a set of jumper leads (orange)

G'day Nige, I'm home from hospital finally - hope everyone's well?

That gadget with the orange clips, not jumper leads. Track circuit shorting clips.

Mark.

Mark,

What happened?  Hospital?  Operation?  Sex change?

You missed our drinks night!  We found another another pub that sells Kirin.  Awesome.  Dinner was Thai ... not so good actually ... we'll do something different next time around ... goint to be mid-late September.

Back on topic: Yuh ... I guessed they were something like that to stop everyone being electricuted in an emergency.  However, the dash looks like a '70's volvo ... My father got a new volvo every 3 years ... the early ones actually came with a set of jumper leads.  I always thought it was an ominous sign ...  :grin

Take it easy mate.

Cheers

The_Ghan

• Like 1

@Kitayama

Thanks for the link! I'm sure my grandpa would love to browse that website. He is also subscribed to the Tåg magazine.

Nothing so exciting as a sex change, I just had my knee fixed. Somebody else cancelled their surgery and I got to jump the queue! :grin

You missed our drinks night!  We found another another pub that sells Kirin.  Awesome.  Dinner was Thai ... not so good actually ... we'll do something different next time around ... goint to be mid-late September.

I'm sorry I missed another night out, I promise to do better next time.

Back on topic: Yuh ... I guessed they were something like that to stop everyone being electricuted in an emergency...

Almost - they're to stop everyone being run over in an emergency. You use them to short out the track circuit controlling the signals on adjacent running lines. I've used them, they work! :cheesy

All the best,

Mark.