"Hida" or "Shinano"

Since I might be going to Japan in late September with a Japan Rail Pass, I have this question: which is a more interesting long distance express train from Nagoya, the Shinano on the Chuō Main Line, Shnonoi Line and Shin'etsu Mainline to Nagano or the Hida on the Takayama Main Line (with a short running on the Tokaidō Main Line--in reverse of all things!--from Nagoya to Gifu) to Toyama?

Hi Sacto 1985:

Although i have yet to travel on the Shinano, but i'll recommend the Hida Takayama line.

It is a very scenic line with lots of mountains and greenry, and the train passes through a few tunnels and very serene villages. I was there last March 2012 and it was snowing, so it's nice to see snow covered bed of hills and roof tops. Here's a thread i posted with some pictures from the Takayama line, on board the Hida Wide View Kiha-85: http://www.jnsforum.com/index.php/topic,6678.0.html

Even my wife, a non-train lover, liked our Hida train trip the most, being the most scenic and serene view all along the 3 hour journey... It's unfair for me to see the Hida has better view than the Shinano as i have yet to travel on the latter, but the Hida really boosts very nice greenry, with authum leaves even, if you are travelling there in September ~

Hope that helps! Do take some photos to share with us!  :grin

If you rode the Hida all the way to Nagoya, note how the driver reverses the train from Gifu Station all the way back to Nagoya on the Tokaido Main Line.

If you look from HODAREMATSURI's video here:

Note that the YT poster did this video probably within a few weeks of you riding that train! :grin I want to visit Takayama, since many of said it's one of the places the retains the charm of a old Japanese merchant town.

Ahah! Forgot to mention about the reverse thingy. I think it lasted for a station or two? Remembered flipping our seats as seating facing backwards on a train is not something good for the stomach... Especially after that Bento...

Did someone mention Takayama?

P1020431.jpg

P1020456-1.jpg

P1020447.jpg

Very beautiful and serene place! You must try the Onsen and the morning market!  :grin

Ahah! Forgot to mention about the reverse thingy. I think it lasted for a station or two? Remembered flipping our seats as seating facing backwards on a train is not something good for the stomach... Especially after that Bento...

According to Google Maps, JR Gifu Station is five stations on the Tokaidō Main Line south of JR Nagoya Station, so there is a pretty good distance the train has to travel in the "reverse" direction between these two stations.