14-801-1 Protram TLR 0600 Red Tram

welshdodger

welshdodger

Help Needed

I just bought a  14-801-1 Protram TLR 0600 Red Tram

I having major problems

It looks like a problem with one of the motors the wheels are not spinning, yet I think the motor is working

Its picking up current through the wheels that’s not spinning

I tested both motors I can see only the one set wheels spinning the side with the plastic pickup on top

Of the tram

If I put a small weight over this area it pulls a little better, put the small weight over the other end

No difference   

there was oil over the track, cleaned  it up

A little better performance you can hear the motors speed increase as I turn up the controller

But no increase in speed

has anybody had a problem like this

Thank you for your support

welshdodger

Hi Welshdodger

I don't have a Portram but I do have other Kato products. Most locos have the drive from the motor transmitted to the wheels via drive shafts. If these aren't properly seated at the motor and/or wheel end, the motor can spin but the wheels either won't turn or will slip. I've not had this problem with Kato N, but have with their HO models.

Proto 2000 US outline locos had a major problem a few years back where gears cracked leading to the symptoms you describe. Haven't heard of this on Kato N and I think it is highly unlikely, but might also be something to consider.

If you've just bought this, can you send it back for an exchange?

Best

Ian

Welshdogger,

the kato portrams are pretty unique new design. the motor is built into the truck itself and is a very compact drive mechanism. no drive shaft its all gears on the outside of the truck edges. some pictures here

http://s305.photobucket.com/albums/nn221/raylue/RailModel/KATO%20PORTRAM%20TLR/?action=view&current=P9.jpg

they are pretty tough to tear open and fiddle with, but folks have opened them and worked on repairing them. nice thing is they are so low you get the full interior of the car, bad thing is that makes them very tiny to fiddle with.

you can get a new truck replacement pretty cheap at like 1800 yen (like $23) but its been sold out in Japan (ive tried to get them from a number of sources and no luck). You might try contacting KatoUSA and seeing if you can order a replacement thru them as they will order spare parts from kato japan for you if you have the parts sheet and can circle the part. im assuming you are in the UK and i expect they will ship there.

cheers

jeff

welshdodger

Thank you Ian and Jeff

Sorted out problem It was one motor stop working

I taken the Tram down to our local model railway shop to check on their N Gauge

and they came up with the same diagnosis

As I only had the  Tram 2 weeks  I sending it back

Thanks for all your support

welshdodger

welsh,

this is a really new design and some reports of some dodgy ones out there. its a really tiny mechanism. expect they will improve. most folks have not had an issue though. good thing you can return to your supplier to hopefully get a replacement or fix from kato.

jeff