MA E10-1

keitaro

Got this today.

The model looks great.

It runs on 280 Curves but unfortunately I got a bad one.

It runs OK but the rods occasionally hit each other and jams a bit.

I did however expect this as the model is an older one and non fly wheel.

Pickup up is from the 10 wheels not from front 2 or rear 4.

The middle 2 wheels of the 10 set are flat and do not have the edges to hold to the track. I guess this is too help the model negotiate curves easier.

First video is before lubing second after seems to run a bit smoother but the rod jams still.

Maybe some adjustments may fix it, just not sure yet.

I had the same problem with my Kato C11. I did not run well right out of the box, one cause being the gears, that were totally "dry". A good lube job to care of that, but did not help to remove the "hitch in her gitalong". I found out, that one set of the drivers was not quartered properly. Took quite a bit of tinkering to solve that, but now she´s a sweet runner.

I suck at that stuff.

I been making a tank loco from world kougei must a taken 12 Hrs to get everything perfect lol

My Ma c11 Took about 4 days and same for the 9800.

That's one thing I hate about steamers never as simple as a dmu or emu due to their complex and fragile designs.

keitaro,

You going to bring this puppy along on Friday for show-and-tell?

:grin

Cheers

The_Ghan

keitaro,

You going to bring this puppy along on Friday for show-and-tell?

:grin

Cheers

The_Ghan

Nope sorry sent it back today. they said they will see if they can fix the model up to run better or replace it

Good on you.

I hope they get it working for you.

If I collected steam I'd probably be asking for each loco to be road tested before shipping.

Cheers

The_Ghan

normally I would ask but I did expect it not to be a great runner from comments on mixi .

Also the shop I bought this have a reply paid so if it was bad I could try swapping it for another E10.

When things settle down next year I plan on collecting every steamer possible lol

That's one thing I hate about steamers never as simple as a dmu or emu due to their complex and fragile designs.

That`s why I have never added a steamer.

That`s why I have never added a steamer.

Ahh but you miss out on such an excellent set of models. I love running my steamers slowly around watching everything work.

I have to say the best steamers i have running wise are the kato D62's and my tomix c57-1.

I find the katos are just abnormally fast but great detail. The c57-1 is great detail but it can crawl like nothing else.

just to conclude my story.

I returned the model before i left for japan 6 weeks ago for a replacement/warranty, mostly because i was missing a bit of detail on it.

so they swapped the model but noted it also runs poorly as all of them do (lol)

It's non flywheel btw.

so i got it home and on both my inner and outer loop it would jam 3 times  more on outer doing only 1 loop.

so I lubed the model, added some tape under the rear 4 wheels as it seemed like they were causing shorts.

I also fled the front 2 wheel holder to rounder edges as they also looked to rub on ocasions.

I then loosened the screws about 1/5 of a turn.

It now just did 8 loops on 30% power with out jamming. then it got stuck on a turnout (another problem some steamers have)

I don't think this is a pick up issue it picks up on all 10 wheels.

If anyone has the MA C11 you would notice the rear 4 wheels have small wires to add extra pickup. This model does not but it is the same part, I was thinking of modifying this but again i probably will leave it for now as i don't think pickup is the issue.

more a combo of bad gearing and non flywheel.

On my journeys i pulled the thing completely apart and have learnt this thing would be near impossible to dcc with a digitrax but could likely do a lenz mini in front.

I'm uploading a video to you tube from my phone. 180mb and is taking forever and i have other things to do with the wife so i'll be linking later tomorrow morning.

video of it running now.

Some times it clickes so i think the gearing is loose inside either from loosening screw or just internal issue.

• Like 1